Ikea Lycksele Bed. Has anyone tried in an Express or similar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Ikea's Lycksele Lova in a domestic van?  It looks like it might work if 1) the feet fit between the wheel wells; and 2) it can be raised to clear the wheel well height.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90032681/

We've been using a tri-fold mattress on the floor or years now, but may be ready to come up in the world a bit :shy: ,  Thanks!

Here's why it would be wrong for me. When it's in sofa mode the back would go against the wall, right? But I'd need to slide it to the other side of the van to flatten it into bed mode. Where would I stand (well, crouch, unless I had a high top) while I shift the bed's position? The least awkward would be between the bed and driver compartment and at the back door. And depending on how I set up the rest of the van, stuff would need to be moved around before I could convert to bed mode. I wouldn't want to go through this routine every night. That's why I have a single bed along the wall. Nothing needs to move, nothing needs to move back.

Oh, also, the bed would be too short for me.

Ive read of at least one using it but in a cargo trailer

VanFan said:
Has anyone used Ikea's Lycksele Lova in a domestic van?  It looks like it might work if 1) the feet fit between the wheel wells; and 2) it can be raised to clear the wheel well height.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90032681/

We've been using a tri-fold mattress on the floor or years now, but may be ready to come up in the world a bit :shy: ,  Thanks!

I used an Ikea futon mattress but built my own bed, it was the slat/slide construction.

MrNoodly said:
Here's why it would be wrong for me. When it's in sofa mode the back would go against the wall, right? But I'd need to slide it to the other side of the van to flatten it into bed mode. Where would I stand (well, crouch, unless I had a high top) while I shift the bed's position? The least awkward would be between the bed and driver compartment and at the back door. And depending on how I set up the rest of the van, stuff would need to be moved around before I could convert to bed mode. I wouldn't want to go through this routine every night. That's why I have a single bed along the wall. Nothing needs to move, nothing needs to move back.

Oh, also, the bed would be too short for me.

Thanks!  I'm trying to get some precise measurements from an acquaintance who works in an Ikea and will let you know what I find out.  (Alternatively, I'll make a trip myself.  Funny:  I don't mind going across the country, but across town?...)

I have a bit more information now.  The feet will fit within the width between the wheel wells, with about 1" to spare.  I don't have a good height measurement yet, but would estimate the feet will need to sit on something to raise it 5-6" to work as designed.  That might make it too high.

There is a complete set (frame, mattress, cover) on Ebay for $80 for local pick up only in LA.

Correction:  At foot level, there are a few more inches to spare.  I was looking at the frame at seat level.

For that..check out the folding two piece frame on walmart site made by zinus or mainstays

Exactly what I was looking at!  Support bar across the short ends limits underbed access.  The 16" and 18" models would be better, but are too high for us.  Those with an open end have legs too wide-set to fit between wheel wells.

I ordered a 14" model to try.  The back adjusts like a lounge chair, which may give us a place to a stash a few things while underway.  It's pretty heavy, though, at 66 lbs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Modern-S...ndation-or-Box-Spring-Multiple-Sizes/40120201

ETA is 5/15.  Will let you know...

Yikes!  Sure hope those rear support struts won't be an issue re wheel humps.  Probably didn't look closely enough at that.

Yes!  It fits beautifully!  (Not the Ikea one; this one:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Modern-S...ndation-or-Box-Spring-Multiple-Sizes/40120201).  Ours is the full size, so it does take a lot of space, and under bed storage/access is minimal, but I think I can make it work.  With the mattress on, it crowds my husband's headroom a bit, too.  This is probably as close to a "rock-n-roll" bed as I'll get in this lifetime.  Very pleased!

Bed is turning out to be a good choice for us! I overlooked being able to access more storage from the side doors than from front or back. Lots of space there for flat-ish stuff (luggable loo will be replaced with folding style toilet, etc.). We did not screw the adjustable head sections together, so each side can be set independently to some degree. When the head is raised, there is space behind to stow stuff, and the head acts as a kind of gear restraint. I've tied the frame down using a seat belt and connection points from the original "James Bond" electric bed long since ditched. The bed has mattress stops at the foot to keep it from sliding forward.