Hurricane Matthew. East coast possibility

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RossCoe said:
Making landfall in Hilton Head.  My house has a big fat X on it!!  Hope insurance isn't a total disaster.  I lived thru Sandy in NJ and my daughter was going to college on Staten Island.  It devastated parts of both those states.  I have a healthy respect for water and destructive forces of hurricanes!

Yep the eyewall has Been right on top of HH for 45 minutes, and looks like it has stalled there.  The center of circulation is still offshore but the strongest part of the Eyewall is on HH.

The water levels at port Fort Pulaski, GA, just outside Savannah, broke records.

Hope your property is OK,  RossCoe

Thanks. It's built to newer codes in that it is raised with a water break away paneled garage. Hopefully the storm surge will stay under the floor joists of the main floor. Unfortunately we have another older home that we have had with a good friend that is on the ground, that would have been purchased by the present renters next year as part of a 5 year rental deal. Doubt they will be buying it now!!! Hubby is changing his mind about retiring there even as I type this!! But we are fortunate in that it is not our home and we won't be losing everything we have worked for all our lives. It's just a house that can be rebuilt. There will be people who will be losing everything. :(

The newer house has been rented to a mom and her son for the last 4 months, and we have a 3 year lease. I hope they can return to the house to live after all this is over.

From the jeff masters wunderblog

Hey guys, from Hilton Head. Some early NON CONFIRMED reports from Hilton Head.
1. Harbor Town marina docks have broken loose
2. waste deep water in parking lot of palmetto bay
3. power out to most of island and bluffton
4. lots of downed trees
5. Cross island area around Pt. Comfort has major flooding

RossCoe - Hope your place is okay, we're still waiting for word on ours in FL.

We just heard that our house is OK. We have a large tree down in our neighbor's driveway and the street is flooded, and most likely our storage room flooded in the garage area, but it is all intact. No trees on it, we still have a roof and everything!!!!

We haven't heard about the older house on the ground. Fingers crossed.

Saw many videos of people who stayed and the island looks like bombs went off. Many Many trees down. Huge ones! lots of flooded streets and parking lots too.

Queen, hope your house survived as well as ours did. Any word on it?

Good luck to all of you in the path.
I just popped up the radar and it looks like Matthew has linked up with the front that has been moving east. Maybe it will push him out away from land and none of that insult to injury looping back crap!

Apparently flooding from rain is pretty bad in North Carolina.

My Coastal S Carolina friends have not responded to texts as of yet.
One evacuated to a location inland which still got over 10 inches of rain.

RossCoe said:
Queen, hope your house survived as well as ours did.  Any word on it?

Saw pics of our docks underwater and the carport in shreds, but no one has been inside yet... fingers crossed it's not full of saltwater.

I left St. Augustine Anastatia Island just before they closed the bridges.

Spent 2 nights in small truck stop in Peery FL.  This had to be one of the quitest truck stops I have ever stayed at.  Only had a light sprinkle from passing storm.

Now back in Saint Augustine.  What a mess.  My buddy lives either in his dodge van or a sail boat he keeps anchored out in the intracoastal waterway came through the storm with only minor damage.

A lot of other boats that broke loose are in woods or parking lots.

My moms house has a tree on it but damage could have been a lot worse and it did not flood.

She has not seen it yet because she bailed out to inland North Carolina.  Will try to attach pic but not used to new phone and it may not be sized correctly.

An update on Hilton Head that had a direct hit by Matthew.

Just found out today that our older house on the ground had a couple inches of water invade it, but the structure is good.  One leaning tree and a couple of missing shingles.  The tenants got back today and are salvaging their things and starting clean up.  

Beaufort county has been declared a disaster area :(  On Hilton Head Island  thousands of trees down, Many water mains and sewer drains broken- can't be fixed till the downed trees are removed.  Water is very low pressure, can't flush toilets or use water except for emergency, must be boiled for 5 minutes to drink or cook.   Power has been restored to most, those still out are because the areas are blocked by trees, and equipment and men can't get in.  10 % of businesses have damage but will reopen, 2 are a total loss.  Not bad for 500 businesses.

Lots of people can't get to their houses due to roads still being blocked.  All the damage was from trees falling on/ into buildings, 1000's of them.- and storm surge flooding structures, and several marinas were destroyed.    Most of the dunes have also been washed away.  Harbor Town was hit the hardest, Golf course was overrun by salt water- Apparently that kills the greens.  The Heritage Classic tournament which brings a large amount of revenue for the town is in question for the spring.  

On the good front- all who stayed were OK.  No loss of life as of yet directly related to the storm.  And things could have been a lot worse if it had come in as a class 3 or 4 storm.  Personally my husband and I are fortunate That our investment properties were spared any serious damage.  

I pray for the people in North Carolina who are experiencing severe flooding due to the large amount of rain, swollen rivers, storm surge inland, and broken dams.

The beauty of being mobile for all you guys here is being able to take your home out of danger.  Maybe one day for me!

Years ago we almost moved to Lumberton. That area has taken a severe hit from the rain runoff causing the river to overflow.

South of the Border is inundated and I-95 is closed from what I understand.

There are many areas getting it worse AFTER the storm has left.

Dave

On our last trip to HHI, My hubby and I found a great pet friendly hotel off of I95 in Lumberton. Sadly it is under water. :( We will be going to HHI Monday to check on our properties and just see the damage first hand for ourselves. Toilets are now OK to flush, but only sporadically as little as possible to maintain water pressure and put less stress on the pumping stations still offline or with broken pipes. The boil water rule has been lifted, and people are rebuilding. We will have to change our route since we usually sail down 95 for a 13 hour or so trip. If anyone knows of any good pet friendly hotels in Charlotte, please post here. Thanks.

I always used Motel 6s because of their pet friendly policy.

The only ones that didn't allow pets were in cities that had specific ordinances against the hotel/motel allowing them. But then that meant that you couldn't find any place that did so the whole town was off limits to me anyways.

Some of the other hotel chains were 'pets allowed but we're going to charge you big time' so I'd avoid them.

Thanks Almost There.  We did the #81 to #77 route from NJ >Pennsy and found a comfort suites that was pet friendly and the same chain as the one from Lumberton.  It was OK. They only charge $15 per pet, and we found in the morning we weren't charged at all.   Not as nice, but clean and comfortable beds and a great hotel staff.  We hit a "whole $&@5load of traffic!!"  accidents, and construction.  A trip from hell and a 13 hour journey that should have taken us 9 hours.  Continued to HHI in the morning and it was incredible the number of trees still down.  Our 1 property on the ground is a total mess and a headache to deal with, but that we must!  We were very fortunate otherwise.  Locals weren't so lucky,  almost 1000 homes damaged.  Weather is beautiful and reminds me of why we love it down here.

Latest posts