Insulating a Cargo Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peck

Reaction score
<div style="color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; margin: 8px;">Job loss is helping reinforce a nagging desire to live off the grid. I'm trying to figure out just how I want to convert my E250 Cargo Van for that purpose. I wondered whether styrofoam peanuts would make good insulation for the space between the skeleton and the outer skin. I went in search of peanuts and found discarded three huge bags of cotton that had been used as snow around a mall Christmas tree. Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full. The question I have for this forum - my first question for the forum, in fact, since I have just registered moments ago, thank you and hello - is this: 1) how well does cotton perform as insulation?, and 2) do styrofoam peanuts work better?<br><br>(I accidently posted this message on the "Read This First" forum. Can somebody tell me how to move or delete it?)</div>

Cotton absorbs and holds moisture. Not a good thing for your van walls.

Peanuts, there are two different kinds... 1) biodegradable kind will dissolve when wet 2) regular Styrofoam peanuts. solid Styrofoam would work better than peanuts.

Just MHO.

Hey there Peck! (didja ever see the movie "Willow"??) :D

I'm guessing that you're wanting to do this insulating on the super cheap, or free if possible...then styrofoam is the way to go.

If you don't wanna spend the bread to get sheets of it, then go to an appliance store and ask them for any you can get free...and I'm betting they'll load you up! (maybe go to several stores if necessary.)

Do you ever play Tetris on your computer?? Well get an old breadknife at Goodwill and hack up this styrofoam into a big jigsawpuzzle and line the walls with that! Should work just dandy!!

Take a look at Caleb's boxvan he just did...look for Uhaul Super Stealth-Box in the Conversions & modifications column on here.....post #36

He got his foam from an old dock project his dad did, but you get the basic idea.

Patrick,
That is such an absolutely excellent idea! I'm off to Home Depot!

I'm also thinking that black trashbags might work as a vapor barrier between the metal and the styrofoam. Ya think?

PS - Who did you ask to get your Post Freak name changed to Visionary? Or is there a way to do it yourself?

Thanks. M.A.

Yeah, I found it. Now feeling like a complete dimwit.

angeli said:
Yeah, I found it. Now feeling like a complete dimwit.

Nahhhh....that ain't worthy of that extreme of an emotion.

but now, if you've just made it about 5 miles outta town, and you've run out of gas...but you were just at the only gas station in town that was still open on this cold Sunday evening, buying a candybar and a soda, and did NOT fill up your rig with gas...and you walk all the way back into town only to find out that the station closes at 10:00pm, and it's now 10:20...

....THEN you can qualify yourself as a DIMWIT!!! :p

angeli said:
Patrick,
That is such an absolutely excellent idea! I'm off to Home Depot!

I'm also thinking that black trashbags might work as a vapor barrier between the metal and the styrofoam. Ya think?

PS - Who did you ask to get your Post Freak name changed to Visionary? Or is there a way to do it yourself?

Thanks. M.A.

They might, but painters plastic sheeting is absolutely dirt cheap, cheaper than garbage bags and enough tape to tape up all the garbage bag seams. For a few pennies more than the ultra thin drop sheets, you could get a good quality plastic that will do the job perfectly!(13$ http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-ft-x-50-ft-Clear-4-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-RSHK403-50C-U/100651780# )

Use adhesive formulated to glue foamboard (will say it in fairly large letters on the tube). Use a good tape (like the "metal" tape or Gorilla Glue duct tape) to seal all seams to prevent air movement (what insulation does in order to insulate).

Patrick,
Thanks for the cackle (curmudgeons don't chuckle, they cackle)

Duck,
Thanks thanks thanks for the info!

I hear carbon causes global warming.....if I fill the walls with Dimond dust...oh wait this is cheaprvliving..., never mind. ?...I need to go back to sleep...sory

angeli said:
Patrick,
That is such an absolutely excellent idea! I'm off to Home Depot

I hope you are off to Home Depot to buy the 4X8 sheets of foam insulation. Home Depot does not sell very many appliances off the floor. Those are displays. Appliances are ordered thru Depot Direct and delivered directly to the customers home. We never see the truck unless they are delivering an appliance to the store because the customer requested it be done that way. I work at a Home Depot store in both Paint and Appliances. Sometimes it is hard to be in two Departments at one time.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up but I've heard some people say styrophomes or certan types gives off gas that's not good to live with in an enclosed space. Any truth to that and if so what's a safe insulation material?

I can't answer that definitively, but I've lived in a van or camper with styrofoam insulation for 12 years now and have never noticed off-gassing or ill health effects. But that doesn't really prove anything.

I decided a long time ago if I was going to live my life in fear of every little thing that people tell me will hurt me then I would NEVER live a second of my life. I'd just be curled up in the corner of my room in terror over every sound, sight or smell.

I try to look at the genuine risk and if it's actually dangerous i don't do it but if it's rumors and very unlikely I just ignore it.

“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London

Bob