Interesting Articles Relating to EVs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🚗 -45%: Tesla’s profits fell by 45% based on its recent earnings call. The EV maker also dipped below 50% market share in the U.S. for the first time.​
Interesting facts but no opinion as to why? What is your point? Could it be people are fed up with the monopolistic business practices Musk employs?

If Musk would stop contributing to Trump to get more rich people tax cuts OR take a slightly smaller cut of the profits, maybe Tesla's profits would go up again.

As far as an EV-RV $50k is high for the VW Buzz. But... since Tesla does not currently manufacture an electric van, nor have they released solid info on whether a design is even in the works it seems like the VW is of more interest to us. Also, given that the Tesla truck is about $130K, $50K starts to look better.

Last edited:
If Musk would stop contributing to Trump to get more rich people tax cuts OR take a slightly smaller cut of the profits, maybe Tesla's profits would go up again.
He already has made much more than he should by restricting repair and maintenance to the vehicles in only his facilities as well as control of sales even after the sales through the computer apps required to operate the vehicle I believe.

Interesting facts but no opinion as to why? What is your point? Could it be people are fed up with the monopolistic business practices Musk employs?
It's because the market is saturated with model 3 and model x. With no new cars in the pipeline now that they killed the model 2 they swear was going to come.

The Tesla vehicles are like 20 years old in car design years. And there are many more competitors in this niche these days.

In September of 2023, Texas started attaching a fee to electric vehicle registrations.

New electric vehicles get a one time $400 fee added that covers 2 years, and the renewals after that are $200 per year.

Reason I even knew about this is that when I recently renewed the tags on my little 150cc scooter, (which burns gasoline of course) the clerk wanted to know what kind of fuel it uses. Of course I told him gasoline and asked why are they asking that?

Turns out the state is finally trying to recover the state fuel taxes it loses on EVs, by adding this little fee.

I remember when the state and the feds were providing incentives, rebates, and tax deductions to buy EVs.

Now, in Texas at least, they charge EXTRA.

The politicians apparently have discovered: 'there's no such thing as a free lunch'....

Last edited:
The states are all looking into for to recover the lost income from gas sales. California is thinking of a mileage charge. I do hope that only applies to EVs. With my daughter is going to college soon, I plan on doing some serious road tripping and racking up the miles.

Capitalism turned into a consortium (monopoly) is why gas prices are so high. Where do you think they get all that money to donate to politicians?

In many ways the decline in profits are directly related to several things...inability to fix those cars in a regular shop, the flood of new better and way cheaper EV through out the world that are being made by China and others..some of the chinese models are UNDER 10 grand and even if one adds the 100% tariff the USA is trying to stick to them they are still cheaper than anything ese on the market for american Ev's...Let's not forget that VW got to be where it is now due to the peoples Beetle

I had several VW Diesel Rabbits that were comfortable for my 6'4" frame & all got 55mpg when diesel was cheap. My hunting buddy had a couple & he was 6'5". He fell asleep & ran one under a parked semi trailer on I-94 & survived. EVs are harder on roads so it's just fair the pay some sort of road tax. I still think rural America is not ready or set up for EVs as are U.S. cities & much of Europe are.

In many ways the decline in profits are directly related to several things...inability to fix those cars in a regular shop, the flood of new better and way cheaper EV through out the world that are being made by China and others..some of the chinese models are UNDER 10 grand and even if one adds the 100% tariff the USA is trying to stick to them they are still cheaper than anything ese on the market for american Ev's...Let's not forget that VW got to be where it is now due to the peoples Beetle
Those Chinese EVs are heavily subsidized by their government. One of the reasons they are so cheap. And for those that are privacy conscious and don't want a modern Internet connected car, why would you want one from a country famous for spying on it's own people?

Attachments

• EV batteries pose numerous safety risks, researchers reveal - Land Line.pdf
    187.9 KB · Views: 0
That is true but 1 kind is much more prone to fires than the other...once they catch on fire...might as well get the hot dogs out and enjoy the fireworks
Modern lithium batteries have robust safeguards, and the LiFePO4 versions are very safe.

Even better are the new Sodium-Ion batteries which don't catch fire and last longer, but they are (currently) less energy-dense than Lithium batteries and would therefore require heavier battery banks. Very few EVs use them yet, but they are improving rapidly and will probably displace lithium chemistry batteries in the future.