How to determine percentage of charge remaining in battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipaaron

Reaction score
I have an MPPT controller with a display that shows a battery icon several horizontal lines inside the battery icon that represents the batteries remaining charge. There is no percentage number. However, what's getting me is after not much usage the icon shows the battery about depleted with maybe one or two bars showing with a voltage in the range of 12.3v. What's also weird is if I stop using my power and let the solar do it's thing it charges up to 13v+ in an hour or so.

I'm not trusting the readout. What would be another method of determining a rough idea of my battery charge remaining? Can you guesstimate from voltage alone?

phillipaaron said:
I have an MPPT controller with a display that shows a battery icon several horizontal lines inside the battery icon that represents the batteries remaining charge. There is no percentage number. However, what's getting me is after not much usage the icon shows the battery about depleted with maybe one or two bars showing with a voltage in the range of 12.3v. What's also weird is if I stop using my power and let the solar do it's thing it charges up to 13v+ in an hour or so.

I'm not trusting the readout. What would be another method of determining a rough idea of my battery charge remaining? Can you guesstimate from voltage alone?

Good call on not trusting that readout.

The most accurate way to know the state of charge is to use a battery monitor that uses a shunt to actually count amps into and out of the battery.  The TriMetric battery monitor is one of the more popular.

Check voltage using a voltmeter.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 21
Tomcor said:
Check voltage using a voltmeter.

Unfortunately, that's only considered accurate if the battery has been rested for a number of hours - no input from solar panels, nothing going out to a refrigerator or something like that.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Unfortunately, that's only considered accurate if the battery has been rested for a number of hours - no input from solar panels, nothing going out to a refrigerator or something like that.

I see. Is it good enough to get a ball park idea? I'm going to get a proper monitor but until then a general idea is better than what I got.

How much the voltage will sag on any given battery will also be different as it ages, and of course the size of the load.

Voltage based guesses at states of charge can be hideously inaccurate.

One can develop an idea at state of charge when they know for sire the battery is full, and then when discharging itin normal use, watching the voltmeter sag.  These voltage trends and tendencies can allow one to get close enough with some practice, but as the battery ages the voltage sag will be worse, when it needs a EQ charge, it will be worse. when the battery is colder, it will be worse, the bigger the load, the worse the voltage sag will be.

The trimetric and other shunt based amp hour counting battery monitors are not 100% accurate either, but they are generally close enough as long as one occasionally rezeroes it when it is known the batteries re full, such as after an Equalization, and also reduces the total battery capacity in the meter, as the battery ages.

Without performing a true capacity test one is basically guessing how much capacity the battery has lost, but the % remaining read out screens can get wildly inaccurate after dozens of cycles without a full recharge.

Mainesail has good writeups on installing battery monitors and properly programming them, and they re not for the faint of heart.

So my recommendation is if one really wants to know an accurate State of charge, they need such a meter like a victron or trimetric, but they must view it with suspicion the farther it gets from the last time it was rezeroed.  Doing this also requires knowing when the batteries are indeed full, and getting the batteries to full requires an Ammeter AND or a hydrometer, and of course a charging source capable of maintaining Absorption voltage until specific gravity rises to its maximum baseline of 1.275+.  An Equalization charge might be required to get the specific gravity to the maximum and it is even harder to find a charger which can bring a battery to 16 volts and hold it there until specific gravity, compensated for rising electrolyte temperature, no longer rises.

If one can do these things, and does perform them regularly, they will get extremely good cycle life from the battery, especially if they treat the battery like this from new.  Usually only when the battery performance has degraded does the user try and do a hail mary recharge, but the lead  sulfate, likely has already hardened, never to redissolve back into the electrolyte, and obscuring the plate surface area where the chemical reaction is to take place.

The more often the battery is indeed returned to a true full charge, the less often the Equalization hail mary recharge will be required, but an EQ on flooded batteries should be considered necessary every so many cycles, whether it be 30 60 or 180.

The Hydrometer is the flooded battery polygraph as to state of charge.  1.275 readings on all cells are not however an indicator of capacity remaining, or battery health, only that the batteery is fully charged.

And some batteries, especially those sold for northern climates can have specific gravity at 1.310, so establishing a fully charged baseline specific gravity is fairly important when the battery is new, but with a prolonged EQ charge one can figure out the maximum, but they must be there to check SG every 15 to 30 minutes and stop the EQ when battery temperature starts approaching 120F, or just starts rising quickly.

i have a seriously capacity compromised battery whose cells I can get upto 1.275+, but its performance is so miserable during discharge I could not really keep cycling it in my Van.  it also takes forever to recharge fully , wasting a lot of electricity heating up.

An Ammeter along with a Voltmeter can really help one to learn state of charge.

When a 100AH flooded battery can only accept 2 to 3 amps at 14.4 to 14.8 volts, it is in the 99% range
When a 100Ah AGM battery can only accept 0.5 amps at 14.4 to 14.7v, it is in the 99.5% range.

Good luck getting an average  smart charger to hold absorption voltage for long enough for amps to taper to these levels.  They won't, especially on a hard working van dweller battery.  One must trick smart chargers.  load the battery ( lights/blower motor. Inverter powering microwave, ect....until battery  voltage sags below 12.6v, then restart charger, then remove load.

lather rinse repeat until specific gravity no longer rises.  It might never get to 1.275+ without 16 volts if the battery is really punch drunk from chronic undercharging.

Usually the tools which can bring a battery upto and hold 16v, can also allow the user to not have to perform EQ charges nearly as often to maintain maximum battery capacity.

One needs to reinflate the balloon to its maximum size often, or the balloon's skin gets less flexible and crusty, with tiny pinholes and resists future attempts to reach full charge, and gets more petulant each time.

Hydrometer, Ammeter and a voltmeter.  With these 3 tools, you can see how well, or more likely how poorly, any given charging source is performing its main task.  When voltage prematurely drops to the mid to low 13s when the battery wanted 2 more hours at 14.4v, this is like battery teasing.  

Battery blueballs.

Have a heart, hold absorption voltage for long enough to allow your battery the much needed happy ending.

While Stern is absolutely right when talking about flooded lead acid batteries, let's note that you CANNOT use a hydrometer on AGM or other sealed batteries.  Odyssey specifies the use of a voltmeter to determine state of charge on their batteries.

The Midnite Classic solar MPPT controllers come with a Whizbang Jr. device to read a shunt (you have to buy the 500 amps shunt somewhere but it is cheap).  This is what we use to fairly accurately determine state of charge in our bank.   Everything flows through the shunt, so you know how much you have taken out and how much you put in.   As Stern said, it is not 100% accurate, but pretty good.

Very nice to glance at the display in the morning and see that your fridge and laptop use has dropped the battery from 98% to 89% overnight.  Gives you a good feeling to know what you can spend with your amp-hours.

My blue sky SB2512i can utilize the IPN pro remote, which in addition to allowing one to change voltages and durations to fit different battery types, is also a battery monitor.

It has been a wonderful learning tool.

Nothing quite like pressing a button, seeing voltage/ amperage, AH removed and a % remaining.

I usually use the AH from full rather than % remaining as the percentage screen does not take into account how much capacity the battery has lost since it was put into service, and if one reduces the total capacity, one is basically guessing at the amount of capacity loss to the nearest 10 AH.

Being able to see the voltage under a certaini load, with a certain number of AH removed is a great way of judging how the battery is performing, and how different variables of the recharge affected performance during the next discharge.

I recently put a temp sensor on the side of my battery and found the battery gets warmer than expected when charging( especially high amp alternator charging) and maintains much more of its temperature during discharge than I expected. For example last night it was still 68.5f at 2AM when the metal around it was 61f. Temperature greatly affects battery capacity, and is another variable to account for when judging performance during discharge, if one cares to do so.

Here are links to Mainesail's articles on battery monitors:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_monitor

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/programming_a_battery_monitor

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/smart_gauge

How quickly the battery recharges leads me to think the problem is the battery. It doesn't take long to ruin a new battery if you drain it too much and leave it uncharged for even a day. Your battery may have lost it's capacity or have an internal short that causes it to go dead sooner. The battery can be tested at a shop usually for free because if it is bad they hope you will buy one from them. If you want to test it yourself first, for capacity, charge it up and put a known heavy load on it and see how long it takes for the voltage to significantly drop. To check for an internal short, charge it, let it rest for half a day, measure the voltage. Next day, (without using it in between), measure the voltage again. If it is significantly lower, (12.8 day one, 12.4 day two), you probably have a bad battery and may want to have the battery put on an analyzer. The new electronic analyzers can detect individual bad cells. I don't know how they do a load test because they do not put it under a heavy load, but somehow the wizbang computer chip in the tester knows. Here is one from Amazon, it is inexpensive but it gets good reviews. https://smile.amazon.com/DROK-Batte...0?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1465760541&sr=1-10