interesting youtube on desert camping - Blackrock Mesa

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh boy another great area will be overrun by people watching you tube vids.  the saving grace here is that it's a good 1 day drive to get to a town of any size that has a regular grocery store.  please take my advice unless you have experience and your vehicle is way above average stay away from this area.  the high desert will eat you and your vehicle.

so since the cats out of the bag here are a few pics from the area,

IMG_0068 - Copy.JPG
there are the Steen Mts in the background

IMG_0069 - Copy.JPG
in this pic you can see the dry lake actually has water on it

IMG_0072 - Copy.JPG
yep there is a storm rolling in.  we won't be going anywhere for a couple of days.

this is a beautiful,  extremely remote,  and sparsely populated area.  one mistake or vehicle break down could be your last.

if you want to go there have your vehicle in A-1 condition especially tires.  anything less then an "E" rated tire and your in trouble.  that trailer in those pics suffered 2 flats in one afternoon.  I repaired one the other was junk,  we limped into Lakeview Oregon,  Denio has zero tire service.

travel with at least 2 vehicles.  be safe.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_0068 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0068 - Copy.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0069 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0069 - Copy.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0072 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0072 - Copy.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 47
highdesertranger said:
if you want to go there have your vehicle in A-1 condition especially tires.  anything less then an "E" rated tire and your in trouble. 
On google maps, the road through that area down the east side of the Steens looks paved. Yes/no/maybe? 

The guy in the 2nd picture looks like he's planted for the duration.

Last year I drove down the west side of the Steens Mtns from Burns. That whole place is as close to the ends of the earth as anywheres in the US, other than Texas of course. Near there is where the Malheur Boys tried to establish their new republic. About 8,000,000 sq.miles of nothingness.

Only the very southern end of the Road on the East side is paved. North end is maintained gravel.

that's me in the second pic. actually the first and second pic are the same camp just taken at different angles.

the problem with maintained gravel roads are people drive way to fast on them. the gravel eats tires especially right after they are graded.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
that's me in the second pic.  actually the first and second pic are the same camp just taken at different angles.
When the revolution comes, you look like you could go out there to nowheres anywheres, and hold on for a generation or so, :).

Great picture, just remember when the lightning storm passes overhead, you're the tallest object for miles. That looks like a lightning rod on top the rack.

I wonder if you're better off having a chain dragging on the ground in a lightning storm to ground the metal chassis, or thinking the tires will insulate you? If the electronics get blown out in the van, I guess it doesn't matter.

highdesertranger said:
that's me in the second pic. actually the first and second pic are the same camp just taken at different angles.

highdesertranger

Looks like I see some prospecting equipment in that pic. :)

MrNoodly said:
I was at Alvord a couple of months ago. I camped on the dry lake bed. Lots of solar exposure.

Doesn't appear to be anything to interfere with that. Bring your own shade....

QinReno said:
. . . I wonder if you're better off having a chain dragging on the ground in a lightning storm to ground the metal chassis, or thinking the tires will insulate you? If the electronics get blown out in the van, I guess it doesn't matter.

A chain will do nothing and your tires will not insulate the van.  Lightining traveling miles through air is not stopped by 8" of clearance under the van.  An all metal van should protect the contents as it acts as a faraday cage.  Although the damage done to vehicles lightning hit is all over the map, from no damage other than paint to complete write-off.  Just don't touch the outside skin of the van during a lightning storm.

I was thinking that lightning rods on buildings always have a heavy metal strap connecting to the ground. But maybe since the bottom of the van is only 8" or so off the ground, then it won't matter. 100-million Volt lightning of course can jump for miles.

QinReno said:
...just remember when the lightning storm passes overhead, you're the tallest object for miles....

Just remember, this is the desert, where it rarely rains.  :D

Dennis good eye.

while the average rainfall in the desert that hits the ground doesn't add up to much. I have seen enough gully busters to tell you, it rains in the desert. sometime in torrential downpours. highdesertranger

You don't need rain for lighting, look up 'dry thunderstorm'.  Not uncommon in dry areas.

highdesertranger said:
oh boy another great area will be overrun by people watching you tube vids.  the saving grace here is that it's a good 1 day drive to get to a town of any size that has a regular grocery store.  please take my advice unless you have experience and your vehicle is way above average stay away from this area.  the high desert will eat you and your vehicle.

so since the cats out of the bag here are a few pics from the area,

there are the Steen Mts in the background

in this pic you can see the dry lake actually has water on it

yep there is a storm rolling in.  we won't be going anywhere for a couple of days.

this is a beautiful,  extremely remote,  and sparsely populated area.  one mistake or vehicle break down could be your last.

if you want to go there have your vehicle in A-1 condition especially tires.  anything less then an "E" rated tire and your in trouble.  that trailer in those pics suffered 2 flats in one afternoon.  I repaired one the other was junk,  we limped into Lakeview Oregon,  Denio has zero tire service.

travel with at least 2 vehicles.  be safe.  highdesertranger

I think they mentioned one area was at Blackrock Mesa, which is where Burning Man festival is held every September. So the world who might be interested already knows about it.

Burning Man is held in the Black Rock Desert near Gerlach, NV, somewhat to the south of the Steen Mtns. 60,000 people, costs $300 entry for the week last time I checked, and usually is tons and tons of blowing dust. Held end of August, when it's still hot as Hellfire.

well they were wrong on that one. they were in Oregon in the Alvord Desert. burning man is a good 75 air miles south of there in Nevada on Black Rock Playa which is in the Black Rock Desert. where black rock mesa is I have no idea a quick search shows none in either area. highdesertranger