I'm So Old I Can Remember...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so old I remember when the bagger carried your groceries out to your car and our school had a bell we would swing from the rope that was pulled to ring it and our school had only 4 rooms for all 12 grades/

I taught in a six room school while I was still in college. Kindergarten to 12th grade. I actually built a classroom with shop class students for shop class, so seven rooms when I was done. My grandmother taught in a one room school.

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.45.56 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.45.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.45.56 PM.png
    548.7 KB · Views: 12
Do any of you old timers remember taking a Long boat ride with a bunch of animals???

I can remember camping with my fiberglass dune buggy at a park in Michigan in the 60s that had free live music and saw one of the first performances of Mitch Ryder, absolutely rocked the night away then got on the ferry to Mackinaw Island but they only had horses there!

Freelander said:
Do any of you old timers remember taking a Long boat ride with a bunch of animals???
Is that the one where the skipper wound up parking the boat on top of a mountain?

Not me personally, but I heard that a friend's great aunt's second cousin said he was on that trip.

He was known to stretch the truth pretty frequently though, so who knows.

I believe I met him once. He was known as “the man that rode a mule around the world” I believe! Lol!!!

bullfrog said:
I can remember camping with my fiberglass dune buggy at a park in Michigan in the 60s that had free live music and saw one of the first performances of Mitch Ryder, absolutely rocked the night away then got on the ferry to Mackinaw Island but they only had horses there!

Mackinaw Island is still horses, bicycles and foot.

I saw the Three Stooges perform live on their last tour (with the Ringling Brothers circus) in, I think, 1967.

I wore garter belts and stockings...I remember Mom drying Dad's work pants on metal stretchers for the day before ironing day...Bass Weejun loafers with a dime in the slot for emergency phone calls...Madras print shirts and skirts...wax cola candies...candy cigarettes...pin curls set with bobby pins...skate keys...using Silly Putty to copy image from the funny pages...saving RC cola caps for free entry into movie matinee...
"school had a bell we would swing from the rope that was pulled to ring it and our school had only 4 rooms for all 12 grades" ...It took the weight of 2 first graders to ring ours. One time the older boys somehow filled the bell with water so the principal got soaked when she rang it. We only had 2 rooms for grades 1 - 6, but there was a floor-to-ceiling accordian divider that separated grades 1 & 2 from 5 & 6. For assemblies, the divider was retracted. Grades 3 & 4 were in a small building out back. We sat at wooden picnic tables outside for lunch....which was whatever sandwich we brought from home in a brown paper sack.

I’m so old I remember..... oh crap, what was that I was gonna say?

My late husband remembered clearly the one room church he and his parents attended in rural Iowa until he was about 3, and the well out back from which a bucket with fresh water was pulled.

The bucket with a communal dipper sat by the back door, and anyone who wanted a drink used it.

He also remembers his grandmother cooking for church suppers on a wood cook stove.

They’d installed a newfangled gas range, but she preferred the wood,

WanderingRose said:
He also remembers his grandmother cooking for church suppers on a wood cook stove.

I remember the big black cast iron range in the kitchen.  It took great skill to use it.  How do you keep a wood stove from catching on fire and burning up?

A careful balance of burning wood and air input keeps my wood stove from overheating,

I have simmered a soup on mine a few times, in extremely cold weather, but never have seriously cooked on one.

The newer models have got temperature gauges on their ovens, taking some of the skill out of it.

I don't think I'm old enough to remember even half of what I've forgotten.

My grandmothers Columbia wood range in the kitchen was the source of many many good meals. Nothing better than a soup cooked all day on the back of that stove just simmering away. Grandpa and her were a great pair she would tell him what she needed to bake or how long she needed to cook and he would bring the appropriate wood in knowing what would burn hot and quick and what would burn slow but consistent is an art it’s almost gone. believe it or not if you want to know the temperature of your stove top the best way is to spit on it and see how long it takes to evaporate. The fancy chefs say sprinkle flour on there and see how long it took to brown, but grandma just spit on it.

- That big, round, brass grate in the ceiling in the parlor above the pot-bellied stove to heat the upstairs.

- Coal delivery in the fall: coal dumped down the coal chute into the coal bin in the basement.

- The huge 'octopus' furnace that took up most of the basement.

- Dad feeding the coal hopper in the evening and cleaning out the 'clinkers' every once in a while.