Introduce Myself

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynmill

Reaction score
Like others, I'm going to be forced to live out a vehicle due to the high cost of utilities and the cost of old single wide mobile home maintenance.  Presently reside about 20 miles South of Flagstaff, AZ and will have to move from here into either a van or truck and camper. So joining the forum to help analyze my needs, what's available, what works for others, what I should be gearing up for and how to get from here to there.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Wynmill! You don't say how soon you have to make this move. No matter what, I would plan to attend the RTR (Rubber Tramp Rendezvous) In Quartzsite, in January. The information, help and network of friends you'll make there will be invaluable. You're fortunate to be so close, already.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum !   :)

I feel for your situation and understand your needs to prepare a place to live which will afford mobility so that
you can hunt for a better area to live & work.   It is entirely "doable". 

I don't know how well off you are financially,  but if you can just get in a cargo Van of some kind that is dependable with reasonable miles, a few 2X4's, some plywood flooring, carpet remnants, and a used floor cabinet which can be converted to a kitchenette will get you started.  A shower curtain rod & wire curtain pins,  and a plain Beach Towel will afford privacy when installed just behind the front seats. 

Other things can be found when yard or flea marketing.  Even discards in alleys or along the side of the street.
But if you have a roof over your head,  a bed, and a place to stow some food, cooking utensils, and misc gear
you could be living off grid before you know it. 

Take a look at my first website below for a way of doing that.

The one below it will give you the information means to living on the road.  Belonging to any of the 5 big national Gyms (about $20 a month) can give you a place to go clean up, exercise, and use the lounge there to watch TV,  recharge your Cell and Laptop,  and possibly socialize a bit in more spacious surroundings.

Try before moving out of your apartment to get a Public Library Card too.  It can be a great asset to you.

There are a lot of things in the Public realm that people don't know of that they can use free or for very little cost.   Yet they pay a lot in rent or mortgage to have these same things.   It is only when they are finding themselves to having to resort to living the nomadic life that they realize what they could have been doing all along.

New power tools are cheaper than ever and many run on battery power today.  Thus they can be taken somewhere to be recharged during the hours when you are sleeping or chilling out.  If you work at night or in the cool of the evening/early morning you can put together a rig that will sustain you.  A drill and index of drill bits, a saber saw and an assortment pack of blades could do much of what you need done.   The main thing is fitting out a rig that works for you and you are happy living in.   This is where a good counter top on your kitchenette is important.  You need a basin for washing dishes and prepping foods,  and a cook top (best with two burners propane fired)   My first site below is the "essence" of what worked best for me when I used to go on the road.

The Van you choose and it's condition will have the greatest bearing on this outcome.  So shop and choose
wisely on that list item.  If you don't know get QUALIFIED help with it.    This can take you from where you are to places with better job possibilities and a happier life.  The bonus is you can live in it while traveling and have some fun along the way to finding a better life.

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of info here from lots of different view points. Most importantly lots of things I never thought to think of.

Welcome, lots of great people here to help out. Wish you all the best.

Welcome aboard Sailing VANessa!
Don't worry , you'll be fine doing this...........