Inverter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabbyjerry

Reaction score
Hi, would anybody know of a reputable and reasonably priced expert to tell me what's wrong with a magnum inverter. Came out of our motor home several years ago and replaced as we had a trip planned and couldn't wait to have unit checked out. It's been sitting in box in my garage and I'd like to do something with it. Thanks for any info or advice on what to look for to see what might be wrong. Gerard

The usual culprits in electronics failures is blown capacitors or fried transistors.

Often, failed capacitors will have bulging endcaps.  Failed transistors might appear burnt or cracked.

I do not know of any electronics repair places.  Stuff today is meant to be disposable I guess.

bulging_capacitors.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=fai...RuCBcQQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=failed+transistors

I hope to fix my old engine computer by replacing all the capacitors, and reflowing some solder on components that have large heatsinks attached and are subject to high thermal stresses.

If my attempt fails I guess i will send it out to be repaired to one of the ECM/PCM remanufacturers

Helps to keep electronics cool with plenty of ventilation.  The best computer fans still collect dust on their blades, and move less air.  Dust on internal heatsinks can really skyrocket component temperatures.

Have you checked with Magnum for a list of approved service centers?

Alternatively, if you could locate a local amateur radio club, there might be a member who is good at tinkering with electronics . . .

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Have you checked with Magnum for a list of approved service centers?

Alternatively, if you could locate a local amateur radio club, there might be a member who is good at tinkering with electronics . . .
Thanks for the replies. I called manufacture back when, but they told me over phone that there are several boards that might be bad and at the time I didn't want to gamble with it so I bought a new one. I looked at a tv light board and it looked perfect to this electronic novice and when I got a rebuilt one, the tv now works. I think I took a quick eyeball to check inverter board and didn't see anything burnt that I recall but I guess I can dig it out of garage this summer and look again. Units probably around 1200. So I would hate to just scrap it without double checking it. Any more ideas send them my way. Thanks again.

Latest posts