I have $20 and a half tank of gas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannedsquatch

Reaction score
Along with the title, I have a propane stove, cast iron skillet, a pack of bagels, 8 long necks of craft beer and a van... I have a week from Friday till my next check, and I can go to a plasma bank for 20 on the first day, and 40 on the second, so I can get 60 a week...
Since I thrive under a structured environment, I would like some help.
I have no refrigerator, no running water, no ac, and I'm stuck, so, cab I get some help with a meal plan...
I'm also looking into soup kitchens...
So, please help me eat cheap and save some cash when that next check comes in...
thanks, Squatch

1. Trade beer for food stamps. Hustle outside a liquor store.

2. Tortillas, beans, and hot sauce fed a family of five on twenty bucks for a week in mexico. It wasn't fun but I'm still here

3. If you're within a half tank of gas from trinidad colorado I'll feed you and you can teach me something in exchange

4. Check your local county food pantry resources. Churches will often be able to refer you appropriately regardless of denomination

5. Consider fishing and trapping small game

6. Look into a local reddit.com subreddit or random acts of pizza. I can order you a pizza on Thursday and Friday if you promise to pass it on

7. Ramen Ramen Ramen. I suggest top ramen. Google ramen noodle recipes.

Good luck

find a real good book......find a nice shady spot.....I would buy 10 dollars worth of staple food with a decent protein base....beans & rice.....eggs....canned chicken....tuna..whatever doesnt need refrigeration and stretch it.

been there done that...wish you were close , It wouldnt be the first time to group for a hunker down mode.

find somewhere you can be comfortable & have a water source.....when you need an uplift or just need to vent jump in here...all of us can at least cheer you on and give you emotional support.

definitely hit a food bank and a few churches to at least get staple food supply....and a few books go a long way to keep you out of your wallet and burn up the time.

good luck and I'll keep an eye on the post

Ramen noodles + tofu + spices makes a pretty decent meal. I usually throw out the ramen flavor pack since you REALLY don't need that kind of sodium... But it's quick and easy, and you can get a block of firm tofu for under a buck. That block should last 4 meals. As long as it's cooked right, it won't taste like... tofu.

Well guys, I wish I was close by, but I'm in Minnesota, right now I'm hunkered down in a free parking lot for the bus, been sleeping and staying out of the sun, I live in the twin cities, and love it, my biggest issue is that I love food so much, and I boredom eat, add that to my size and age, and its a dangerous combo, I appreciate the help.
Wish I hadn't lost my pipe, a good smoke usually takes off the edge

And on eggs, don't refrigerated ones go bad due to condensation, I need to find a farmer

Peanut butter.

I think, once you get past this tight spell, that you need to learn how to budget your food. I recently posted a link to a boating website where they had lots of shelf stable food recipes. https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-The-Boat-Galley-Recipes

Also you can build a Zeer "food cooler" to keep foods cooler without actual refrigeration. https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-No-Refrigeration-Required

We use flour tortillas in place of bread. We buy them two 24 ct packs for $4.16 at Sam's Club. You can use flour tortillas for lots of things. They do get moldy so they would be a candidate for a zeer cooler. We freeze ours.

cannedsquatch said:
Well guys, I wish I was close by, but I'm in Minnesota, right now I'm hunkered down in a free parking lot for the bus, been sleeping and staying out of the sun, I live in the twin cities, and love it, my biggest issue is that I love food so much, and I boredom eat, add that to my size and age, and its a dangerous combo, I appreciate the help.
Wish I hadn't lost my pipe, a good smoke usually takes off the edge

And on eggs, don't refrigerated ones go bad due to condensation, I need to find a farmer

As far as places to ask for help Minnesota is probably one of the best. Be honest, be open, and allow folks to help you. They will. It's not quite lutefisk season but seriously. ...Minnesota will feed you. Hell, if we have to I'll send my mom your way.

With all of the flooding going on right now at your location there should be many day laborer jobs doing cleanup that might offer daily settlements.

Check out the local food bank too. Canned and dry food needs no refrigeration.

You can’t beat the just add water pancake mix!

DONT give up the beer. I know what you mean about eating. Like I tell people just because yer full is no reason to stop eating but then I'm over weight too. Start walking for exercise and go easy on the food. I wish I was close, my wife would cook us a great meal and then it would be a few shots of tequila and a beer. As you say a buzz certainly wouldn't hurt either.

Hey, lutefisk is great, after a shot or two of schnapps, I have a full time Hun, but my money went into tires, a new master cylinder, a micro jumper battery/ accessory charger, and a full tank of gas.. among other things...
I go to brueggers bagels for day old bagels at $3.xx for 5, so my bread is covered...
Just found out theat I need a new map (manifold pressure) sensor, but it can wait... I'll just run a bit rich until I can get the part...

Get a rice cooker, these are cheap at under $20. Buy a bag of rice to cook using the rice cooker. Add some slice hotdogs for meat and lettuce and corn. Makes for a healthier alternative to Ramen noodles. I would also supplement with noodle soup, but the better brands versus Ramen.

On the eggs. Put the suspect in a pan of water. If egg floats get rid of it. Water has to cover the egg. As an egg goes bad it off gases, which causes the egg to float off the bottom.

I keep eggs well past the experation date in refrigeration, up to 2 months with no problem. Once they get some age on them check them in the pan of water. Make sure there is enough water to completely cover the egg.

If i am to understand correctly an egg naturally has protective coatings that prevents the need for refrigeration. As our eggs are delightfully processed en masse the protective coating is removed and the need for refrigeration become present.

I've been in places where eggs are never placed in a fridge and keep for at least 3 weeks (longest we kept any).

I could certainly be wrong and have no facts aside from anecdotal to offer.

$20 can buy a week's worth of food if you shop correctly and eat wisely.

I'm no fan of the Ramen noodles. They are extremely unhealthy and provide zero nutrition.

I usually eat meals in the 1-2 dollar range per meal and my meals are protein focused.

Some of my suggestions: http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/simple-foods-for-a-frugal-traveler/
Non-refrigerated foods: http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/no-refrigeration-foods/

I also posted my grocery list a while back: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Grocery-Supply-list
Nearly everything on that list can be had for $1 or less per item, and each item can be multiple meals. For example, you can get a jar of Peanut Butter and a loaf of bread for under $4. That will supply you with 10+ sandwiches with good complex carbs (energy), the good fats, and tons of protein.

Combine instant rice (get brown rice, not white) and canned beans for 3-4 meals under 50c each and great nutrition.

I have a few recipes of meals I actually eat on a regular basis which cost very little if you want to browse my blog: http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/category/food-diet/

Been there done that more times than I can count. Can of tuna, egg noodles and a can of cream of mushroom soup. A few meals for $3. Add bread crumbs and one egg to a can of tuna, make a patty and fry it, it's really good. Peanut butter is my go to. Don't shop at grocery stores, go to Family Dollar or Dollar General. Their shelves are stocked with dollar food items.

The electric rice cooker suggestion will only work on grid.

I use the saucepan and small stainless mixing bowl method to cook rice on a stovetop.

I my recipe I put bottled salsa, bottled sliced jalapeno peppers, and ½ water ½ chicken broth into the mixing bowl. If you have any leftover meat add that near the end.

This month I got hooked up with the local food bank and received a good $50+ worth of canned and dry food plus two frozen loaves of wheat bread.

I then go to a Dollar Tree with freezers and a cooler (because of the dollar price point food is sized more just one person).

Then I a hit a regular supermarket for fresh vegetables and meat.

For instance a quart carton of chicken or beef broth is $2.25 at my little local supermarket and of course a $1 at the Tree.

Be very careful about what you buy at DollarTree. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy the stuff at Wal-Mart. Get a note pad and keep track of the prices at the various stores so you know when/where the best price is or when the sale beats your normally cheaper source. Once you get back to normal buying, buy ONE extra canned/shelf stable item per week and rotate it into your stock (rotating keeps you from having a can of something 5+ years old). You want to build up enough of a food supply that if you "lose" a paycheck or two, you will still have some food left. Do the same with money ($1 - $5 per week stashed back) for REAL emergencies.

Learn from this experience and try not to get here again. And I do know what I am talking about.

When we first moved to TN and we were all living in the popup while David was trying to find a job, he got a job with a car dealership (very bad experience, I don't want to talk about it, the crooks). We were to the point that our remaining cash was going to fuel for the car and site rent. There was almost nothing left to feed 2 adults, 2 ravenous kids and a large dog and antique cat. Luckily there were other transients living in the park with us who pointed me towards places to buy food at. One was the bread thrift store. I was buying whole flats of hamburger buns and sub rolls the fast food restaurants turned down (they baked too much). 48 hamburger buns for $1 then raised prices to $2. We ate bread in everything. Bread stretches everything. I even had my kids fishing in the lake (no license required for kids) with bread balls for bait (wad up a bit of bread, spit on it sand work into a dough consitency, put on hook). Sunfish love bread balls. Gutted/deheaded the sunfish, baked the too small ones skin-scales on (too small to clean) until done. Let cool enough to peel the skin off and remove the tiny bones. Combine with bread crumbs and an egg (there were lots of wild geese and they laid free eggs every where), shape into patties and bake. Fish patties. I shared bread (we couldn't eat it all) and veggies when possible with other transcients, they shared with us when they could. We met one couple who stayed in the campground most weekends. They would go fishing and catch lots of catfish. They gave us all their catfish as they could only eat a couple. I think they felt sorry for us. But we learned from that experience. We learned a lot. I don't run out of food. I know where to start looking for cheap food sources. I learned thrift stores are wonderful places. I learned that there are people who are willing to share their knowledge so I share mine. I might not be able to help right now, but hopefully I can tell someone something that will help them avoid a bad experience later. David changed jobs and things got much, much better.

No one is going to discuss the merits of cat food vs dog food?