Ideas for cleaning fresh water tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1978 Kit Companion Travel Trailer - about 19 feet.  I'm trying to clean the fresh water tank.  The tank is about 58 inches long and probably has been sitting for YEARS (?).  I'm trying to save money by cleaning it rather than replacing it.  Someone told be to use denture tablets!  Seriously, any ideas would be appreciated.  Pics below - - 

0828181349.jpg        0828181351~3.jpg

Attachments

• 0828181349.jpg
    0828181349.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 0828181351~3.jpg
    0828181351~3.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 10
I wonder if a pool supply store would have something. Of course you could go to an RV store and they might have something too. I carry two 5-gallon water jugs on the back of my truck and I put an eye dropper full of Clorox bleach in each one every time I fill them up. There's probably all sorts of good reasons not to but it's what I'm doing. I'm old but I'm still open to better ideas if anyone has one

The formula for sanitizing fresh water tanks is 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons.
I was going to do my tank but it involve bypassing the water pump, which I have no idea how to do.

Clorox regular unscented bleach. Or the store brand bleach. It is best to mix the bleach with water first. But I have poured 1/2 gallon bleach into 30 gallon tank and immediately filled with hose, potable water hose. You want to drain as much from the tank before starting. Let sit over night and drain and flush. If you smell Clorox it is good. Here is the official site. https://www.clorox.com/how-to/disin...sinfecting-with-bleach/bleaching-water-tanks/
Also a search on google, "Cleaning water tanks with bleach" will give you much better info than I give.

I don't know about bypassing the water pump. Avoiding the water pump, yes.
Use the drain on the tank. Have a plan for the drainage.

When I sanitize our rv tank, the formula is as posted above 1/4 c bleach per 15 gal. fresh water. I do bypass my water heater.. I then run water pump and open faucets in sink and bath. refill water tank and rinse...do this a few times to remove excess bleach and odor.

To sanitize: plain chlorine bleach (without all the whiteners, brighteners, tighteners, & frighteners) at a concentration of 1/2 fl. oz. per gallon of water (concentration used to sanitize food processing equipment).  
  1. Fill to about 85% full and drive around for at least 5 minutes to slosh mix around in the tank.
  2. Fill until water comes out overflow (if you have one).  Make sure you run some mix through the fill spout/line.  Run water through all water lines (critters grow in there too).  Let sit at least another 5 minutes.
  3. Drain.
  4. Fill with clean water, run water through lines again, drain.
  5. Repeat if you want.

If you have crud in the tank:
  • Putting some hot water in and letting it sit will often soften hard, crusty stuff on the bottom of the tank up.
  • Dumping 5 lbs of ice cubes into the tank and driving around for a while will knock stuff loose.
  • A little Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot or warm water, filled to ~85% and driven around to agitate should cut any greasy film that has built up.
Drain, rinse if desired, run sanitize routine described above.