Interior lighting ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what 12 volt lights to use in a cargo van build. Any suggestions on what lights to use throughout the van? Sleeping area, kitchen area, seating area etc...

I used cheap RV LED lights. A lot of people use LED strip lights on a dimmer. It's all a matter of personal preference. Highdesertranger

RobOfYork said:
I'm trying to decide what 12 volt lights to use in a cargo van build. Any suggestions on what lights to use throughout the van? Sleeping area, kitchen area, seating area etc...
I've seen those stick-on, LEDs and think those are pretty handy.  I don't know how long they last, but I think they have an on/off switch.  I have such a small truck/canopy that I'm trying to get set up, and plan on using those.

Thanks for the input on this. Anyone prefer the warm light or the cool light color?

I'm thinking warm in the bed area and cool in the kitchen area.

I will be Using the Led Strip lights that you can find on amazon, the sell many different lengths, you can splice the strip.. most come with remote.. I have had them before and they are good lights.. with the remote you can dim them, and change the color if you like

RobOfYork said:
Thanks for the input on this. Anyone prefer the warm light or the cool light color?

I'm thinking warm in the bed area and cool in the kitchen area.
I think you have it right, that's what I have in my apartment, no overhead lighting here except  kitchen and bathroom.  The rest I use warm-lighting ;)

I got cool bad choice, didn’t know better at the time, get the warm led for all your lights. The cool feel like fluorescence lights only worst. I used lights that I can change the bulbs if need be once they burn out I will replace with warm. Little bullet ones that pivot so can point or wash on ceiling.

I have three book lights off Amazon. They're rechargable via USB or can be used while plugged into the outlets. They all have different brightness settings and all have different settings from white to amber. One has two heads with the same features. When I'm just hanging out I leave them all on low and the amber setting. I can't deal with the white. I can have it lit up like a 7-11 in here or nice and mellow. 

I also have a couple Luci lights and they're really bright. They're white light so I only use them when I'm outside or looking for something. One can be charged by the sun only and the other, sun or usb. They're a good backup in case I lose all power.

If you search 'book lights' on Amazon you'll find them. Also the Luci lights are sold there

All the comments have help a lot. I have never seen those little USB lights before. Looks like they would be a great way to light up very specific areas when needed.

I got a string of Luci lights with 3 different settings. They are led, can charge via solar or USB. They aren’t 12 volt though. Today on GMA they were on steals and deals for 23 bucks plus 6 bucks for shipping. Price is only good until midnight tonite tho. I like mine in my little 4 x 8 camper. Give off plenty of light. Not for everyone tho.

I messed up. If you are charging via USB, that would be considered 12 volt. At any rate I like mine so much, I ordered another set today.

"If you are charging via USB, that would be considered 12 volt."

Well not really a USB outlet is 5 volts. It can be knocked down to 5v from 12v or 120v or 220v or 24v for that matter.

Highdesertranger

Thanks for clarifying that comment about the 12 volt. I don’t know much about electrical stuff. I was having a senior moment! I plug the USB charger thing into 110 not 12 volt. Thanks for helping me out with that.