Insulating a High Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoRockiesFan

Reaction score
Hi all,
I could use some input. I am going to insulate my Fiberine High Top and cover the insulation with 1/4 luan. I have decided to use 3/4" rigid polyiso.
My question is how to deal with the sides. The sides of the top are reinforced with 2 planks of 1" by 6" wood planks. (See attached) 
What is the best way to insulate this area?
1. Just cover the sides with the polyiso and don't worry about the gaps between the boards.
2. Lay some poliso between the boards and then cover with another layer of poliso.
3. Lay some poliso between the boards and then cover with the area with the luan leaving no insulation over the wood boards.
Thoughts? Ideas?
Many thanks in advance!

High Top - rear and side view

highdesertranger said:
instead of ridged foam I would use Ensolite,  it conforms to irregular shapes,  it's available in peel and stick or glue it your self.  Ensolite is a very good insulator here are a few sources,

http://www.raamaudio.com/ensolite-i...ended-absolutely-the-best-foam-on-the-market/

https://www.foammart.com/p-456-ensolite.aspx

you can lay a 3/4" sheet on Ensolite on snow and sleep on it.  you would not feel the cold.  highdesertranger

I had not heard of this! Thanks!

hitop.jpg
another suggestion would be rtech foam insulation (found at home depot). Its all I use, not as hard as polyiso but easy to cut with boxcutter and will easily fit in between those boards on your van. The rtech has some give to it, so if your cut is off by a little you can squeeze it in there.

They sell it in different sizes 1/2", 3/4", 1" and you can stack it to fill the gap, and then lay the polyiso on top of it when everything is flush. Cost is 9 dollars for an 4x8 foot sheet. Sticks extremely well with hotglue to most surfaces. Hotglue dries in seconds it will make quick work in installing it.

This is the inside of my van rtech everywhere, I got it hotglued, I got it duct taped, I got it on my doors, on my windows, on my cabinets. I recommend to everyone. Its not pretty but as long as I stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter its all that matters. In the picture straight ahead is the driver compartment, its behind the rtech foam door I made, it keeps all the heat from the front windshield coming into the back. In a hot day there is a 40 degree difference in temp from front and back.
a divider door a.jpg

Attachments

• hitop.jpg
    hitop.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 24
  • a divider door a.jpg
    a divider door a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 29
Thanks JonyJoe,
Keeping cool (cooler?) in the VA heat is my goal. I think insulation between and over the wood is probably a must.

Decision made: I went with one inch rtech between the wood boards then 1 inch of rtech over that. Then 1/4 birch plywood was fastened over the rtech. Next I will stain and polyurethane the wood.

Photos of top

ColoRockies, I looked at your pics of the finished high top ...WOW! Looks BEAUTIFUL! Great job!!

Highdesertranger, could one use ensolite for the entire van interior? Does it smell of chemicals when it heats up?

Oh, wait a second...pricey stuff...

yes you could use it for the whole interior. I never noticed an odor. highdesertranger

has anyone tried professional installed close cell or open cell spray foam? I asked a guy I meet on a job site he said $2000 to do a school bus(original idea for my rig) so a van would be 5-600$? probably be cheaper if 2 or 3 people all got together and had there rigs all done at once only 1 set up for him. my rig is a square and easy to do I am using 4in tin sided foam board on walls and roof and 1in on floor. I did consider having the underside spray foamed with 2-3in also if I can get it clean I still might.

ChezCheese:-) said:
ColoRockies, I looked at your pics of the finished high top ...WOW! Looks BEAUTIFUL! Great job!!

Highdesertranger, could one use ensolite for the entire van interior? Does it smell of chemicals when it heats up?

Same here.  Looks great and very well done!

ChezCheese:-) said:

where did you see pics of the finished top?