I'm So Old I Can Remember...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crofter said:
...The outhouse experience...
I bought a 1910 homestead in Wyoming that came with an outhouse chained down and anchored into the rock. I can imagine what outhouse experience prompted chaining the thing down, though I was in it a time or two that the wind had it swaying pretty good. Would you still be sitting there when the thing went over, or would it be more like a catapult?  -crofter

^
Either way it would be a really sh*tty experience.

I remember.....

Only 3 TV channels
Dinner at the table at 6 PM sharp, or you went without
black and white tv
goloshes

Wool instead of fleece or the tech waterproof outerwear. We should have all died of hypothermia but did not know what that was yet, so we survived.
Hot drinks, toughness, and the "mug up" were the substitute for having the proper bad weather gear.
-crofter

crofter said:
I bought a 1910 homestead in Wyoming that came with an outhouse chained down and anchored into the rock. I can imagine what outhouse experience prompted chaining the thing down, though I was in it a time or two that the wind had it swaying pretty good. Would you still be sitting there when the thing went over, or would it be more like a catapult?  -crofter
My Grandma once said the local teen age boys in her town when she was young, put the town hall outhouse on the roof of the jail or something. And we have a doggy park here that has had it's out house tipped over a few times. It is now chained to a tree.

vanbrat said:
My Grandma once said the local teen age boys in her town when she was young, put the town hall outhouse on the roof of the jail or something. And we have a doggy park here that has had it's out house tipped over a few times. It is now chained to a tree.
And then theres the time honored Saturday night tradition of stealing someone's outhouse. 
-crofter

A good thick wool sweater with a thin nylon wind breaker worker well for me in the upper elevations of the Rocky Mountains many years ago especially with the afternoon showers and 10 more miles to hike with a pack frame full.

"And then theres the time honored Saturday night tradition of stealing someone's outhouse."

or taking your riata and tying the door shut when someone is in there. LOL

highdesertranger

Watching Nixon's resignation speech on TV with the family.

Also watching TV to see where I would be chosen in the draft lottery.

Nuclear war training at school.

Sears.

Drones were unmanned planes used for target practice by the military.

Windshield wipers powered by manifold vacuum which meant that they would slow down when you sped up to pass someone in the rain.

Headlight hi/lo switch on the floorboard. maybe the starter button too.

Wonderbar auto radios.

We built skateboards before they were in the stores.

Beatles stuff EVERYWHERE!

Guy

Having to watch Lawrence Welk on saturday night but knowing professional wrestling was on after. Listening to the funny papers being read to you on the radio while you watched the pictures in the paper on sunday morning.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I remember when a ticket to a rock concert at Filmore West (Avalon Ballroom) was $8. Inside, a heaping paper plate of french fries was 25¢. I remember the night we drove my friend's 1957 VW van to see Jethro Tull, but Bill Graham came on stage to announce Ian Anderson had a cold and couldn't perform. Instead Janis Joplin and Big Brother would fill in. Best concert ever! Never did see Jethro Tull.

Candy was a nickel. The movies were .50 cents. My mother got $1.00 worth of gas. The Cold War and drop drills. Sheriff John. The Beatles. Girls couldn’t wear pants to public school and public school high school boys wore school blazers and ties. My teachers were like 85 and they were really in their 30’s. Going on a field trip to see a computer and it filled an entire large air conditioned room. No seat belts and standing up in the front seat while my mother drove and smoked. Riding with my brothers on top of a full pick up truck to the dump. No CT or MRI machines. No blow dryers for your hair. No ATMs. “Bankers hours”

No phone answering machines, party lines. Being locked outside to play by our parents until it got dark. Riding our bikes without helmets. Camping for free. Families and no homeless because people lived with their families. At least compared to now in Los Angeles.

I'm an 80's/90's child, I remember when MTV actually had music videos!

I remember back in the 60's, our only wireless communication was CB Radios. We thought we were rich.

Well it was in the '70's but I remember driving on long, lonesome highways out west and hearing truckers on the CB telling jokes and singing. To keep from dozing off I guess.

I'm so old I can remember that in my 20's, the cost of a campground in the Greek islands was the equivalent of today's $3-4 a night.
20 yards from the sea. That included toilets, showers, cooking facilities, trash, a restaurant, and mini-market.
The really fancy ones with the swimming pools, and gift shop, charged today's $ 9.00 a night.