Is this minimalism? Discuss.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,everybody has their own opinion about life.I like my toys and small luxuries.I just bought a piece of land in NC and immediately built a 12x12 storage building.There's an old trailer on the property so I have a full hookup for the camper.I already filled the building with clothes,tools,golf clubs, reloading bench,etc.I don't think I would want to spend that much money on a camper.

If you successfully live in a van with no extra storage unit anywhere, you are a minimalist...about the same as living on a boat. You learn what you must have really quick in those situations, and start paring down the junk that you don't need.

The rig in the original post is more along the lines of glamping, and not owned by someone who wants to be out in nature, but rather in a high profile CG where they can be seen.

I guess what interests me is how people define for themselves where the line is. (And, as I mentioned, I fear my choices becoming more limited as more people rely on rigs with washers and dryers in them.)

We all know folks who physically couldn't travel unless they have a pretty house-like rig, and I'm really glad they have those amenities available. I can't imagine being unable to go anywhere due to physical issues.

I'm very happy in my no-build van with my portable power station. But even that is a pretty far cry from the days, many years ago, when my sisters and I and assorted Significant Others would have our tents and our kerosene lanterns in our cars ready to leave to go camping on Friday after work. 

Alas, I still have a storage unit. So maybe I'm not as minimalist as I think I am either!

Interesting thread you've started here, and just as interesting is your opening line in the above post. Where that person draws this line is directly related to where they are standing so is quite fluid, not carved in stone as a law, more of an opinion and perhaps some justification and rationalization thrown in for personal feel good. What becomes all too common though is the divisiveness that inevitably presents itself and can be seen in a person's perspective and comments regarding someone else's source of joy.

Of course this is not directed at you, just an observation of something that continually appears.

Where I live there is little joy and a whole lot of competition. So that part I’m not buying. That those gigantic hideous gas eaters are just bringing joy. Or that it’s a form of minimalism.
These are people who live in $5 million homes and are furious if anyone posts on the local website they’ve given $20. to a homeless person. And who were enraged that one single man in a “gray van” had the stones to park on a local street.
I live in a state with virtually no middle class. And when I walk my dog I see garages overflowing and even living rooms with junk floor to ceiling. If you own more than you could possibly use in several lifetimes then you are not feeling joy. I’m assuming I live among the not 1% but pretty close and these are not happy people. They are greedy and competitive and spend much time policing each other and trying to outdo each other and engage in humble bragging. I’ll take the guy in the “gray van” any day over these joyless hypocrites.