I got one!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugster

Reaction score
I had been looking at several different options. If you have read my introductory post, there was some uncertainty about my future. I think things have settled down but I had the bug (and also thought it would be a good idea of having a plan B). 
I had placed an ad on Craigslist and someone replied offering a van for $1200. I had not been able to go 30 miles north to take a look but was off today and we drove up to take a look. I hadn't even been in a conversion van so was not sure it would fit, I am 6'4". I knew I wouldn't be able to stand up, but was wondering if I'd fit in the dinette and convertible bed.
When we got to where the van was parked, the owner wasn't there but it was unlocked. We opened it up and checked it out. It isn't perfect but it was pretty decent and I fit in the dinette well enough and we decided all four of us would be able to camp comfortably in it. 
The owner showed up and we looked at it some more and took it for a drive. There is a hole in the muffler but it drove well, stopped well (brakes did squeak a little) and just felt good. The last time a vehicle 'felt good' was my 1970 VW Camper that I bought that came with the original accessory side tent that was in brand new condition.
So, we bought it. I don't negotiate well, but asked what he would take for it. He said he had an offer of $1000 from someone that was going to use only the chassis and trash the rest and he declined but if I was going to use it to camp and take kids places, he'd take $1000. Done deal :)
I grinned the entire trip home :)
0329151633_1_zpsqzfhntkx.jpg

0329151740a_zpskxvbniyw.jpg

0329151740_zpslq9y4iih.jpg

0329151749_zpshcg50gn6.jpg

For twelve hundge how can you go wrong?

cdiggy said:
For twelve hundge how can you go wrong?

i hope that doesn't turn into one of those 'famous last words' things

it does look like a lot of van for $1000

steveh2112 said:
i hope that doesn't turn into one of those 'famous last words' things

it does look like a lot of van for $1000

Hehe, I usually do pretty well buying off Craigslist :) 

LeeRevell said:
Sleeping four will be tight, so y'all had better be 'cozy' together!  :)
Nice starter van!  What year is it?

Well, my Wife and I on the bed, and the kids will fit on the floor and the passenger seat reclines (and swivels, too!)
It's an '89.

Those 89's are mechanically very sound. Should lasts a long time!

Thanks! Already had the police called on it :) We live in an older apartment complex in the historical good part of town. We drove the van home Sunday and although it looks pretty good, the spare tire is completely wrecked, and we don't have a tag yet. We had put the tag we are going to use in the back window so we don't lose it.
The Apartment Manager who is kind of squirelly decided it was a suspicious vehicle and my Wife got a call, and explained we had bought it Sunday and would be legal this week and was not actually a meth lab...
I went into work today at 4am so I was not in the right mood to talk to anyone who was annoying, but I'll go clarify things with the Manager tomorrow. It's amusing, since there is nothing wrong with the van and the Police Officer had no issues whatsoever.
Heck, I may go sleep in it tonight, in the parking lot, but I think that was mentioned in the rules of the complex. But I really want to! :)