I think I get the "woman only thing"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wagoneer

Reaction score
When I read a posting asking for help/advice I usually just respond that is my nature to be helpful and engaged. I suppose I had better read what part of the forum I post in .

Hey,
They don't discriminate-I got a private note, too, after I posted the first time. And I'm a woman.
Ted

I try to remain "genderless" when I am in forums asking for or trying to give advice. I find "genderless" works in many venues. I have even found males that had wives, sisters or mothers with my issues were often more capable of advising me than other females. I grew up with just one brother, had 2 boys, spent a lot of time just hanging out with my dad and grandpa, worked in jobs primarily with men, so that is where I come from.

Some women wanted a special area of the forum for discussion, it is their choice to use it as they see fit. "It is what it is." No one should be offended by those making an available "choice".

I figure, it's kinda like a happy meal for kids. The only difference is that there's no food, no toy, and no point. Well that and also the fact I don't snicker at the idea of happy meals.

On a side note, I also heard men have better senses of humor...

Thread titles in that sub should state women only.

When I'm posting I usually pay no attention to context like people, what sub or even what website the post comes into my feed from, just the relevant information.

It may seem a weird thing to some, but many women have been patronized and talked down to (or yelled at) by men when asking questions and a women-only forum is designed to be a safe space for those who need it.

It’s hard to trust or learn from men if you still have trauma from being treated disrespectfully when you were younger.

I lived this.  And though I don’t generally post in the women-only forum, I understand and respect the need for it.

My chauvinistic, domineering dad was not the easiest person to learn from when I was learning to drive at 14.  He was impatient and dismissive of my initial timidity.  I ended up learning to drive with my mom and older friends.

Partly because of this,  in my mid-thirties, I participated in a women-only sailing training (Womanship).  It was empowering and relaxing and I thrived in their “No Yelling” environment.  Our teacher was a grounded woman in her sixties and a great role model for me.

There are a few vandwellers groups that are women-only on Facebook and they are great spaces for newbies.

I absolutely love being cast into a group and assumed that because I was born a certain way then by nature my actions will be a certain way... instead of seeing me as an individual. No matter, I will help anyone that needs assistance no questions asked and it makes no difference to me how they were born. Well, now that I've chimed in on this thread it is only a matter of time until it is deleted....

SondraRose said:
It may seem a weird thing to some, but many women have been patronized and talked down to (or yelled at) by men when asking questions and a women-only forum is designed to be a safe space for those who need it.. .

It’s hard to trust or learn from men if you still have trauma from being treated disrespectfully when you were younger...

My chauvinistic, domineering dad was not the easiest person to learn from when I was learning to drive at 14.  He was impatient and dismissive of my initial timidity...

I imagine men would appreciate a "safe zone" too. A space to get away from the ones that screech and squawk incessantly.

I find it hard to trust women mainly because I dated a few and had one as a wife.

As to trust issues with your dad, you should meet my mom.

Point being, if there is a "safe zone" for women and they value it, one would think they would be the biggest supporters of a "safe zone" for men. If they're not, why not?

This has been discussed, ad nauseum, here.

If a man sees something in the women only forum and you'd like to comment on the subject start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.