Howdy, howdy!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are new to this realm. We have just purchased a travel trailer, and traded our Suburban in for a Chevy 3/4 diesel 4x4. We bought it for getting away from the expensive hotel scene when we go to dog shows, but are also looking at buying land and ultimately going off grid. The community that all of you describe sounds wonderful. My husband is 67 and still working, and I have become our official Akita nanny, but have a background as a chiropractor and classical musician turned wanna be fiddler.

We have been loving the videos on the Cheap RV Living YouTube channel. We are not sure where this will take us. We are still looking at the possibility of a 1 ton 4x4 and 5th wheel, but we have hardly even begun, yet.

I just wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone.

Cranky

Welcome to the CRVL forums Cranky Old Hen! You might go through a few different vehicles or dwelling units before finding what works best for you. Everyone has different needs so often the best way to decide is to go try it out. Sounds like you're on your way!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

;) Hello and welcome. When I feel cranky, I go to a chiropractor. It helps. No joke.  :rolleyes:

Hi there!

Hope you like the RV life. My mother took her RV to dog shows all over the U.S. for many years, as well as her little Toyota hatchback with two dog cages crammed in the back. It was a joy for her and my father to go around the U.S., especially for dog-related reasons, my mother's main passion in life besides hubby.

With the RV, they could park as close to the trial area as possible, which helped a lot as my father got more infirm and long or tricky walks got to be a problem. Plus, he slept more as he got older, so it was great for him to be able to go back to the RV and nap for as long as necessary while my mother did her dog thing. And they could keep dogs that might be going into heat away from the other dogs at the trials, so they wouldn't get too distracted. Lots of advantages to mixing RV life with the dog life.

They had a great time; hope you do too!

Dingfelder said:
Hi there!  

Hope you like the RV life.  My mother took her RV to dog shows all over the U.S. for many years, as well as her little Toyota hatchback with two dog cages crammed in the back.  It was a joy for her and my father to go around the U.S., especially for dog-related reasons, my mother's main passion in life besides hubby.

With the RV, they could park as close to the trial area as possible, which helped a lot as my father got more infirm and long or tricky walks got to be a problem. Plus, he slept more as he got older, so it was great for him to be able to go back to the RV and nap for as long as necessary while my mother did her dog thing.  And they could keep dogs that might be going into heat away from the other dogs at the trials, so they wouldn't get too distracted.  Lots of advantages to mixing RV life with the dog life.

They had a great time; hope you do too!

I have been enjoying the heck outta the Cheap RV Living videos. I suspect it is some vicarious living I am guilty of. I think we would love doing this, but my husband is still working, and has to resolve a tough alimony payment before we can do too much. 

We purchased a Suburban about 1 1/2 years ago when we started showing our young Akita boy, then we added a 9 week old puppy girl last September, and drove from our home in San Antonio (a month later) back out to Santa Fe to pick up her sister. Staying in hotels has been expensive with three dogs, and we were absolutely stuffed to the gills when we had the Suburban packed, so we purchased a travel trailer, then turned around and traded the Suburban in for a Chevy 3/4 ton diesel 4x4. We are realizing that we may continue to make big changes for a time until we find what works for us. Now, we are wondering if we would be better off with a 1 ton dually, lol! 

We have yet to actually use all this. I came down with sepsis and pneumonia so I am in recovery mode, but doing quite well. There are more shows coming up, so we will strike out again with the new truck and trailer. 

We are prone to taking road trips together. We always have lots of fun. Our Akita kids go with us. They are very good travelers. I would love to just hit the road and follow our noses. It could happen.

Cranky

...I think I replied with a quote from your comment...I was trying to include a response with that...

Anyyywayyy, hey fellow Texan!
I just wanna follow my nose too.
Maybe I’ll meet y’all on the road somewhere!

Enda said:
...I think I replied with a quote from your comment...I was trying to include a response with that...

Anyyywayyy, hey fellow Texan!
I just wanna follow my nose too.
Maybe I’ll meet y’all on the road somewhere!

Hi there, Enda! Great to meet a fellow Texan. I have only been here 3 years. I am originally from Santa Cruz, CA, via Washington, Alaska, and Virginia. I spent 15 years in Alaska...from one extreme to another, lol. :)