Inexpensive folding bike

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always ask why do we need a folding bike. Take the wheels off with quick release. Stack it all with some Velcro ties. But it in a canvas bag. Boom. All portable

"why do we need a folding bike?"

- Folded folding bike usually still takes up less space than a full size bike with the wheels off. In my case, the difference between stowing it in a compartment and having to figure out where to fit it into my van's living space. Take the wheels off a folding bike and it stows even smaller.

- Useful for intermodal transportation. It's part of my van-bus-bike commute. Better on buses and trains; less expensive than a full-size bike if you are flying commercial airlines.

- When I go grocery shopping, I don't lock it up out of sight; it comes with me in a grocery cart.

- People like folding bikes. For some reason, you are no longer one of those "scofflaw bicyclists," but instead a smile-inducing novelty.

No one needs a folding bike, plenty could get by with a full-size bike. But there are plenty of situations where a folding bike is a better or the best choice.

Folding bicycles certainly has its advantages. Where I'm located, the local subway allows folding bicycles to board onto any trains during commuter rush hours. Commuters can either carry or wheel their folding bicycles directly into the train. But not so with a regular bicycle. Commuters with regular bicycles must either wait until rush hour is over, or can only enter their bicycle into the very last train, plus must use the elevator to go downstairs to the trains versus the escalator. All a hassle.