I bought a Meanwell RSP-750-15

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll check my voltmeter batteries , Im also going to remove my battery 
cables from the Meanwell and check its output to make sure its still were I dialed it to .
I was pretty confused when I saw the readings.
I'm using this voltmeter.

Decided to wait on the tide and wind.

My electronics guy is not able to open the meanwell PDF but asked if there is also a current trimpot, and recommended hooking the voltage sense leads up.

Looks like this power supply was meant to be controlled by a computer and perhaps requires these external inputs absolutely require they be attached to something.

When my clampmeter batteries get low, it will not read resistance, voltage can be off by 20% and current readings off by 60% or more. I've had many a head scratching when readings were well outside expectations, and new AAA alkaline batteries were the cure to my anxiety at seeing bizarre readings. Cannot use Nimh or Nicad in my clampmeter, has to be disposable alkaline AAA's

I ignored the fewer extra capabilities of my 500 watt model and have no issues, but this 750 watt model is more elaborate in capability and design, which i was unaware of when I brought up the possibility of using it as a fixed voltage manual battery charger force feeding batteries as fast as possible on a generator.

if I get funny readings that don't seem right I always check the meter on a known source. highdesertranger

1:00pm    11.9volts  20 amps
1:05pm    11.7volts  25 amps
1:10pm    11.7volts  30 amps
1:15pm    11.7volts  35 amps
1:20pm    11.7volts  40 amps
1:25pm    11.7volts  45 amps
1:30pm    11.7volts  50 amps
Shut down everything
I can say the Powermaxes voltmeter read 11.7 volts as well before I replaced it with the Meanwell

I thought my amp reading was supposed to start out like 60 amps until I reach 14.8volts , my readings aren't doing that , it took me a half hour just to get to 50 amps .

I just noticed that the picture of the voltmeter I posted has the (need a new battery indicator lit up).
I'll try that next
Also I noticed that the Meanwells led lights up red when I power it up , not green , I don't know if that's normal
It does briefly flash green when shutting it down

Ok , I got new batteries in my voltmeter , Dialed meanwell voltage to
 14.8 vlots with no battery cables attached .
Powered up Meanwell and l.e.d light lit up green , I measured the 
Meanwells output but only 11.99 volts .  12 amps.
The readings didn't seem right so I shut it down

These readins are bizarre. if 50 amps are flowing to the batteries, then voltage on them has to be rising, not falling.

Can you test this meter on other devices and see if it reads correctly, voltage, and amp draw wise?
What is the resting voltage of these batteries?

Meter set to DC amps, clamped over only one DC output cable, right?

If your meter is actually reading correctly I think the next step would be feeding voltage to the voltage sense lines, and of course you have shorted pins 5 and 6 since the external voltage manipulation function is not being used?

The voltage sense leads should be twisted. Like Zipwire in a drill to the same length as the battery cables. Perhaps without the sense leads attached and not seeing any difference it gets confused.

Your clampmeter has the DC zero button, but I see no differentiation between DC and AC amps, perhaps it chooses automatically.
Many clampmeters do not read DC amps, only AC. It will still display something trying to read DC amps whilst set on AC amps , but obviously will be inaccurate.

Try it over the white or black Input AC input wires if yo ucan get the clamp around a single wire easily enough. Should not read more than 10 amps AC if it were actually at max output.

Ok , I started playing around with that Boondocker and I got it to where I dialed in 14.8 volts with the battery cables disconnected , , then I tryed to charge with it and the readings were simular to the Meanwells , meaning my voltage stayed the same but the amps were dropping

I've never seen voltage drop when a battery charges other than my brief voltage Yoyo on initially applying 40 amps.

Your results make no sense to me. At least with the powermax amps begin and taper as expected with time.

That dropping voltage makes no sense though.

I am not seeing any scenario where this would occur.

@ Sternwake 
I'm working on answering your questions , getting the answers

@Sterwake
I have the Meanwell PDF!
Current trim pot? Dont see one.
The Meanwell comes with pins 5 and 6 shorted and I left them that way.
Yes , clamp on meter set to Dc over one wire.
Volt and amp meter seems to check out , Ill see if I can find another to make sure.
All let the batteries rest and get back to you with batteries resting voltage.

SternWake said:
I've never seen voltage drop when a battery charges other than my brief voltage Yoyo on initially applying 40 amps.

Your results make no sense to me.  At least with the powermax amps begin and taper as expected with time.

That dropping voltage makes no sense though.

I am not seeing any scenario where this would occur.

I noticed that the output on my old Honda has been going down hill lately , I used my old Honda when powering the Meanwell , when I took the Powermaxes readings it was beng powered from my back up generator , a brand new Honda 2000i .
I'll redo the Meanwells readings tomorrow powering it from my new Honda and see if anything gets better

well if both powermax and Meanwell are behaving in the same odd manner perhaps.

Could still be your meter.

I would not think a shorted battery cell would make batteries behave this particular way, Usually they would appear to charge mostly normally on a manual charger, but then fall to 10.5 to 10.7 volts shortly after removing from charging source

I'm still trying to figure this weird behavior. My electronics guru was finally able to open the meanwell PDF. Some of his thoughts:

I have to wonder if his battery has a shorted cell? Does he have a hydrometer? That would certainly cause a sustained stubborn low voltage, and as the battery heats up it could draw plenty of current in a kind of avalanche mode as it heated further and further. Could substantially low electrolyte levels exposing the tops of the plates do this as well? What do you think; do those make sense to you as a possibilty?

Then too, if he didn't install the sense jumpers, there's no telling how the power supply regulation circuit would react. A remote sensing power supply is in many ways a servo system; a small signal change can create large brute force changes, and swing them around in real time...

I'm still favoring his "playing" with the current limit trimpot... it does go down to 40% from what I could read.

BTW, I did get that document to open; I had to launch a separate acrobat reader. For some reason my browser doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

The voltage and current "TTL" inputs appear to me to be linear! That means that you'd have infinite resolution, simply by applying plain old DC voltages between 0 and 5.5 volts. That's pretty darn cool.

It would prevent the need to go interfering with the voltage regulator servo circuit by replacing the trim pot, and potentially having it go into open loop gain or oscillation if something went wrong with your replacement pot, wiring, or voltage source.

Any little cheap 5 volt variable regulator would work for this; you'd just want to install an industrial pot like yours in place of the original trim pot, so you'd have numerous trouble-free adjustment cycles at your disposal.

I have to admit, were I to buy a Meanwell, that sounds like a pretty attractive option!

I know there is no current trim pot provided but the current can be controlled by applying 0 to 5.5 volts to the right pins on that 14 pin connector.

Had i known the 750 watt model were not a ssimply to use as the my 500 watt model i would never have suggested it, but want to help get this thing producing at least 50 amps for you when you fire the genny up, but this looks to require hooking up the voltage sense leads at the minimum.

As for the electrolyte levels , , the level is right were they were when they were brand new , about a 1/4" over the plates.
Your guy gave alot of info , like about using the 5 volt regulators to control voltage or current by reguator and external pot , I'm not saying I understand all this yet but its coming around.
I'll test the Meanwell again tonight( with my new Honda) and I'll also get the batterys voltage after they've been rested

12.04 volt at house battery terminals  (at rest )
11.09 volts at Boondocker volt meter (battery at rest)

I took some voltage and current measurements under my hood to test my meter , Fusible link by the startng battery read 30 amps ,,, the 4 gage positive wire that runs from my starting battery to my house battery read 43amps at idle
Read 13.5 or 14 volts dont remember ,,,,at the battery idling.
So I think my volt meter working.

I did the Meanwell test over using my new generator but nothing changed , my old generator is on its way out , I ran it ragged for many years .

I'll look into testing my batteries next

Mobilesport said:
12.04 volt at house battery terminals  (at rest )
11.09 volts at Boondocker volt meter (battery at rest)

Where are you hooking up the charger? Try directly wiring it to the batteries and checking the voltages at the battery terminals.