Is 412K miles too many for a Sprinter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is 412K miles too many for a Sprinter?

• Total voters
It looks good to me, of course I'm a sprinter fan.  My first sprinter had 315,000 when I bought it, when I sold it at 400,000 it ran great.  They often go 600,000 miles, just make sure you change the oil every 10,000 miles and use mobile 1 0 w 40.

If I needed a van, I'd go for it, provided it runs great and isn't showing signs of "black death".  You need to take the valve cover off to check for "black death", it is when a fuel injector leaks and makes like a black volcanic rock around the leak.

The fact that he doesn't say "new tranny or new engine" makes me think it has received neither. Before considering a Sprinter, locate the nearest dealership that has sprinter certified mechanics...it might be further away than you suspect.

You would definitely want to have a mechanic well familiar with Sprinters go over that, there are many things to look for. Here's a good starting point: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

I would think that anyone who's had a Sprinter for a long time would put a bit more effort into their sales pitch, especially if there aren't any issues. New tranny and engines on those things are veeery expensive...as are many other repairs.

That said, if it truly is problem free after 400k+ miles, it might well have another 400k in it. One thing you may have noticed about forums and Amazon reviews, not even 1% of the people who own a product ever make a post, and those that do are usually the ones that sought out a forum because they were having a problem....

Thunder Dan said:
Looking at this one, that mileage is kind of scary. What do you guys think?

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/5418665181.html

I don't know if it was this forum or another. One lady had one (Mercedes)  (Paid quite a bit for it) she LOVED it. She could do nearly all the work on it. From changing out injectors, alternators and other things. She adored it and for the power and ability it still had to go up roads others feared to tread...

I met a dude that was selling his 1990 Chevy Celebrity. He was bragging how it was so good that he never had to put a water pump in it or starter or other things. Because of that he was asking an inflated price. At those miles, you absolutely will need to put some money into seals, rack and pinion, CV axles, etc. The engine may have quite a few miles to go, but not everything will last 150,000 200,00 miles without repair or replacement. In his case, he should have been selling the car for less than average because soon it was going to need several repairs that will jack up the cost of the car.

The same thing for that Sprinter. Get a list of what has been repaired or replaced. Some sellers hate it when potential buyers ask for proof instead of taking them at their word. Walk away from people like that. If sellers don't want to or can't objectively disclose the condition of their vehicle, it's not worth the risk.

400,000+ miles on a diesel is still a lot of miles. Some will last 600,000 miles, but most won't, especially if it hasn't been maintained perfectly. 300,000 to 400,000 is considered high mileage and usually near the end by most. Of course there are exceptions. No matter what you decide, always have a trusted, competent mechanic check it.