I may have transmission problems.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonna Jump

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Airstream class b. It surges or misses off and on. Sometimes I can feel it in the rear of the van, like a clunk, a slip and then a grabbing hold again. It does fine climbing steep hills, this mostly happens when stopped at lights, or going down the highway. I'm mechanically inept, did get transmission drained and replaced fluid and filter before I left Tucson. It seemed to miss, service guys said it was because engine was so dirty and to add sea foam. I had a complete tune-up and oil change before I left also. Anyone know of honest RV mechanics in Portland OR area?  :huh:

you dont want a rv mechanic,you want a auto/truck mechanic
your class b is a modified van so any good auto/truck mechanic can do the diagnostic

I agree, check fluid level first. When under torque (climbing) it doesn't happen...Hmm.

Jump on yelp.com for mechanic. Shows reviews/feeback.

I had a 1995 E-250 that acted similar to that and I also thought transmission issue. Took it to local Ford dealer and turned out to be rear speed sensor. Cost around $100-$125 to get replaced best I remember. You may be as lucky as I was.

Gonna Jump said:
I have a 1994 Airstream class b. It surges or misses off and on. Sometimes I can feel it in the rear of the van, like a clunk, a slip and then a grabbing hold again. It does fine climbing steep hills, this mostly happens when stopped at lights, or going down the highway. 
Check the U-joints on the drive line first, and if the drive line has a carrier bearing check that too. Those two items should be checked at the same time.
Sounds to me like the engine miss may be causing drive line issues to show up. While the tech is under there, have em check the pinion for slop too.
A miss will unload and load again your drive train, making weak links become more apparent.
Just my .02 cents.

If you feel a clunk from the rear, it can also be a differential problem. If the spider gears are chewed up, sometimes they well catch and everything will be fine, but there will be times when they might slip. If you hear any chirping coming from the rear tires during turns that will be a differential problem.

Gideon33w said:
Need the motor and trans info please. Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

Hi Gideon, thanks for your help/advice. It's a 1994 Ford truck E350 1 ton econoline van, Airstream 190. It has a 7.5 liter 460 V-8 engine. Don't know what kind of trans. (?)

Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm writing everything down so I can ask the mechanic and maybe sound like I have a clue.  :blush:  Dennis, here's hoping it's a rear speed sensor! I'll check fluid as soon as I figure out where to check, I'm surfing the oracle of knowledge. Bless you all.