Installed MaxxFan Deluxe this morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Installed my MaxxFan this morning. I probably should have used a jig saw but I didn't have the right blades so I used my air cut off tool. Now I am waiting for the sealant to cure enough I can wash the roof before the metal flakes start rusting on the roof.

I used butyl tape under the roof flange with 2 extra pieces in the valleys. I may should have used Dicor Self-leveling Lap Sealant around the edges but instead used NuFlex 311 Self-Levelling RV Sealant. I have used NuFlex before with good luck so I guess time will tell.

I tried to get some pictures but it was getting pretty warm so I was in a hurry. I downsized pictures before posting so hopefully you can see some of the install. I had to make a wooden frame for inside because the minimum thickness to install is 1 1/8 inch.

I got the MaxxFan so I could leave it open in the rain. I guess I will know in a few minutes because I finished the install about an hour ago and it just started pouring rain as I am typing this. :angel:

What do you think?
A SEEKER

More photos

couple more
It comes with remote also

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    36.2 KB
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    42.1 KB
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    50.5 KB
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    33.1 KB
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    55 KB
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    47 KB
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    43.2 KB
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    55 KB
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    53.9 KB
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    35.3 KB
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    38.1 KB
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    45.7 KB
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    66.6 KB
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    50.9 KB
I bet that hurt. I have an idea because I did a fantastic 14 speed auto open. You will love it as you can slow it way down. They are pretty easy on the battery too.

I need to get cracking on one of those! Great install. Where did you find that one? How's the remote working out?

Looks like you did a great job! You are going to be very happy with that!

Where did you get the net you are using on the roof?
Bob

Bdog1, I ordered the fan from PPl in Texas but it got shipped from somewhere on the East coast I think.

Almost felt like a traitor not getting the Fantastic fan. And this one only has 2 or 3 year warranty. I really like it so far because the built in rain cover and you can run the fan with it closed although don't know why you would.

Bob, The net was from Harbor Freight. Not really using it yet. Getting ready to take out the rubber mat and put some plywood down. Its been in the high 90's with feels like 100% humidity so now that I got this fan and a Endless Breeze fan hope to get the build mostly done in the next few weeks. Wanting to spend some time in the Carolina, Virginia, And West Buy God Virginia mountains and possibly make it to RTR if the van is doing OK.
A SEEKER

Have the fantastic fan...wish i had the rain cover...had to dry the bed a few times already.

nice write up. I have my eye on that fan, I like that you don't need that big rain cover to run it in the rain. give us a follow up after awhile to let us know how it's working out for you. thanks. highdesertranger

I forgot to show the inside trim piece. It looks close to the same one Fantastic Vent uses. I will install it later. After the insulation pole about how it may hold the summer heat in longer not sure what I will do as I camp in the Florida heat some.

I am thinking that the roof may get the insulation first anyway.

Is dripping condensation when running the propane heaters a big problem. . . and does the insulation help with that?

My previous GMC Safari van (86 model I kept 22 years and should have not ever sold) never had that problem too much without any insulation but I never stayed in it more than 3 or 4 days at a time. I may be staying in the Express for months at a time and dripping roof would be a problem. What would you do since I have no experience with the condensation?

Great bob! I thought id have to screw it on the roof too and use more butyl tape and all that mess, I didn't realize it was that easy (watched the vid on that page)

bob, that's why I have been looking at the max fan it doesn't need that big cover on it to work in the rain. that big cover looks like it might not like tree branches. anyone have any experience with this. highdesertranger

I've taken my vent covers over every imaginable country!! In that time I've ripped off 6-10 antennas off my roof but no damage to the vent covers.

They are nearly indestructible!
Bob

Something to consider on vent covers and full airflow. This video from Fantastic vent cover shows airflow test of a few different covers. Don't know if it truly makes much difference but . . .

WOW!!!! That is an impressive demonstration!

From now on I will only use and recommend their vent cover.
Bob

Latest posts