If you go without A/C, why do you?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a swampcooler, it's not AC but it's better than a fan or roof vents. Even when I encounter high humidity (77 percent is the highest I saw ) it still outperforms a simple fan. 

The bigger the swampcooler with big fans, the better it performs when the humidity starts to climb. As long as I stay in the swampcoolers comfort zone I never swelter even parked in the sun with all my windows/doors closed all the way.

Some folks 'have to' because fixing the A/C on an old vehicle is prohibitively expensive. The solution is to head for the hills in summer to enjoy cool mountain breezes. No problemo...

No sweltering for me, Alaska in the summer avoids it:)

Too many people pick up vans with AC systems which pre-date R134a and don't realize it's therefor prohibitively expensive or impossible to fix and maintain.
Beyond that, it's mostly an issue of being able to power an AC unit. If you want to run AC without the vehicle running a generator is a must (or absurd solar setups work too).
Swamp coolers are great for vandwelling because the power requirement is so low. My design his very high output but only consumes about 40 watts.
The single biggest factor ... It is FAR better to live OUT of your van rather than IN. No need for AC if you aren't in the van when it's hot ...

I'll bite. People have lived for tens of thousands of years with out AC. I stopped using it a few years ago and although i'm not in the hottest parts of the country, New England gets it's fair share of high humidity high temperature days and I'm never uncomfortable. You can in fact acclimate to it and to me that's a lot easier than trying to make sure i'm never with out my precious AC

If the weather forecast is for temps that are hotter than I like, I move!

I park in the shade or create my own with screen panels.

I turn on the fan.

If I'm driving I open the windows.

If I'm still too hot I remove all excess clothing and take a damp cloth to my body and/or find a lake to go swim in!

If all else fails I pour water over myself.

What exactly do I need a/c for??

The first use of AC was when the Pharos would have slaves set rocks out at night to get cool, then bring them back inside at dawn so cool air could be fanned into the throne room.  

Just my opinion a waste of resources.  

The same today with modern AC.

It has its place.  Hospitals and food storage.  Other than that ~~~ No.

I move with the weather. North in the summer, south in the winter. So I never face really hot or really cold temps.

What's the point of being "mobile" if ya don't "move"? :)

The problem with ACs is that they use huge amounts of power, and since I find it unnecessary, I prefer not to waste the effort.

GotSmart said:
The first use of AC was when the Pharos would have slaves set rocks out at night to get cool, then bring them back inside at dawn so cool air could be fanned into the throne room.  

Just my opinion a waste of resources.  

The same today with modern AC.

It has its place.  Hospitals and food storage.  Other than that ~~~ No.

Wut wha? WHAT? No AC? I'll remember that next time you come to my house and I offer the use of my RV so you and your little cat don't die suffocating in the heat[emoji13]. I could have had my own bed last night in my RV instead of sleeping in the house!!!! Sheesh! Next time the cast sleeps with me in the RV and you can stay in your van and sweat.

Cammalu said:
Wut wha? WHAT?  No AC?   I'll remember that next time you come to my house and I offer the use of my RV so you and your little cat don't die suffocating in the heat[emoji13].  I could have had my own bed last night in my RV instead of sleeping in the house!!!!  Sheesh!   Next time the cast sleeps with me in the RV and you can stay in your van and sweat.

HMMM, A night without getting kidney stomped.   :D

What a bargan!

1. My Windows in my apt are under ground.
2. Its $50 for 2 months to run em (to landlord)
3. I drink water, have freezie pops (good summer snack) or towel my head and just use a fan.

GotSmart said:

What a bargan!

That poor little cat can hardly stomp a kidney

debit.servus said:
Why do you swelter if you don't have to?

Because there's no practical way to run air conditioning off-grid for people who are living the mobile life cheaply.

I know you'd know that answer if you chose to think of it.

i live in the n.w. so the 2 weeks you might need it is not worth the cost.just get acclimated and get on with life

Walmart sells a 2,000 watt WEN inverter generator that is quiet (51db), lightweight 48 lbs and is only $475. (Get a 4 yr warranty for only $66 more, and there's a Walmart everywhere to honor it.)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/WEN-2000...trategy=TIC&visitor_id=VKdoqUXGff7zmSpP50UO08

Sams club has a high-efficiency (11.2 EER) 5,000 BTU ac for $148. Of course you've got to know someone with a membership, but I'm sure someone here could help.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/5000-btu-window-ac-2014-energy-star/prod13760144.ip

Put the 2 together and for under $700 you've got a decent, low noise set-up with a 4 yr genny warranty ($650 with the std. 2 yr warranty.)

It will burn 2 gallons of gas every 12 hrs powering your AC, so at $2.50/gallon that's $5/day for AC. That's as cheap as you can get without a super large and expensive solar set-up (over $3k and 700 lbs. but free to run and a little quieter - your AC still makes a little noise.)

Of course you've got generator maintenance, but it should be minimal (budget perhaps 50 cents/day for oil, plug and air filters) 

Some folks can't afford $650 up front and $5 for each 12 hrs of use, but many others can. 

Chip

I use a couple fans and stay in the shade. Heat index here in IA a lil while back was 125°F. In the shade with a fan on me I was fine. I don't need or want a generator ATM or an air conditioner. If you need one, then you should have one. If others don't need them, then no sense in questioning it, just accept that for whatever reason, they don't need\want it.

As to getting into trucking so you can "LIVE LIFE", hopefully you enjoy the work and the paycheck. I think if money is a motivating factor for you, you could prob find a better paying job that would let you live life with more toys(if that's what it means to live life) Best of luck to you and I hope you find it fulfilling.

"] Wut wha? WHAT?  No AC?   I'll remember that next time you come to my house and I offer the use of my RV so you and your little cat don't die suffocating in the heat[emoji13].  I could have had my own bed last night in my RV instead of sleeping in the house!!!!  Sheesh!   Next time the cast sleeps with me in the RV and you can stay in your van and sweat. [/quote] [quote='GotSmart said:

What a bargan!

You going to sleep with the entire "cast" Even I have never done that!!! You go girl! But it might not be right!

Cat kidney stomps? I am lead to believe this is a small cat? Do we have a windging award? Try the morning: "OMG!! Something? A big bloody rabid mouse is under the covers. It is going to attack my human, Kitten must kill. Kitten claws engaged!!!" Good Morning!!!

I rebuilt the beast from the skin inward. 3 inch thick walls. Air space, then reflectix followed by 2" polysi boards. Walls and roof. I have shades that fit over the cab windows, reflectix for the windows on the sunny side.

In the full sun here...it is never hotter than the outside temps. And because it is shade (inside) it is much cooler than outside most of the time. Last month the temps were running about 103-105 each day.

With fans, it is not too hot for me. But, I cannot do this with the little cat. I need to learn to build a swamp cooler for the future....and.....chasing cooler temps will be normal for me.

Scott7022 said:
You going to sleep with the entire "cast" Even I have never done that!!! You go girl! But it might not be right!

Cat kidney stomps? I am lead to believe this is a small cat? Do we have a windging award? Try the morning: "OMG!! Something? A big bloody rabid mouse is under the covers. It is going to attack my human, Kitten must kill. Kitten claws engaged!!!" Good Morning!!!

Fun with typo's.   ;)

He has learned how to get me up to feed him.

Attachments

• the boss.jpg
    the boss.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 15