Interesting Idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
I ran across this "tag axle" in a Ford truck forum.  It is not commercially available, it is home built.  I thought I'd post the pictures for the benefit of other redneck engineers here.

Attachments

• F250  825  tag.JPG
    F250 825 tag.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Tag Axle 027.JPG
    Tag Axle 027.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
All that just to carry a step and small box?....Just get a hitch carrier

With trailers, the conventional wisdom is the smaller wheels are more prone to overheating and bearing/tire failure. Those tires don't look like road rated tires, but it's hard to tell.

poncho62 said:

I believe it's carrying some of the weight of the truck camper as well.  From the looks of the first picture, an awful lot of the camper weight looks to be BEHIND the rear axle, which will cause the front end to get lighter, possibly TOO light for proper steering.

nothing new,  this one actually supports some weight of the camper.

1969-cj5-camper-sales-sheet1-498x650.jpg

they also make a tow dolly for trailers that remove the tongue  weight from the tow vehicle.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 1969-cj5-camper-sales-sheet1-498x650.jpg
    1969-cj5-camper-sales-sheet1-498x650.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 33
Can probably get a govt. contract to make em 4 5000$ apiece.........

They didn't like my idea:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 26
Don't go through any dips or steep driveways. You will end up with the rear drive wheels in the air and no traction, don't ask me how I know.

Agree w/ Linedog... all that "engineering" just to bandaid a potential problem. It's the wrong combo. I cannot tell from the picture but if its a Lance 915 (a very common 9' wet bath), the factory specs are 2505# dry weight... Even if its an 825 series for short beds its 1,700# dry weight. "Nah, just air bag it and you'll be fine".

Its getting to be more that way, trucks are expensive so lots of folks "make do", creating hazards for others. It doesn't take a dually 350/450 to haul that but he is likely wet weight over his limits and that makes for an unpleasant driving experience and early component failures. Just sayin', its his wallet...

poncho62 said:

What brand can you recommend? I also need one for my 2005 Lance 835 Truck Camper.

If you're looking for a hitch hauler for on the back of a P/U truck camper then IMO, the only way to go is with a swing a way carrier.

That way you can still access your back entry door although some adjustment of the back steps (if you have them) might be necessary to clear the hitch.

https://www.stowaway2.com

I bought just the hitch platform and added my own box. They have complete set ups which are really nice but also pricey IMO.

Not sure I'd trust that thing on the hiway.
No welds. Flimsy looking 'hitch straps'. If all those bolts are standard Home Despot junk, I wouldn't wanna be behind it. (if you can't weld, pay someone)
Spring perches look like another problem...2 bolts front, 1 bolt rear! And of course the previously mentioned tires...garden cart??
Just noticed the hole in the center tube...looks like it at least goes into the receiver.

:rolleyes:

If that is carrying some of the weight of the camper, it will be putting some serious stress on the camper structure. Bet that'll void the warranty!

It looks like a snowmobile trailer axle/tires to me.  But I wouldn't drive that combo around if you paid me.  

The only worse idea i've seen is this rolling deathtrap of a contraption.  

Attachments

• TowAll Nightmare.jpg
    TowAll Nightmare.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 22
  • TowAll Nightmare 2.png
    TowAll Nightmare 2.png
    310 KB · Views: 23
Would be interesting to watch the first time they tried to back up though.

I've backed a double before, not to bad as long as you don't have to go around much of a corner. Around here double 48' trailers and triple 28' trailers are legal, now that's a long load. The guys that haul them all the time get good at it. That's not me BTW!