I Could Fly the Coop in this Avion!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte's Web

Reaction score
Until my place is marketable & closes escrow, I'm not sure what sort of rig I will choose.  But I am decidedly fond of the quirky & unusual, so long as parts can be had.  Etc., etc.

The sight of this beauty made my heart pound.  *Just*  the sort of thing I could fall for.  This would be a good engine, I think.  Your thoughts? 

rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvs/d/rare-classic-1976-avion/6280496539.html

i love it but way way over priced and 440 engine is over kill gas hog

if you like these try searching "american clipper" similar but full fiberglass shell

Gary68 said:
i love it but way way over priced and 440 engine is over kill gas hog

Ah Come on Gary, haven't you ever had the urge to Drag Race your motorhome? :p 
I agree, way over priced, especially when it'll need new gray & black tanks, the generator doesn't run, etc. 
Other than the above, I do like it, plus 6 new tires sweeten the deal, and according to the AD, it does have a bit of work done.
If you're serious, I would offer considerably less for it.

Gentlemen, thanks for your appraisals.

Here's the deal:  I am NOT able to buy any rig till my place sells.  I'm using the time to explore options, get to know the up/downsides of different rigs.  I might go with a Toyota truck & a 22 foot vintage Airstream trailer, or an old school RV with looks I can live with. 

Your appraisals of things I post along the way will help me later.  Gary, I have looked at a couple of CL ads for Clippers, & might consider of of those.  This Avion, given it is set up for solar & has new tires, etc is, by Bay Area pricing standards, not horribly overpriced.  Buying a vintage RV closer to home has advantages, as I am sure you must know.

The mpg, if stated realistically by seller, better than a lot of later model RVs up to 24 feet.  Is the Mopar engine for hot rods?   That could be a good thing, for with all these disasters everywhere, one might need to make a quick getaway!

I'll watch this CL ad & see how long it takes to sell.  She's a pretty thing with those curvy lines.  Why, I wonder, does it have a rebuilt engine with such low original miles?

Charlotte (I can dream, can't I?)
blush.gif

Charlotte\ said:
Gentlemen, thanks for your appraisals.

Here's the deal:  I am NOT able to buy any rig till my place sells.  I'm using the time to explore options, get to know the up/downsides of different rigs.  I might go with a Toyota truck & a 22 foot vintage Airstream trailer, or an old school RV with looks I can live with. 
<-------->
I'll watch this CL ad & see how long it takes to sell.  She's a pretty thing with those curvy lines.  Why, I wonder, does it have a rebuilt engine with such low original miles?
Good idea to start training yourself ahead of time. Are Mopar engines for hot rods? Hmm, they could be, especially the 440. But it can also be for big trucks, which a motorhome basically is. I have heard of people getting decent mileage from them if driven conservatively, aka, no stepping on the throttle hard enough to dip into the secondaries on the carb, or unnecessary down shifting, (hitting passing gear) etc.
True story, my brother and I did drag race a couple 73ish Winnebago Braves right down a main street when gas was cheap. They were so big and cumbersome that nobody else could tell we were racing though. :p

Ballenxj said:
...True story, my brother and I did drag race a couple 73ish Winnebago Braves right down a main street when gas was cheap. They were so big and cumbersome that nobody else could tell we were racing though. :p

You made me laugh so loud it woke my sleeping hound & scared her half to death!

By current "rig" is an '85 Westfalia, which I hope soon to sell.  I am easy on the gas pedal by nature & good at nursing decent MPG out of anything...

Still want ideas on WHY it has a rebuilt engine with such low original miles...

rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

^
The mileage could actually be higher since the odometer has only 5 digits. Or someone just didn't maintain it, run it low on oil and blew the engine. You also would want to know--rebuilt by who? The guy's brother-in-law or a reputable shop?

Charlotte\ said:
Still want ideas on WHY it has a rebuilt engine with such low original miles...

That 76 vehicle will only have a 5 digit odometer, so cannot register more than that. Probably 134,000, which is a bit for those older RV's.

Charlotte\ said:
You made me laugh so loud it woke my sleeping hound & scared her half to death!

These were the two Drag Racers. :p 
medium800.jpg

slow2day said:
The mileage could actually be higher since the odometer has only 5 digits.  Or someone just didn't maintain it, run it low on oil and blew the engine. You also would want to know--rebuilt by who?  The guy's brother-in-law or a reputable shop?

All good points!  Since the engine was rebuilt 10k miles ago, it may have been rebuilt within a reasonable time frame. 

As to WHO rebuilt it,  good question to ask.

Thanks for your input
smile.gif

Charlotte

Ballenxj said:
That 76 vehicle will only have a 5 digit odometer, so cannot register more than that. Probably 134,000, which is a bit for those older RV's.

OK, I see that's likely.  What I am doing here is learning to sleuth CL ads.  I need to get good at it before I am actually ready to buy. 

Judging from the Avion's interior, still original in about everything, still looking clean & well kept, I might be right in judging the drive train/engine have been maintained as well, so rig would be worth a call/look.  Seller sez previous owner had it in AZ/CA for past twenty years.

I like the length & layout a lot.  Perfect for one person with a hound, a sewing machine, & lots of books--who cooks from scratch.  Also, most RVs are ugly looking to me but this one is a thing of beauty. 

I had another look at the Clippers, by comparison they are homely beasts!  These Avions are rare.  In two years of watching CL, this is only the second one I've seen for sale.  I want an old school RV.  Something a shade tree mechanic can fix with a hammer & a screwdriver, so to speak.  No power locks, no computers, & no GPS.  Simple/dependable.

BTW, the Mopar engine is what's under the hood of the Clippers, too.  I have a light foot.

Learning to read between the lines of a CL ad is an art, I see that now.  Thanks for all your observation, everyone.

Charlotte
shy.gif

Ballenxj said:
These were the two Drag Racers. :p 
medium800.jpg

Are those old Braves?  They have a loyal following still.  Not exactly aerodynamic, are they?  Attitude to spare...
Thanks for posting this pic.  I think...
tongue.gif
Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
Are those old Braves?  They have a loyal following still.  Not exactly aerodynamic, are they?  Attitude to spare...
Thanks for posting this pic.  I think...
tongue.gif
Charlotte

Yes they are both Brave's, and they were about as aerodynamic as a closed garage door. They were a nice size though. If I recall, they were 21 ft.

Just noticed this Avion has FWD.  Would anyone care to explain the implication of that? 
Don't RVs usually have RWD?  Does that mean towing would not be an option? 
RV wise, what does FWD get you?  How does it handle, compared to RWD, in sand, snow, etc...?

huh.gif
Charlotte

^
Yes, FWD means front-wheel drive. Typo or clueless owner...

Ballenxj said:
Yes they are both Brave's, and they were about as aerodynamic as a closed garage door. They were a nice size though. If I recall, they were 21 ft.

Last year I could have bought an '83 Brave for only $500. It needed a lot of 'sweat equity' to say the least. I passed on it because it was only a 360 and that's not enough muscle for a loaded Class A, even a smaller one like a Brave. Dodge quit making the 440 in '78.

Well , it did say new ball joints on the rear.............

I agree it's a nice looking rig.
The second half of the carb kicking in is a growling sound that will become easy to hear.
I had one in my Class A and got 9mpg on a 15,000# rig if I was careful.

rvpopeye said:
I agree it's a nice looking rig.
The second half of the carb kicking in is a growling sound that will become easy to hear.
I had one in my Class A and got 9mpg on a 15,000# rig if I was careful.

Hi Popeye!  (btw, love that "I yam where I yam")

"Growling sound" might be annoying...& 9 mpg would not serve!  Way things are going, with possibility of gas prices over the top in future, I'd better think hard on mpg issue! 

Cheers,
Cha Cha

Dually wheels on that thing.  I've never seen a dual rear axle with front wheel drive.

-- Spiff