I will officiate at your wedding/handfasting-gratis

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
I recently had to find a wedding officiant on short notice for a simple wedding with only the witnesses. I was able to find someone, but it was irritating that the ceremony could only be performed by a minister or judge. That was a pain and I said to myself, "Self, there has to be an easier way!". 

So, I went online and for free, I am now a minister (yes, my family is laughing at this nice Jewish girl) with the Universal Life Church. I just had to buy the el cheapo package of the "Credentials of Ministry". I like happy lifestyle events. When I worked as an RN in Labor & Delivery years ago, I would warn my patients that sometimes (if the birth was easy and touching) I might shed a tear or two. 

So, if you find yourself in the area where I'm wandering, and you want to get married, I'm your officiant. My only conditions are that the ceremony is non-Christian and non-Pagan. And you need to shlep your license back to the courthouse where it needs to be recorded.  Just PM me to find out where I may be and when.  Right now I'm in NM and will be heading to AZ and  SoCal in the next few weeks.  Love has no limits.
Ted

Hi Ted, if I remember right, it's most likely your responsibility(as the officiant) to turn the completed marriage license into the county. Obviously laws are different every where, but you might want to double check this one. Best of luck!

Hey Wabbit, yes, generally the officiant is supposed to bring the completed license to get recorded. Not in New Mexico, though. But, if the newly married couple wants/needs me to do that, they need to drive me to the courthouse (wherever that may be) and buy Hubby and me lunch or dinner. My van has crappy mpg. For a free officiant, that's not unreasonable.
Ted

I'm a multi-denominational minister. Universal Life Church, Church of the Latter Day Dude, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Church of the Subgenius...

The marriage paperwork and weddings can be completely separate things. The marriage license people don't care what sort of ceremony you have or whether you have one at all. So I recommend keeping them separate. Have the ceremony you want, make your vows and pledges, celebrate your asses off—without needing to worry about a proper officiant. Get the legalities done at the county office, either before or after, when you're not trying to do a celebration at the same time.

I’ve been a minister with the Universe Life Church since early 1998, welcome. I’m also a licensed bartender, so I can marry you, bury you, and tend bar at your wedding or wake!

Hi, I’m new here, but will just interject that I am an ordained minister-at-large.

I do not belong to any organized church or group, and do not teach any system of dogma, and I respect others’ personal beliefs, whatever they may be, in most cases. In an earlier life I was a pastor in Baptist churches and was ordained a Baptist minister. I have a BA in biblical studies with graduate work in koine Greek. But I am of no church or denomination now.

I can perform your wedding or binding ceremony. I’m located mostly in West Texas the next few years.

Seems like a few people here are ordained, that's pretty cool! I was ordained in 2002 in the Universal Life Church as a Shaman-Priest. That's my official title in the Church. I was indoctrinated Catholic, so I think that's where the Priest part comes in. The Shaman comes from my later years in life, after I left the parental nest. Reminds me I need to update my address on my ID!

When I was in Vegas, I saw a young woman standing in front of one of those quickie marriage chapels, went over to her and said "Ya know, we could go in there and get married right now, and then ten minutes later we could go back and get divorced." She thought about it for a few seconds, then said, "Nah, we probably shouldn't do that...."

:)

What a cool idea! Too late to marry me, but maybe I'll get my self ordained :)