how we secured the rear of my chevy express

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegregg

Reaction score
my friend helped me out a lot... ihe's able to work a lot with metal, wood,... i'm not that handy that way...

i have a chevy express, no windows in the cargo area, and i put in a bulkhead partition for security. but personally, i guess i'm worried about people busting in to the cargo area with it's expensive fishing equipment, solar controller, solar panels, lithium battery, etc... maybe i worry too much, but that's how i am.

so we did this (see pics). plywood fixed to block the rear windows. i'll paint the outside plywood white, to 'blend in.' they are held by metal studs inserted through holes drilled into the rear doors. then, to protect the rear doors from being pried open, an eye bolt was fixed to a metal plate, bolted to the door that opens first. then strapped with a ratcheting strap to a metal pipe, currently just attached to the floor of the van via the attachment rings on the floor. it works... not the prettiest, but whatever.

it'll be pretty hard to get in that door, yet i can unloosen the strap relatively easily, should i need to get out that door. 

any thoughts?

DSC02804.JPG

DSC02803.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02804.JPG
    DSC02804.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02803.JPG
    DSC02803.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 26
Most professionals are using battery powered tools now a days, just keeping what is in the van covered or out of sight is probably as good as you can do.

Don't know where you live and park. Being secure and feeling secure are different things.
Do keep in mind, anyone that wants into a vehicle can open a locked driver or passenger door with a Slim-Jim in 5 seconds.

Personally I'd look for other places to park and /or get a small yappy dog.

just my 2¢

If you have a fire in the forward area of the van how do you plan to get out?

Alaska has high crime, especially theft. Our primary deterrences are a large firearm & an insanely territorial terrier/beardog cross.