I want to watch T.V in my van...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to know where the repeater closest to you is. Then point your antenna there. Some antenna have much better gain/reach than others.

I used to live in Ridgecrest and LA was due west with massive signal yet pretty far away. But the nearest repeater was just about due south. Pointing it at the south repeater gave us many extra channels, as the signal reaching us was stronger.

My first van had an annolog antenna and like mpruet stated, you have to spin it around in the direction of the singal. It radiats out from the source and many things in between you and the singal can interfere with the recption.

Most TV antennas are directional so if it’s not in the right position you won’t get good reception.
I understand that, but if I use the rabbit ear type antennas (that have been successful for me in the house) in the trailer.... why wouldn't they work in a trailer (versus a house)?

[ I have streaming internet TV in the house, but when I subscribed to Xfinity/Comcast, they didn't include local stations. So for local I would have to disconnect the xfinity cable to hook up the rabbit ears. Now I have fiber internet with i3 Broadband. They provide local stations.

[And when I lived in a tiny rural town downstate with no streaming and no cable, the rabbit ears pulled in quite a few stations.]

I'll dig them out of storage and give them a try.

I understand that, but if I use the rabbit ear type antennas (that have been successful for me in the house) in the trailer.... why wouldn't they work in a trailer (versus a house)?

[ I have streaming internet TV in the house, but when I subscribed to Xfinity/Comcast, they didn't include local stations. So for local I would have to disconnect the xfinity cable to hook up the rabbit ears. Now I have fiber internet with i3 Broadband. They provide local stations.

[And when I lived in a tiny rural town downstate with no streaming and no cable, the rabbit ears pulled in quite a few stations.]

I'll dig them out of storage and give them a try.
They should work, but they’re still directional and have to be in the best position to get good reception.

Make sure you are using a digital antenna and receiver if you want to receive broadcast TV... In a vehicle that age your setup is most likely still for Analog which I think was discontinued 5ish years ago?

Make sure you are using a digital antenna and receiver if you want to receive broadcast TV... In a vehicle that age your setup is most likely still for Analog which I think was discontinued 5ish years ago?
Right, I had forgotten about that.

Wow!! That is probably the issue. You are so smart, Frood.

Soooo... off to search digital rooftop antennas for travel trailers.

So my rabbit ears worked because they are digital! Hmm. Mystery solved:)

Lots of options. For me I purchased a 19" 12V TV/DVD and added a small magnetic-base antenna that attaches to the van roof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SHZHFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
It stores away in a small stuff bag and when in use, is not affected by high winds--as are larger antennas. I also carry an adjustable painter's pole that I can attach to the rear door hinges. This allows the antenna to be placed well above the roof of the van for better reception (height is everything for pulling in weaker stations). Obviously a bigger antenna would be better, but storage, placement and wind issues then become a problem. YMMV
Ooooh love your info ! THX 😁

Ooooh love your info ! THX 😁
What kind of range are you getting with the omnidirectional antenna 1-10 miles 10-20 or even more? I have a directional antenna which is great on my stationary RV but the omnidirectional one would be much easier when travelling in my van if it can pull a good distance