I would love a...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sofisintown

Reaction score
Porthole window in my van.
The real thing that opens, not the fake ones that are just for decoration.
They are not even too expensive, but I freeze at the thought of taking snips and carving holes.

ph.jpg

What is your dream van-thingy?

Attachments

• ph.jpg
    ph.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 11
Ahhh, a porthole window.  I admire them, as well.

You know, life is short, and I would encourage you to do this if it is something your heart really yearns for.

Researching thoroughly, having a professional do it and seal around it carefully, should be no different than any other window in a van.

They’re all cut out at some point, right?

Windows in our rigs allow us access to the outdoors when we must be inside, for whatever reason.

I say, do it.   :blush:

...van that is completely built out into a RV sort of thing. I want "house beautiful" on wheels. Instead, all I've got is a mess. How to fix it? I'm so not good at this.

Travelaround I think that’s a Class B a van that’s an RV ? I actually stop people to look inside and wish. But I saw a small Class C that was really nice. I’m a great car driver but anything bigger not so much.

VanFan said:
A pariscope?

Paris looks better in person...
But if you mean a periscope, I hope I'll not need that... The plan is to keep my head above the water.  :s

A pothole would be nice, and I've been to Pari-scope several times. Visited Jim Morrison in Pere la Chaise. Teenage girls were standing around literally crying 25 years later in the mid-1990s, and people were taking chips off the grave marker using hammers. Then I went to see Edith Piaf and Oscar Wilde.

But just for fun, I am putting some security cameras in the van, so I can see what goes bump in the night. The one in the passenger compartment has pan and tilt capability, addressable from a tablet. Because I can.

Sofisintown said:
Porthole window in my van.
The real thing that opens, not the fake ones that are just for decoration.
They are not even too expensive, but I freeze at the thought of taking snips and carving holes.
you can use a drill motor and a jig saw with a metal cutting blade. Make a pattern, a new porthole might well come with a pattern.

Or a company that puts sun roofs in vehicles might be willing to install the porthole if you take it to them. I thought about putting a little one in on the wall where my stove is but I have ventilation up in my popup, in the door window near the stove and two sliding windows.

I was noticing this morning how much the inside of my trailer reminded me of the cabin on a small boat. The popup area is framed around the edges like a boat companionway. Because my trailer is fiberglass the sides have a slope to them and the upper edge between the walls and the roof has a radius. Also except for in the popup area the roof of my "cabin" is not full standing headroom. So very much a boat cabin feel about it. But it won't float unless it was put on top of a barge.

I want to get one of the smaller sized Clam shelters with side panels once I downsize some more after my build is done. I need some protected outdoor space for hot and rainy weather. It is not built into my vehicle but it is certainly an important part of my living space.

Agreed on the DIY Lagun table. (Though I’m not sure it’s quite at “van of my dreams” level yet.) I think I will try to make one soon using the top of an old TV tray and the design from the “Back to Reality” YouTube. 

(Instructional video here for those interested: . Description of the table begins at about 2:00, and the instructions at 5:00. Threaded pipe and elbow fittings make the table leg, which rotates in a brace/mount made of a short length of PVC.)

Lagun is only useful if your seats are fixed in place. We don't use them in S&B because our tables are fixed in place and our chairs move. Et tu, the van.

You are right Q, I just like the way it flips around and goes all over the place. I doubt if the pipes will make it stable enough.
I have a moving chair for my fixed table in the van.

This morning I think I would like to add a triangle shaped extension to the end of my kitchen cabinet counter to. That would act as my bedside table surface. It must of cours include a small drawer, a cup holder and  a USB outlet for my phone and tablet so I can read in bed without running down the battery. It will be a removable extension because plans change over time.

You could make this atrociously expensive folding table for a few bucks?IMG_20201017_123845389.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_123845389.jpg
    IMG_20201017_123845389.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 9