Introductory for RonDean

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonDean

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that we are encouraged to post an introductory message. I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am a retired man now living in a converted cargo trailer. That may sound like I have this figured out, but I do not. My CTC has been parked on my daughter's property since I moved into it. Partly because of western wildfires/smoke, Covid19, and other reasons outside my control. However, part of the reason is also because I just don't know where to start.

It would be great if there were a caravan or friend(s) willing to mentor me for a bit, so I could learn the how and where to travel at minimal cost and maximum enjoyment.

Welcome Ron to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

What general area are you in?

Highdesertranger

Do you want to travel a lot, or take it easy and stay for extended periods of time in any one place? Have you taken any road trips in your CCT?

RonDean said:
.... I just don't know where to start.

It would be great if there were a caravan or friend(s) willing to mentor me for a bit, so I could learn the how and where to travel at minimal cost and maximum enjoyment.

This forum has oodles of tips on many topics, so spend some time going thru the sub-forums. If you just go to a nearby campground and stay a few days, you will probably meet some seasoned campers who will give you some good info.

Also,there are good opportunities to swap BS stories if you happen to run into other retired travellers. I just spent 4 days at a free campground in NM doing just that. It was piled high.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the CRVL Forums  :)

Believe it or not you are off to a good start already. You have a cargo trailer to live out of while investigating how to progress.  And you are using your reasoning to avoid peril while living in the outdoors.  Safety is or should be anyone's first consideration when living as a Nomad in a rig,  as the rig isn't as durable as a sticks & bricks stationary facility. 

The advantage with mobility is that you can outflank weather and disaster events such as wild fires, tornadoes, etc.  A good weather app may be one of the things you will want to have on your Cell. (even a weather radio)

Next,  figure out if you want to travel, camp during the week in State & National Park Campgrounds, (seniors days are usually Monday thru Thursday....you could meet a lot of other experienced seniors there) or actually get off to yourself and "boondock" on free BLM (Bureau of Land Management) grounds for a few weeks at a time.  Those who enjoy nature, photography, art, astronomy, hiking, or just being alone, etc seem to like it.

If you wish to travel and stay clean,  you can join one of the nationally syndicated Gyms such as Planet Fitness where they have plans so that you can use any of their locations.  Then there are websites to show laundromats everywhere so you can have clean clothes, towels, bed sheets etc.  These are questions new members are often concerned with they ponder being a traveling nomad.

Below are a couple of websites that may be helpful for you.  They are designed to make life on the road more safe, comfortable, and convenient.  Bob Wells has numerous Youtube tutorials that address many of these same concerns. 

Bob Wells Youtube Channel

Welcome to the floor I’m happy to have you here. Yes you do know where to start and you already did. Ask the caravans I am no official of course but it looks like we’re turning the corner on Covid, God willing, and the caravans should be Organizingvery soon. Keep looking at how his website and I’m sure it will be announced here too. I’m not sure where you’re at but there’s a nomad on here organizing East Coast actually Florida caravans for this fall. It’s all sort of tentative now but it looks very positive.

RonDean said:

"Official" Homes on Wheels Alliance (HOWA) caravans are on hold right now - but you might want to sign up for a virtual one! https://www.meetup.com/Caravans/

Also, if you let us know where you are, there may be posters here who are in your area and would be open to meeting you.

Reply to multiple posts.
First, Thanks for your replies and support.

1. I am located in southern Oregon.
2. I have made a few short trips, always staying on a relatives' property.
3. Because of retirement income (or lack of it) I need to be able to find free to cheap or only occasional high cost parking/camping locations. It is having the confidence to find these and the planning of such that is my biggest concern. Plus the concern about being turned away at the end of a day's travel by a park that doesn't like my CTC.
4. I would prefer being able to stay perhaps a week at a time at each stop as against moving every day.
5. I have watched YouTube videos for years and picked up some knowledge, but still feel unready to leap off the high board.
My CTC is self contained. I have good solar and a gray tank and composting toilet.

I think that fully describes my current situation.

Is there a place you’re interested in? I’d like to see Four Corners and North Dakota for example. You could plan a trip around that place. Do some research. There are places I’ve been (all through Utah but missed the National parks, Nevada but not much of Northern Nevada) that I really need to revisit because apparently I missed the beauty. That’s how I’d do it.

There was a group of members in Southern Oregon a couple weeks ago. I am not sure if they are still there or not. Maybe start a thread with "looking for members in So. Oregon" or something along those lines.

You can camp for free in many National Forest(NF) and BLM(Bureau of Land Management) areas. Search dispersed camping at such and such NF/BLM.

Highdesertranger

RonDean said:
3. Because of retirement income (or lack of it) I need to be able to find free to cheap or only occasional high cost parking/camping locations. It is having the confidence to find these and the planning of such that is my biggest concern. Plus the concern about being turned away at the end of a day's travel by a park that doesn't like my CTC.

You have everything you need. Because of the current fire danger, you might find some public lands closed to you, but it has nothing to do with your rig.

Many private parks will turn your homemade, nonstandard rig away. But state and federal campgrounds won't. Just today I spent a few hours in the day use area of an Oregon state park, and in the campground saw an old 40 foot skoolie with a (bright) hand paint job. Right next to a conventional 5th wheel. No wars were evident.

With all the other suggestions, keep in mind that in both Oregon and Washington, you can usually stay overnight in a highway rest area. This is getting more popular however, so if you leave it too late, you might not get a spot. In both states, there is a growing trend to mark individual parking slots for length of stay. I've never seen anyone enforcing it though, but I suspect that time is coming. In the meantime, when I do this, I leave early in the morning. Then I might go to a state park and hang out in the day use area. Sometimes you can even get a shower as a day user, maybe free or maybe $5 or so - it will vary with the park. Both Oregon and Washington have annual $30 passes which mean you don't have to pay a day use fee.

And don't forget the federal America the Beautiful pass. This will gain you discounted access to many, many federally owned campgrounds. They don't care what your rig is either. 

On much federal land, your time limit for dispersed camping is 14 days. Some of the more popular areas have 7-day limits. 

I seldom try to make a reservation at a state park. I don't like to get locked in by having to be there on a certain day. Last year, I had no problem finding a state campground with an unused campspot, if I looked, but this year I'm not even trying.