Is this minimalism? Discuss.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The luxury trailer gets more interesting and more independent"

Luxury typically doesn't equal minimalism in my book. I stopped at the sub-title.

They did say that the bed alone cost 20k, you could get a nice van build done for that price. 
-crofter

I could not even afford to maintain a vehicle like that. In fact I really don’t want anything nearly that fancy. If I wanted to live like that and could afford to live like That I’d buy a Tesla and travel from luxury cabin the luxury cabin. Not for me even if I had the money. And as far as the wealthy taken away all of our campsites I don’t think they have the strength to leave the nomad life you’re too spoiled. God bless the nomads especially us poor ones.

Minimalism? Hey that is a very personal view to each of us so yes for some, heck no for others :)

I am a true minimalist type and my home is way sparse, ain't cluttered, clutter destroys me as in with gadgets around me and more......so for my personal thoughts, NO THIS is not something I would shy away from. I give up land taxes and maintenance to have some convenience and power on the road, if I do have the bucks I spend them as I WANT and NEED for my lifestyle and I am a super frugal person along with being minimalist type LOL

No worry wart truly cause there are tents, to car living to luxury rvs that floats someone's boat and just let it go down as it needs for each of us.

I require XYZ and while another might not, I feel each person's individual 'definition of minimalism' will come into play.

I don't think judging those who want and require means one can't allow it to be just that ya know. Would I buy it, need it, require it, nope, but many will and they will be 'downsizing to just that' a luxury rv that cost bucks from a 8,000 sq ft mansion in a high property tax area and they want change....this could easily be their change ya know....so I am cool with it. All walks of life and our personal journeys come into play here so in the end, very cool rig and go for it if ya want it, pass it on by if ya don't.

why does my post look so different than the one originally there

This looks like a very expensive version of my camper that I bought 5 yrs old used for 1/3 the price of new....($9000). I pulled the following from a google search on the living vehicle 20201.;

"the living vehicle 2020 has a retail price of $199,000 and the company plans to produce only 25 of them, according to dwell.Sep 11, 2019"

It seemed pretty minimal to me. It seems like a self-sustaining house that can be moved more easily than a mobile home. It costs the same as a house. Not my thing at all. I’d either want a small Class B (new ones can cost up to $185,000) or a very small house/condo. But then I don’t want to live long term on the road and for $200,000 I could travel the world and visit every single one of my dream places.
But it’s more minimal than most homes/condos.

I’m probably going to get this post removed but what about those ginormous RVs usually a garish black and gold? I mean people buy those and travel in them isn’t it the same size and idea? After a childhood spent with 5 people camping in a tiny truck with pop out sleepers those things have always boggled my mind. Maybe it’s less garish even though the idea is identical. Same thing different market. ?

Sofi - AMEN - I am with cheap RV living and even proud of it. I’d like to think that if I had tons of money I still wouldn’t spend it on something so lavish. It’s certainly nothing that will ever appreciate and be worth more. Drive a rig like that off the showroom floor and it loses almost 20% of its value. I once had a car dealer call me and say hey the car is the second biggest investment you’ll ever make. I said you mean you sell cars that are investment. That means they increase in value. CarS, motorhomes and campers are an expense not an investment. That’s why real estate is real and vehicles are not real estate. God bless the nomads especially the cheap ones.

nature lover said:
CarS, motorhomes and campers are an expense not an investment. That’s why real estate is real and vehicles are not real estate.  God bless the nomads especially the cheap ones.
And you 've got it right, nature lover. No vehicle is an investment. They are all liabilities.
Bless you and the rest of us.

Sofisintown said:
And you 've got it right, nature lover. No vehicle is an investment. They are all liabilities.
Bless you and the rest of us.
Almost everything is a liability.  It's extremely hard for me, being poor to lower middle class most of my adult life, to not accumulate things and thus liability for them, if only in terms of space.  God forbid I put anything on credit.  Not wise.

I find it so hard to divest myself of my responsibility to my things, and my covetousness of my things.  I've been trying for years to undo the habits of a lifetime of bad thinking put on me by a status-conscious family and society, in which things signaled accomplishment even to the extent of virtue if we were willing to fall in line politically and grant that we live in a perfect meritocracy and STFU.  If we live in a meritocracy, and you are doing your best, why isn't your TV as big as mine?  Surely nothing could ever be wrong with our perfect system in a perfect world, unless you were a less than perfect part? SHUT UP!!!  Let's all endorse the perfect, self-regulating, hallucination.

Now how am I to throw away an old paperback, when it constitutes proof of my soul and accomplishment?  It is this THING that I got through by work, that I purchased by money, that I can at least bluff through understanding or caring about.  Thank God it's over.  But that ... it's my THING!  How do I dispose of it?  Even selling it for peanuts is multiple kinds of shame.

It's more than once that I've wished a bulldozer would eradicate all my possessions and sign over a check for 1/10th the value; I'd feel I'd gotten the bargain of a lifetime even as I mourned the criminal tragedy of it all.

I feel you Dingfelder.
Getting rid of possessions is not for the faint hearted, and I'm not sure my heart is up to the standards.
I can't take what I deem worthy of keeping with me, and I will have to pay for it, one way or the other.

I, personally, believe my struggle to rid myself of things I don’t want, need nor use comes from being raised by a mother who was raised during the Great Depression.

If it is still useful, keep it. If it doesn’t have holes in it, it can still be worn, and if it does have holes put a patch on or mend it. If you can squeeze another meal out of broth made from the bones and skin of that chicken you have already eaten 3-4 times, it is wrong to waste it.

As for things/clothing still useful, if I take them to Goodwill or the Thrift Shop they are then available for someone else to use and therefore, not wasted nor frivolously disposed of.

It’s a struggle, but we’re all always a work in progress.

I had a lot of trouble getting rid of meaningful things like things connected with loved ones, family heirlooms, antiques, and signed books. I had an 1751 book printed on Ben Franklins press a piece of the Berlin Wall and more. I was much more content seeing them go to people who could understand and appreciate them than selling them. As far as having a rig like that I have no desire. having lived in the simple culture of A very conservative religious community for most of my years I have learned that living in luxury is vain and foolish. I don,t care much about how new or worn my clothes look as long they are clean. Staying in line with. The original post on this thread I would never want to own and maintain a luxury glamper.