Getting Lazy Why...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cy_5th

Reaction score
Ok, this is about brushing my teeth at night before I hit the sack. When I lived in a house. I brushed my teeth religiously at night. Now in the van (self contained class B) after dinner watch a little TV I would get lazy and just go to sleep.

In the morning brushing is no problem.

Why am I getting lazy?

Good teeth don't run in the family on Mom's (all false teeth lol) side and I got that part of the genes.

Houses are usually in communities and you usually have unlimited water and sewer. If you haven’t try putting your tooth brush and a bottle of water in a container on your pillow where you have to move it to go to bed as a reminder.

Houses are usually in communities and you usually have unlimited water and sewer. If you haven’t try putting your tooth brush and a bottle of water in a container on your pillow where you have to move it to go to bed as a reminder.

I think you just answered my question lol. Because that is my method right now when I'm off the grid brushing my teeth in the morning. Two bottles one for the spit and of course fresh water for the rinse.

I am hesitant of spitting out toothpaste mixed water and what have you that comes from the mouth in the sink of the van bathroom or van sink in the kitchen because it will clog or I will have a hard time sanitizing.

To clean the back area of the sink in the bathroom where the drain is I would have to remove the foldable sink which I don't know how to do. Weird how they have this molding around the drain. I would imagine that debris from my mouth will get stuck along with residuals from the toothpaste water spit.

The kitchen sink. I don't know how to access the p trap in the kitchen sink yet or the bathroom one for that matter.

So when Im off the grid I brush my teeth in the morning by spitting in a large mouth plastic bottle (those outdoor drinking one). When I am done I dump it out in the grass or dirt somewhere.

I am just getting lazy to do that before I go to sleep.

I don't however put the bottle that I use for my spit where I can see it before I sleep. I put it in the cabinet where I cannot see it lol. Only rightfully so right. So you are suggesting at night put it by my pillow, beside, to remind me.

I'll try that.

Me avoiding using the sinks for that purpose is that ok? I know I have to know how to access and clean that stuff.

I avoid a lot of stuff going down the sink. Only use it when I use dishwashing soap from hands or dishes (dishes free from debris) I have a pretty good strainer in the sink.

My method of brushing my teeth from you van lifers is the method y'all use that don't have sinks?

So I have a new dentist and she says I am flossing too hard. Every time my old dentist read the riot act about flossing I'd go home and floss harder, now this one says you can wear grooves in your teeth. Who knew? My teeth genes are about like Cy's so I am really trying to do this right. Easier said than done, apparently.
It's this little bitty rural sliding-scale clinic but she seems really smart and up to date. And doesn't treat you like a no-count loser if you don't buy the most expensive thing on the menu. Always a nice change...

This got me curious about whether there are biodegradable toothpastes (or would a purist or long-term user have to worry about spitting it on the ground). Apparently there are tons of them. I don't usually like to say "just Google it" but in this case I don't want to recommend any one product b/c I don't know anything about them. Uncle Google can at least give you a few ideas.

This got me curious about whether there are biodegradable toothpastes (or would a purist or long-term user have to worry about spitting it on the ground). Apparently there are tons of them. I don't usually like to say "just Google it" but in this case I don't want to recommend any one product b/c I don't know anything about them. Uncle Google can at least give you a few ideas.

Well I use Sensodyne because I also have very sensitive teeth to cold and heat so ever since I've use this toothpaste 7+ years now I've definitely noticed the difference. Teeth is sensitive that at the dentist I don't let them use the ultrasonic pick vibrating thing. Not only does it emit like the sound I don't like my teeth don't like it at. I tell them go with old way with scraper. Feels hella good especially when they go through the gum line.

Any biodegradable toothpaste probably wont help my sensitive teeth. I would think arm and hammer ones would be biodegradable. Made out of baking soda 😆

You won’t clog the sink spitting out a bit of toothpaste water, it is not grease or hair. But if you are really fearful about it flush it down the toilet if you are in an RV. Toilets are made to handle solids in the waste water.

It always surprises me that even very simple things like this seem insurmountable to I people new to camping lifestyles including in big RVs. The rinse water that comes out of your mouth is not toxic waste water but if you think it is then why are you using that particular brand of toothpaste? If you are worried about the germs then use a germ killing mouthwash, or a salt water rinse,

My husband spits into our grocery bag trash hanging on the back of the seat. I don't know why, but it's an option. If I tried that, it would be a mess. The sink works fine for me. He also uses a travel water pik.

You won’t clog the sink spitting out a bit of toothpaste water, it is not grease or hair. But if you are really fearful about it flush it down the toilet if you are in an RV. Toilets are made to handle solids in the waste water.

It always surprises me that even very simple things like this seem insurmountable to I people new to camping lifestyles including in big RVs. The rinse water that comes out of your mouth is not toxic waste water but if you think it is then why are you using that particular brand of toothpaste? If you are worried about the germs then use a germ killing mouthwash, or a salt water rinse,

There's something that bothers me about sink in the bathroom. There's this weird molding around the drain. It's just not around the drain too. I need to take a picture of it and post.

I spit and it would seem all would not flow in th drain. Above that elevation yes. As it drains things will get caught in that seal/mold around that drain.

So if I rinse spit mouth water it is hard to get that area without removing the foldable sink.

There's something that bothers me about sink in the bathroom. There's this weird molding around the drain. It's just not around the drain too. I need to take a picture of it and post.

I spit and it would seem all would not flow in th drain. Above that elevation yes. As it drains things will get caught in that seal/mold around that drain.

So if I rinse spit mouth water it is hard to get that area without removing the foldable sink.
That is a cause and effect situation. Caused because in RVs people are carefully conserving water instead of letting enough volume of water run to rinse the debris away into a sewer or septic system. Also people tend to reduce or stop the use of strong cleansing fluids in RVs out of concern of harming the pipes and tanks and environment.

I guess people are often at a disconnect that when they do things differently, including doing water conservation, that it might produce results they were not expecting.

If only people living in houses had to worry about water conservation and pollution as much as those on the road! Lol!!!

Just save back some empty jars or snap lid containers from grocery items and reuse them as a spitoon before disposing of them. Even an emptied ziplock bag will work. Recycle, reuse whatever is convenient for you that does not produce too big of an “ick factor” in your life. Start thinking outside that box from how you used to do such things. Not being able to adapt is the reason a lot of people end up frustrated with their lives be it nomadic or stationary. Unfortunately that kind of ridged thinking that there is only one right way to do something gets drilled into peoples’ heads by parents, military training, spouses, teachers etc. Unlock your chains, be more creative, explore lots of options. How you rinse the toothpaste out of your mouth is a good a place to unlock your creative thinking as any other mundane task that shows up in nomadic lifestyles.

I just brushed my teeth tonight. The water jar/ plastic bottle/ what was once a drinking container when I hike or what not.
Not anymore lol. Leaving it by the "pillow" as a reminder where I can see it before I sleep as a reminder, worked. The true test is I can keep doing it and eventually not having it out. It's all mental.

It’s just about setting a new routine.

I too brush outside, and make sure to scruff up the ground where I spit with my foot.

Using less toothpaste saves mess inside and out, as well as money.