Installing a 5000 btu AC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
I got an AC unit. I don't have solar (next step!) but I am renting an RV lot for the summer which has an electric hookups.

The question is, how and where do I install this thing?

The back door on the left seems the best bc the panel is already exposed. I am not sure if I should install it in the rear window or directly into the door. An HVAC person told me I might want to install it in the door under the window and use a sawsall to make the cut.

I also see that some have intalled it into the window. One person I saw had a piece of wood cut to fit in the window that supports the AC.

This is not something I have experience with and I don't want to come away with any less than 10 fingers.

Which way is best and most stable? And if I don't do it myself, what kind of professional can? An HVAC pro? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180629_083255.jpg
    IMG_20180629_083255.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180629_083317.jpg
    IMG_20180629_083317.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180629_083323.jpg
    IMG_20180629_083323.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
The slickest van rear door window A/C install I've seen had a stainless kitchen sink shroud allowing A/C install to be nearly flush with van shell yet give of room for air movement...

There still was some painted wood to close off gaps around sink in the door opening plus it was hung to allow one-piece removal to reinsert glass.

Zoomyn said:
The slickest van rear door window A/C install I've seen had a stainless kitchen sink shroud allowing A/C install to be nearly flush with van shell yet give of room for air movement...

There still was some painted wood to close off gaps around sink in the door opening plus it was hung to allow one-piece removal to reinsert glass.

Do you happen to have a link to that?

It's always a good idea to try and keep the body of your van as stock as possible.
Removing the glass and making a frame for the AC unit would be fairly easy to do.
I have made them out of sheet metal I got from a junkyard and angle iron from a bed frame plus a little flat steel for attaching the sheet metal to the door. It holds the thinner metal to the door without all the stress on the bolts. Not a very good draft but it's an idea of what I have done. It holds the unit in place and keeps the weight on the thicker metal. Should you decide to take it out the holes can be filled and the window installed again.
Hope you stay cool.
6fa1db2e7e70ebcb7d82013f05b3b0fa.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Ok apparently I am having trouble sending you the sketch? I will look into it and try again.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

The rear windows are not hard to replace with aluminum 1/8" plate using the original gasket. Then you can cut your hole in the aluminum.
I did it the hard way. I wanted a garage area that would be more secure for storing things like a generator. I put the AC in there and I have it venting up through the roof. You can see it in this Video I later put aluminum plate in where the windows were.