I Open windows for cool Breeze, I get mosquitoes n allergies.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4901.JPG

Here's the skeeter beater.  Decent quality.  
As is, I'm sure it will keep out lots of annoying things.
Clicking the pic should bring it right side up for easier viewing

Attachments

• IMG_4901.JPG
    IMG_4901.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Thanks for posting the photo. I have been meaning to get around to making some window screens for my vehicle and some for my friend.

I figured out a while back that by taking along my lightweight sewing machine I could make money on the road whipping these things up for people to custom fit their vehicles. I can store a lot of yards of no-see-um fabric in a very small space :)

Yep. My sister custom made me a pair. Of course I had to make a pattern first. I used thin vinyl to make the pattern.

Make a durable pattern for each body style you run across and you could make them up at anytime.

B and C said:
Yep.  My sister custom made me a pair.  Of course I had to make a pattern first.  I used thin vinyl to make the pattern.

Make a durable pattern for each body style you run across and you could make them up at anytime.
I will have to remember to make a photo tutorial on making the patterns and sewing the screens when I get around to making some.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Permathrin is a contact repellant (affects the nervous system) , so spraying inside surfaces will keep them off inside surfaces.  Works well on clothing, should limit contact with skin (~1% absorption), not healthy to breathe, never get it on mouth or eyes (rapid absorption).  I use it on clothing as a tick repellant.

Thanks for reminding me ... now that springtime temps will soon be upon us where I live, it's time to spray my screens again.  Already I am seeing some of the bugs coming out again.

i was in Alabama last week near Dothan. i rubbed down with Vicks vaporub and sprayed some Kid and Pet safe insecticide. that seemed to work well and i had no bites. I was able to keep the windows closed as it is much cooler up there than in Florida. or it waas last week. so happy not to have bites swelling up my arms!

Sofisintown said:
Nooooo! Not the whole van! Mosquito repellant damages the paint! :exclamation:

Well i didnt need to spray to whole van.  just a few shots to the carpet. it's ingredients are Peppermint oil and rosemary oil. very strong odor. Better than being bitten, though.

I've found that when taking vitamin B everyday something comes out in your sweat that helps keep them away.

ladysawfan said:
Not sure what to do about this. i guess i have to stick to using a fan or two and stay inside the van more. Are there any areas in the country where you find fewer mosquitoes?

I have a Dodge Caravan and need to maintain stealth so I bought a net that is designed to hang over a sleeping bag from Amazon. I stretched a bungee cord down the center of the ceiling to hang the net from. It was under $20.00

Latest posts