issues with fiberglass hightops?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmattter

Reaction score
I'm just getting into this van thing and have two options available to me and I'm still undecided, though admittedly leaning to the chevy.

2014 Promaster: already has a basic build with a folding bed ([font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]though its too high)[/font], "garage" under the bed, battery, led interior lights with switches, 2 dc outlets, isolator, roadshower, DC fridge, cracked windshield, somewhat worn tires, not inspected, 170k kilometers, $24k

2008 Chevy 2500 Hightop: not built, some insulation but probably has to be ripped out if its fibreglass, already inspected, 150k kilomoters, $15k

So for $10,000 more I get a promaster long wheel base extended that's somewhat built out. I like the chevy better because its not bad its 5'9 across and 10'9 long for living space and it's more stealth and maneuverable which is important to me. I also don't mind building it out myself because I'll have to learn eventually. 

My biggest concern is the high top. It's somewhat curved, I wonder if I should even cut a hole in it for fans? I also think that any solar I put up will need additional support as I've seen other topics talk about supporting it on the metal frame and not the high top. Any other issues with the hightops?

You can easily cut holes in it and secure brackets for solar or Velcro flexi panels to a Fibreglass roof.

Is the high top really tall enough for you? Personally I would go with the Chevy probably will be cheaper in the long run as well. Another plus is you can tow with it so if you need more space later you have options.

Welcome to the CRVL forums darkmatter! It's okay to include links to the vans that you are considering. Sometimes it helps to have more eyes to spot problems that you may not notice.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I used industrial strength velcro to hold my flexible panels to my fiberglass roof. They have been on there for over 4 years now. Industrial strength velcro can be found at most home stores (lowes, home depot).

Without links or pictures it is hard to make any recommendations.

Price a new motor for both of them. You will really like the Chevy then! The topper looks a lot like Bob Wells, maybe contact him.

the Promaster is front wheel drive. I wouldn't want it if they paid me to take it. highdesertranger