Interesting de-junking article

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slynne, "...realized that I was wearing the same shirt!..." LOL!!!

My only issue with giving things up is that no one else wants them. Kind of hurts my little feeler (I only have one). I've been holding onto to junk apparently ;-)

AbuelaLoca said:
My only issue with giving things up is that no one else wants them. Kind of hurts my little feeler (I only have one). I've been holding onto to junk apparently ;-)

I had to develop a thicker skin to try and sell some things that mattered to me (some of my moms jewelry).  Having an expert tell me "your mom got ripped off when she bought this" was pretty disheartening.

Most of the people in my photos are deceased or long gone. They are just memories for me. I would never trust my photos anywhere on any computer or discs, or the like. I do artwork, but don't have any answers as to what to do with it except store it or decorate my walls in the rig with it. I may glue or attach some somehow?

Queen said:
Slynne - my entire memorabilia collection fits in a shoe box so sentimental things have never been much of an issue for me...
This is me as well.
I am blessed/cursed with very little sentimentality, so I don't have a problem letting go of keepsakes and such.  
My issue is landfill guilt - I hate to throw something in the dumpster if it can be used, repaired or recycled.  As a result, I have tons of stuff that Goodwill probably doesn't want and I don't know who else to "bless" with it.
My house looks like a hoarder house at the moment, but I'm the opposite of a hoarder.  I want it all out of there!  If someone came and hauled everything away I'd be tickled pink.  I just don't want to see it.
You've heard of "Two Men and a Truck"?  I'm looking for "Two Men and a Dumpster".

mayble said:
This is me as well.
I am blessed/cursed with very little sentimentality, so I don't have a problem letting go of keepsakes and such.  
My issue is landfill guilt - I hate to throw something in the dumpster if it can be used, repaired or recycled.  As a result, I have tons of stuff that Goodwill probably doesn't want and I don't know who else to "bless" with it.
My house looks like a hoarder house at the moment, but I'm the opposite of a hoarder.  I want it all out of there!  If someone came and hauled everything away I'd be tickled pink.  I just don't want to see it.
You've heard of "Two Men and a Truck"?  I'm looking for "Two Men and a Dumpster".

When we downsized out of our house I made umpteen trips to churches and food pantries and thrift stores.  In the end I called Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and paid them to come and take the last of it.  Very freeing to be in that empty space afterward!

I am the same way with the non sentimental things. I just have anxiety about being wasteful but I keep telling myself that it is just as wasteful for it to be sitting in my basement as it is for it to be sitting in a landfill. Still, my current plan is to sell what I can on craigslist and donate anything that seems worth donating. Then, I am probably going to use a junk removal service. I haven’t researched them yet but I often see the trucks of "1-800-GOT-JUNK" around town so I may research them to see if they are reputable and affordable for me.

http://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en

It does help to remind myself that going forward my footprint will be infinitely smaller, so even if I took my entire household to the landfill I'd still contribute less than my neighbors will over a lifetime.
I just can't believe I accumulated all this CRAP!!

mayble said:
I just can't believe I accumulated all this CRAP!!

It is mind blowing, isn't it?  Our first decluttering step was nothing came into the house that wasn't consumable (food, toilet paper, soap...) unless something else left.  Want to get a book at the book sale, then another book had to go.  Then we changed the ratio, bring something in, 2-3 things had to go.

We realized we were going out and running errands on the weekend and walking into the house with BAGS of crap, every single weekend.  It's amazing how much more time and money you have when you stop buying stuff unless it's an absolute necessity.

RVTravel said:
Paying for storage is an enormous waste of money.

Had to go find this and corrrect myself...lol. Nothing wrong short term if downsizing. If urban vandwelling, which I am considering trying at least, it would be essential. Afterall, even an apartment is a storage unit that you sleep in. It just might cost $100 instead of $1000 per month.

i really like your post , thanks for sharing and plz keep sharing with us . :)

Thanks everyone for the entertaining comments.. I look around my house and think how in the heck, and where do I begin? A drawer at a time will be more manageable for me. My question is, how do you give relatives the sentimental things and antiques without them thinking you have gone crazy or have a terminal disease? When I posted something for sale online I got quizzed. I'm not real close with any of my family, but apparently I am watched pretty closely. :)

In my early days/months I will use a storage facility for some things.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/how-to-articles/getting-rid-stuff/
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely & nobly. – Bertrand Russell
http://tinyhousetalk.com/how-to-get-rid-of-your-stuff-piling/
I agree with Bob re Multi-Use
"As you go through the things you think you are going to keep, keep the multi-use principle in mind."

and as well, aside Shelter from the weather, are physical objects kind of Essential... for life
1. Clothes: some of which I sewed. And when there's No $ to buy more, why throw-away what you have ? makes no sense.
+
2. Nutritional foods: some of which I grow. - Once in the van full-time, How to continue... growing nutrition ? Suggestions ?