Installing a window on my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
I have been searching for over a year to find a window that will fit on my cargo van.  Most of the sites that make windows for van conversations (curved sides) don't make one that will fit.  The side panel where I want to put the window can only accomidate a window that is 21" and most of the windows are 24-26" long.  I found an RV window that is 12 x 18. When I put a 12" ruler on the side of my van, there is a space of about 1/8 of an inch on the top and bottom.  I planned to use butyl tape around the window to seal it and it should easily fill that gap.  I am also building a window frame inside the van that the window will attach to and I may be able to pull some of the bow out of the panel.  Then add a layer of RV window sealant all around the window.  Does anyone see a problem with this plan.

Try These folks: motionwindows.com.

They make flat windows for vehicles any size you want. They're not cheap, but they work great. I bought two of them for a cargo trailer conversion a few years ago and have never had a problem with them.

Johnny

I looked at that website and for my cargo van. I went to enter information in their custom made section and the smallest width they will do is 23 1/2" and I only have room for a window 22" wide. Anythin longer than 22 will interfer with the door opening or the rear trim which will not allow it to lay flat.

Go to a different source. Look at marine supply instead of cars and RVs. There are rectangular portholes that size. Check ebay first for lowest prices. Be sure it comes with a gasket.

Tony\ said:
I have been searching for over a year to find a window that will fit on my cargo van.  Most of the sites that make windows for van conversations (curved sides) don't make one that will fit.  The side panel where I want to put the window can only accomidate a window that is 21" and most of the windows are 24-26" long.  I found an RV window that is 12 x 18. When I put a 12" ruler on the side of my van, there is a space of about 1/8 of an inch on the top and bottom.  I planned to use butyl tape around the window to seal it and it should easily fill that gap.  I am also building a window frame inside the van that the window will attach to and I may be able to pull some of the bow out of the panel.  Then add a layer of RV window sealant all around the window.  Does anyone see a problem with this plan.
I don’t see a problem that should work. You could run a bead of sealant over the tape after you are done if you are still worried about the seal. It is a good idea over butyl I noticed on mine that the butyl tape tends to seep black down the drip line onto the the body after awhile. Maybe if I had used grey tape that would not be so noticeable.

I used the marine grade butyl tape on my fan opening and it has stayed put with no runs. The seam & screw heads has another white colored layer of roof sealant over everything maybe that helps.
-crofter