I've started my first conversion!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbx7

Reaction score
I purchased a 1996 Chevy Conversion van. The conversion was done by Coachman. Here are a few pics from the add off Craigslist.

Attachments

• 00v0v_h7FymaD24Z7_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_h7FymaD24Z7_600x450.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 00000_jQtftStFlG6_600x450.jpg
    00000_jQtftStFlG6_600x450.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 00G0G_lJuQehXzpit_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_lJuQehXzpit_600x450.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 00H0H_jvfpQTNyOTJ_600x450.jpg
    00H0H_jvfpQTNyOTJ_600x450.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 14
Here are some of the in progress pics. I haven't stripped it down to the bare walls yet as it is cold here in Denver. I'm going to use it like this for a while and do that work in the spring. I'm not going to be living in it but I plan on taking a lot of road trips across the west. My next project will be a house battery and electrical. 

This is still my daily driver so I needed to keep the bench seat in the back. It does fold out to a queen size bed. I haven't gotten a mattress yet. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0127.jpg
    IMAG0127.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
I've also purchased this stove to put on the lower cabinet.

Attachments

• IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 12
Chrisbx7 said:

This is still my daily driver so I needed to keep the bench seat in the back. It does fold out to a queen size bed. I haven't gotten a mattress yet. Any suggestions?

Are you planning  on keeping it because you need the seating with the seat belts. If it's not needed for legal seating you might want to think about replacing it entirely with a bed that provides storage underneath. There's lots of plans around for both permanently placed beds and pull out options that will do the job.

If I'm correct I'm seeing 'pleather' or naughahyde as the cover material on that. It's going to be prone to moisture collection when sleeping on it even if covered with a foam mattress topper. It's usable but you'll have to be very aware of moisture problems and be proactive about airing bedding out regularly.

Most of my friends who tried using the 'came with the van' bed quickly found out that they weren't the best for sleeping on, kind of like a pull out sofa...ok for guests but not something they'd use regularly.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I want to keep the seat in for now. Like I said, I'm waiting until spring to strip it out completely.

Actually the material, I think, is real leather. The bed isn't to bad right now. I was thinking about a futon mattress as a topper. Just wondering if anyone else has done the same thing.

Hi Chrisbx7, nice looking van. That stove is the same one I am planning on going with when I finally get my circus going. Hope your trip goes great!

I also have a conversion van although not as nice as yours. I, too, am keeping the bench seat in for now as I will need the seats periodically. I picked up a futon mattress (they are plentiful near me on CL free section) with the idea of putting it on top. Its to heavy and takes up to many inches for me. You may feel differently.

I'm deciding between a quality foam topper or reupholstering the bench seat. Going to research cost of doing the reupholstering myself. A quality foam topper takes up a few inches that I'd rather have for storage space. Plus they are pricey too. Inexpensive toppers can be had but it seems like you get what you pay for. Another plus for reupholstering is I wouldn't have to store the topper when I use the bench seat.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great van. Have fun with your conversion.

Oh, when I say reupholstering I am talking about redoing the foam. Not necessarily putting a new fabric on top. I'll try to reuse fabric if I can.

Welcome aboard! I got a '96 Ford last month similar to yours. Decided to take out the back seats after laying on it a while. Getting the bed out was a booger!! Best of luck!!

Greetings and Welcome!

One of the biggest mistakes people make is removing the factory or after market professional walls, ceilings, and floors. Not only is it time consuming and expensive, it is usually detrimental to both your health and the health of your van.

The insulation in these things is designed to prevent moisture and mold build up in all weather conditions. Almost every insulation plan I've seen does not take that into account, and people wind up worse off than they were to start with, whether they realize it or not. That's why all these converted cargo vans are rusted out at the bottom, is because they created moisture build up problems. By the time you realize you screwed up, it's too late.

My window van still has all of the stock insulation and I have spent time in both the frozen north & steaming south. The secret is in your heating and cooling equipment, and good ventilation.

Unless you believe you already have moisture or mold problems, my suggestion would be to keep it stock for starters. You can always change it later, but you'll likely never be able to get it back to where it is to start with, which may well be the best choice to begin with.

It looks like you have a pretty good looking plan for the interior. There are some good plans here for toilets & showers, and I highly recommend having them on board. Mine make my life SO MUCH BETTER!

I keep my house battery totally separate from my vehicle's systems, other than to plug it into the cigarette lighter while driving to keep it charged. Minnkota and some others have some nice boat battery box power centers that already have accessory outlets installed in them, for a quick and easy house battery setup. Then I use a lighter to lighter jumper cable to keep mine charged.

It's a wonderful life, good luck and have fun!

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Greetings and Welcome!

One of the biggest mistakes people make is removing the factory or after market professional walls, ceilings, and floors.  Not only is it time consuming and expensive, it is usually detrimental to both your health and the health of your van.

The insulation in these things is designed to prevent moisture and mold build up in all weather conditions.  Almost every insulation plan I've seen does not take that into account, and people wind up worse off than they were to start with, whether they realize it or not.  That's why all these converted cargo vans are rusted out at the bottom, is because they created moisture build up problems.  By the time you realize you screwed up, it's too late.

Now THAT is good advice! I remember when my friend who gave me my van bought it. The ceiling really did need to come out, it was over 30 years old and had spent it's life baking itself into a crunchy layer of dust matting that rained upon us when inside the van...MAN did I get sick breathing that stuff. I managed to get a few good lungfulls while tearing it out. Lost my voice for days, green stuff coming out my lungs, nose and eyes...very bad. Not as bad as the '63 Scout 80 I bought that cats had been breeding in but bad. We also tore out the icebox before realizing we shouldn't have.

I also agree that many insulation plans are inadequate. My walls were done poorly 40 years ago and luckily this van spent 37 years in Arizona so no rusted out walls...yet. I discovered that between the wood paneling and the metal wall there is nothing...yes nothing. That won't do anymore here in Seattle. This spring for a 40th birthday present the van is getting an extensive re-paneling and I have some good ideas about how to keep the insides dry. Hopefully it works.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
 Then I use a lighter to lighter jumper cable to keep mine charged.

That is a great low tech way of charging the house batts!

But now that I think about it, . . . that would leave the batts unbalanced. The alt won't fully charge the house batts after the starting batts are full, or it's going to over charge the starting ones to top off the house. That will shorten the life of one or the other, at least that's how I understand it from having a diesel w/ 2 batts. Am I wrong?

LowTech said:
But now that I think about it, . . . that would leave the batts unbalanced. The alt won't fully charge the house batts after the starting batts are full, or it's going to over charge the starting ones to top off the house. That will shorten the life of one or the other, at least that's how I understand it from having a diesel w/ 2 batts. Am I wrong?

Well, I can't say for 100% sure, since I've only been charging my house battery that way for about a year, but so far I have had no problems.

I'm currently on year six on both my starting and house batteries.

I never seem to run out of power or have a dead battery, so I must be doing something right.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm balancing out the cost versus benefit of ripping it out to bare metal and starting over. I might strip the interior of the extended top and install an exhaust fan. I will, at that time, insulate the interior of the extended top. The walls will remain as they are.

I just want to be semi-comfortable while I'm out seeing this great state I live in. I could see myself spending 2-3 weeks max out on the road at a time. Most of the time it will be for Friday until Sunday night. That's why I'm trying to balance the cost / effort versus the comfort factor.

Here's what I have in this project so far:

1996 Chevy G10 Van - 105,000 miles - $5,000
New tires - $800

sorry about the last post.....I hit the wrong button. Here's what I want to know

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm balancing out the cost versus benefit of ripping it out to bare metal and starting over. I might strip the interior of the extended top and install an exhaust fan. I will, at that time, insulate the interior of the extended top. The walls will remain as they are.

I just want to be semi-comfortable while I'm out seeing this great state I live in. I could see myself spending 2-3 weeks max out on the road at a time. Most of the time it will be for Friday until Sunday night. That's why I'm trying to balance the cost / effort versus the comfort factor.

I'm not doing to bad right now, I've only got about $7,000 in everything so far. That's buying the van, new tires, new shocks, replacing the interior lights with LED lights, carbon monoxide detector, solar shower, 24" LED TV and mounting arm, two 5 gallon water containers, solar/crank flashlight & solar lantern (both recommended by Bob and are great products, Thanks Bob!), 62 quart cooler, Camp Chef stove and cabinets and trim.

My next endeavor is the house battery. I've got a spot right behind the drivers seat and the cabinet that will fit the battery. I was thinking about mounting it there.

Does anyone know of any negative effects there will be on having the battery behind the drivers seat? I plan on getting a sealed battery that does not need to be vented.

Chrisbx7 said:
My next endeavor is the house battery. I've got a spot right behind the drivers seat and the cabinet that will fit the battery. I was thinking about mounting it there.

Does anyone know of any negative effects there will be on having the battery behind the drivers seat? I plan on getting a sealed battery that does not need to be vented.

That is a common spot folks use.  I intend to do that to, either in the bedframe/box, or under the floor in the forward left void beside the frame.  That would give more room inside the van and make venting easier.