How to deal with mice in the RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S.

Reaction score
Hi All<br><br>I have been an RV owner since 2004 and every year I have to deal with mice getting in and digging around in the insulation or chewing up labels on cans and pooping the place up...not to mention peeping the place up but that's a different story. The problem was worse when the RV stayed out in the cattle pasture but I got upgraded to an unheated garage with a cement floor in 2009! Life is good! &nbsp;<br>That move got me some distance from the copper-heads, which I am very grateful!<br><br>I have tried snap traps but since I'm not a full timer there was only limited success. For the past few years I've been using Just-One-Bite place packs, they work pretty good &nbsp;and very easy to toss a couple...one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen area when I leave...but I have several issues.<br><br>What do the mice do with the yellow packs? I think they carry the pellets into the remote parts of the RV. I fear into the heating ducts which means I may be d-CON-ing myself when I turn on the heat in winter using the floor vents. Usually all the pellets are gone from the pack once they open a pack. So the mouse has some time to move all the pellets before he eats one...Next issue...What happens to the dead mice? Do I have a pile of dead mice in some small area under the floor board or somewhere? I have some old farm cats in the area and they don't seem to have any ill effects. I&nbsp;never&nbsp;find any dead mice but I know they are getting into the place packs. The RV is kept in a unheated garage so there is no weather problems but I do get the mud-dobber hornets and they make those dried mud nests all over the place. These can be scraped off pretty easy and the mud-dobbers don't really sting. The RV has a little bit of a funky smell but it's not bad and you get use to it after a few hours but next time you come back it's&nbsp;noticeable. I should take the cover off the furnace in-take vent and see what's in there!<br><br>So what's the best way to deal with mice in the RV?<br>A) &nbsp; d-CON place packs<br>B) &nbsp;&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 11.428571701049805px;">peppermint oil on cotton balls</span><br>C) &nbsp;&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 11.428571701049805px;">several 5 gal pails on the floor with bait -livetrap them</span><br>D) &nbsp;&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 11.428571701049805px;">Sticky traps</span><br><br>thanks!<br><br>PS: I have used the place packs in a garage attic on a house with rats and "most" of the time the toxic rats would leave the house and go out in the yard! You'd see them in broad daylight and they would't run because they were toxic.

peppermint oil on cotton balls .... the mice hate it and it leaves the rv smelling good... I use this in my motorhome that I leave at my fireworks stand.... I only go there twice a year... so the rest of the time it needs something to keep the critters at bay.....<br><br>I generally leave it with <br>mothballs under it and in the bays.....snakes<br>Peppermint oil on cotton....mice<br>dryer sheets all over the coach.....spiders<br><br>and a couple of boxes of decon....just for back up<br><br><br>

Sticky traps works great if they are already there and you need rid of them. By their very nature, you know if they're working. Plus they can't get away and die inside the wall or something.

&nbsp;I put D-Con in the compartments.&nbsp; Never a problem.

i like ice maiden's ideas won't hurt my dog (scout).&nbsp; scout&nbsp;takes care of the rodents for me, i have to deal with wood rats/pack rats mainly.&nbsp; if one gets in the truck he will not stop until its gone one way or another.&nbsp; last summer one got in the truck he was at it all night chasing it here and there finally there was allot of commotion&nbsp;then my dog finally&nbsp;went to sleep next morning i found mr. wood by my front tire he met his maker.&nbsp; extra treat for scout that morning.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Get a cat. I find using poison, can attract the mice. Sure it kills them, some of them will die in the walls or other hard to get to places. No food source no mice.

I soak beans and smoked a rattler in my campfire,,, net result: tossed it out, $1.19 learning experience

place several 5 gal pails on the floor with a small board/stick leaning on the lip of the pail for a mouse ramp. place peanut butter in the inside bottom of the pail. they fall in and most can not hop out. check frequently, cover and release or drown with water if that's your inclination. <br><br>Adding those sticky traps inside the bottom of the pail greatly discourages hopping out :)

Lonfu that is too much!!!!!!!!!!!!! &nbsp;Great Photo! Can't miss the Triangle head...<br><br>The copperheads here are not bold enough to claim a place at the breakfast table! IMO copperheads scurry away in daylight and hold their ground only at night (when ya can't see 'em) or when cornered.<br>those diamondbacks are&nbsp;lethal! that beig said...i don't hate all snakes or snakes are not kill on sight with me...if they're out in the woods that's fine