Internet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When he says you get unlimited data on the iPad or Surface Pro. How does that work ? Isn't there some type of monthly fee? Who are you paying that to? How much is it? highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
There are two choices, either a paid cellular data plan or using (usually) free wifi where it is available.
Thanks for the link, very helpful.

highdesertranger said:
When he says you get unlimited data on the iPad or Surface Pro.  How does that work ?  Isn't there some type of monthly fee?  Who are you paying that to?  How much is it?  highdesertranger

Yes, it will be a package deal.

The hardware, and the data plan (and monthly subscription), will be a complete package, so with the hardware, you also sign up for a monthly subscription.

In the video, this was how the iPad deal was put together.   

The Surface was an example of how you might be able to buy a package deal (hardware and data and subscription) on some simple hardware - but with that hardware using a sim card.
Then you would ignore the simple hardware, and move the sim card to the Surface device.

Depending on who created the package deal, you will either need to pay the subscription up front, or monthly to the store, or month to a cell-phone company.  The specifics will depend on how the package deal was originally put together, so it is very likely to vary from package deal to package deal.

BC Guy said:
It looks like Bob is not aware of tethering.

Hmmm....  using your cell phone to provide a WiFi hotspot for your laptop, iPad or SmartTV, is just another way to describe the concept of tethering.

So you could say the the two names/descriptions are the same.

Or are you thinking specifically about using a USB cable between your phone and your laptop?
In order to provide an internet connection for your laptop?

I have unlimited data from Visible/Verizon on my phone ($25/month)
I tether it to the computer or laptop, using the phone as hotspot.
Using a USB cable between computer and phone makes a big difference in the speed, compared to
wireless connection.
Plus keeps the phone charged.

MrAlvinDude said:
Hmmm....  using your cell phone to provide a WiFi hotspot for your laptop, iPad or SmartTV, is just another way to describe the concept of tethering.

So you could say the the two names/descriptions are the same.

Or are you thinking specifically about using a USB cable between your phone and your laptop?
In order to provide an internet connection for your laptop?
Tethering is using a USB cable.  Nothing else is called tethering.

MrAlvinDude said:
Yes, it will be a package deal.

The hardware, and the data plan (and monthly subscription), will be a complete package, so with the hardware, you also sign up for a monthly subscription.

In the video, this was how the iPad deal was put together.   

The Surface was an example of how you might be able to buy a package deal (hardware and data and subscription) on some simple hardware - but with that hardware using a sim card.
Then you would ignore the simple hardware, and move the sim card to the Surface device.

Depending on who created the package deal, you will either need to pay the subscription up front, or monthly to the store, or month to a cell-phone company.  The specifics will depend on how the package deal was originally put together, so it is very likely to vary from package deal to package deal.
That is a lot of writing to say nothing.  You do realize that you did not answer HDR's most important questions?

BC Guy said:
That is a lot of writing to say nothing.  You do realize that you did not answer HDR's most important questions?

Hi BC Guy, in your opinion, what was the most important question?

here I will ask again,

"When he says you get unlimited data on the iPad or Surface Pro. How does that work ? Isn't there some type of monthly fee? Who are you paying that to? How much is it?"

there were no details given on how this is done. Bob just said it's truly unlimited. you said it's a package deal and a monthly subscription.

A monthly subscription to who?
How much does it cost?
Are you just paying for another phone number to one of the cell companies?
I am assuming you need to be in cell range for all this to work, correct?
They all claim unlimited data but they can throttle you after you reach a prescribed limit, is this the same?

yes I expanded the questions a little more. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this.

highdesertranger

MrAlvinDude said:
Hi BC Guy, in your opinion, what was the most important question?
What does it cost and who do you pay.

Okay, I think I hear you.

I hear a request for mention of specific deals, or links or lists, of what to search for, in order to look at each specific deal/package.
Am I hearing this right?

To me, the video only shows the principles of how to get internet, as a nomad.  It does not mention any specific deals or where to buy (or look at) such deals.

The two options for internet mentioned in the video are:

- WiFi (hostspots) close to a business. Because the range of standard WiFi is typically limited to 100-300 feet.

- Cell-tower connections. And two types of devices that can connect to Cell towers. Either a phone, or an Internet-data-gadget.
The Internet-data-gadget can be small (pocket sized), or slightly bigger (to allow more or bigger antennas).

The Internet-data-gadget can also be bulit-in, into a device, such as an iPad or a Laptop or a Router.

Some Internet-data-gadgets can act as multiple 'phones', and can thus combine the data lines from each 'phone'.  This trick is called data-aggregation. With this aggregation trick, you get a better, faster and more reliable connection - so this method is better when one does live video calls (or live YouTube streaming).

These were the essence of the principles I heard described.

Then I heard mention of how many Gb of data was available in the different data-plans. And that no phone company currently offer unlimited data-plans. 

But unlimited data-plans are some times available, as a package deal, when you buy a piece of hardware. This piece of hardware will then have an Internet-data-gadget-chip built-in, and can directly connect to cell-towers.

So when questions came up, about the video, I continued to elaborate, from a perspective of how the principles work.

But you guys would also like to get a bit more practicable, and would like to go look at specific deals and offers, Right?

And the clue about looking for package deals on hardware, when they sometimes show up in stores like: The Apple store, Best Buy, Walmart etc. is not quite specific enough. Right?

Hmmm...  it seems that "unlimited" data plans are currently (again) available in the US. 

For more specifics:
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/unlimited-data-plans-conv

https://www.reviews.org/mobile/best-unlimited-data-cell-phone-plans/

And is seems that the new third option for internet on the road using the (low orbit) satellite option from  Starlink is also up and running, though it is still at the "beta" stage, meaning: not yet quite stable enough for gaming or reliable video calls. But perfect for browsing and TV streaming.

Video:

Starlink Home page: https://www.starlink.com/
This is also where you sign up to become part of the beta program  ($500 one-time cost and $100 a month for subscription).

This page has highlights of events related to Starlink: https://www.elonx.net/starlink-compendium/

And this page looks at what is inside the gadget: https://arstechnica.com/information...mcflatface-the-spacex-starlink-user-terminal/

MrAlvinDude said:
Hmmm...  it seems that "unlimited" data plans are currently (again) available in the US. 

For more specifics:
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/unlimited-data-plans-conv

https://www.reviews.org/mobile/best-unlimited-data-cell-phone-plans/

None of those plans are really unlimited. All either are throttled, deprioritized, or drop to 3G or 2G speeds after so many GB. The only real unlimited are grandfathered plans that are resold or rented out by the original owner or an intermediate broker. Cheapest data only plan I know of is the 100GB plan from T-Mobile that works on a hotspot device (that they would like to sell you). That plan is $50/month I think. I don't own that plan and don't make any money by talking about it.

RE: buying a cheap device just to get a sim card to use in your own device.

Verizon, and I assume others do as well, has a "bring your own device" aka BYOD program. The sim card and the shipping is free when you order the service.

I use WiFi from a Jetpack/hotspot and I do not see any slowness in streaming video, downloading Linux distributions, etc.

Lately, I am only seeing two bars reception.

What I use is a Netgear Nighthawk M1 with a SIM from Nomad Internet, $129 a month works with ATT.

I also have a signal booster mounted inside, but I will probably be moving that to the outside this summer.

Looks like SpaceX Starlink is accepting 99$ preorders for that satellite internet.

Latest posts