How to charge hand tool batteries in van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSHandyman said:
So am I correct that I just use a 500W 12V DC to 120V inverter that plugs into the 12v outlet?

Advise here is all over the map, so I understand the confusion. 

Your 300 (or 500) watt inverter needs to be hard wired to the battery...a cigarette lighter style plug will not be sufficient if that inverter begins to pull more than about 10-15 amps.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I was confused what you meant until I looked at the photo of the 500W inverter that I previously posted and it shows clearly that the 500Watts only comes from connecting the jumper cables to the car battery and 100Watts after connecting to the cigarette lighter....Newbie is learning.

:idea: If i were to replace the claw connectors of the jumper cables with ring connectors...could I then connect this 500W inverter to the battery permanently so I can charge my 275W of tool batteries???

SSHandyman said:
:idea: If i were to replace the claw connectors of the jumper cables with ring connectors...could I then connect this 500W inverter to the battery permanently so I can charge my 275W of tool batteries???

Yes. That will give much better results. Early in this thread I stated that the inverter of the size you require, needs to be hardwired. You should also install an inline fuse.

Hard wired as close to the power as possible with a fuse or breaker matching max input in the inverter.

Renegy’s inverters have internal over input protection but I run a fuse for double protection.

tx2sturgis said:
Yes. That will give much better results. Early in this thread I stated that the inverter of the size you require, needs to be hardwired. You should also install an inline fuse.

But this mobile inverter is not a pure sine wave type. Is that an issue?  Should I only considered the pure sine wave? I know some have suggested it.

SSHandyman said:
But this mobile inverter is not a pure sine wave type. Is that an issue?  Should I only considered the pure sine wave? I know some have suggested it.

I'm wondering if we have not been clear on this point. Between myself and others, we have stated that you should buy a PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER at least 7 or 8 times in this thread.

So yes, we are saying for your use, a >>>PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER<<< is the recommended solution.

If you ignore this advise, and go with a cheap modified sine wave inverter, it might work, or it might damage your tool chargers, it just depends on how 'sensitive' they are in regards to a square wave input.

Eeeasy partn'r.  ;)  I read votes for sine wave and when I talk about the non-sine wave mobile inverter that I posted a picture of, you and others say that it can be used with no mention that it could damage anything.  Also, the pure sine wave advise was mostly in the context of using it with a large inverter to power up a miter saw. Since I decided to scrap the idea of powering tools and go with only charging tool batteries, I wasn't sure if I could do with a modified. So, yes, things are all over the map here. But, I think I got the info I need.

Thank you to all of the posters who took the time to spread their wealth of knowledge to me.

Much appreciated.

SSHandyman said:
Eeeasy partn'r.  ;)  I read votes for sine wave and when I talk about the non-sine wave mobile inverter that I posted a picture of, you and others say that it can be used with no mention that it could damage anything.  

I never said you can or should use a cheap modified sine wave inverter for this job. Others may have, but I did not.

It may sound like I was picking on you...I wasn't, but after myself and others mentioned in several posts that a pure sine wave inverter is the better choice, (and will prevent damage to your chargers) and then you seemed to ignore or forget this advice in nearly every subsequent post.

Pure sine wave inverters were mentioned as the preferred option in these posts above:

and

I finally emphasized it for visual clarity, not to indicate yelling.

Good luck sir, let us know how it works out for you.

And just a reminder that no inverter at all will be most efficient, 12V chargers being commonly available from most mfg, don't think the actual batteries being charged was mentioned.

Plus, the AH needed while no charge source active will determine how it will (or won't) work without adding a House battery.

At least carry - and keep charged - a lithium jumpstarter!

tx2sturgis said:
I never said you can or should use a cheap modified sine wave inverter for this job. Others may have, but I did not.

It may sound like I was picking on you...I wasn't, but after myself and others mentioned in several posts that a pure sine wave inverter is the better choice, (and will prevent damage to your chargers) and then you seemed to ignore or forget this advice in nearly every subsequent post.

Pure sine wave inverters were mentioned as the preferred option in these posts above:

and

I finally emphasized it for visual clarity, not to indicate yelling.

Good luck sir, let us know how it works out for you.

Seriously!? I never said you said I SHOULD use it.  But when asked about the mobile inverter, you and at least one other said that i just need to hard wire it. So I would infer from that that it could be acceptable. I don't recall anyone emphasizing NO, DON'T USE THAT MOBILE INVERTER AS IT WOULD RUIN SOMETHING!!!!!! lol Now I'm not going to reread each and every post you listed so I can win this argument and prove my point. I have more important things to do. Suffice it to say, I appreciate the help regardless of the miscommunication and any confusion on my part.

Peace...and out! :)

Oneleggedcowboy said:
Beware, modified sine wave inverters eat battery chargers!
First mention, pretty categorical.

As long as you understood "eat" = destroy.

SSHandyman said:
 Now I'm not going to reread each and every post you listed so I can win this argument and prove my point. 

It's not an argument, I'm trying to help you. 

Oh well...

:dodgy:

Seriously? So I miss a post and I'm being taken to task for it?  I am new here so I hope this attitude isn't the prevalent one on this site. I suspect campers and RVers are more easy going than that so I will ignore the comments from the few.

Once again, I thank everyone for their advise and expertise. I indeed learned something and it has been much appreciated.

SSHandyman said:
...when I talk about the non-sine wave mobile inverter that I posted a picture of, you and others say that it can be used with no mention that it could damage anything.

I want to encourage and help you by suggesting the information really was available in the thread.   Examples off the top of my head:

The "inverter 101" link I posted in comment 29 discusses the possibility of damage to electronics from MSW.

oneleggedcowboy's warning in comment 11 is straightforward:  "Beware, modified sine wave inverters eat battery chargers!"

Learning new stuff puts one in a vulnerable position.  Take consolation in the fact that most of us are continually learning from each other here. We are all Grasshoppers.

Thanks for the encouragement. :dodgy:

However...most of the posts that suggested pure didn't specifically warn against modified. To a newbie, that's important. Also, several were in the context of powering tools - instead of charging batteries using a small wattage inverter. So when the conversation shifted to small mobile inverters, it should be understandable that I might revisit the question of pure vs modified in that context and for clarity. 
I indeed counted three out of 50+ posts that specifically warned about modified in a general sense. Show mercy. I implore you! :rolleyes:

So has the beating from the peanut gallery ended? I...wish...to...live!

I charge my milwakie battery tools with a converter that is not pure sine wave and it has worked so far no issues with damaging the charger. It is one of those speed chargers, batteries are charged in a very short period of time. I also run my DVD player on a a simple converter and have been doing so for many years as well as charging my phone and laptop, I used to run my tv off it as well. I am not sure they had pure sine wave converters when I bought mine.

A stepped square wave into a Switch Mode front end charger will do no damage. My experience does not include any instances where a modified square wave inverter output has had any negative effect on a battery charger. That experience includes using a modified square wave inverter to charge 36 volt battery packs for portable devices.

Ticklebellly said:
A stepped square wave into a Switch Mode front end charger will do no damage.   My experience does not include any instances where a modified square wave inverter output has had any negative effect on a battery charger.   That experience includes using a modified square wave inverter to charge 36 volt battery packs for portable devices.

I really like that you used the term 'stepped square wave'. That IS what a 'modified sine wave' actually looks like.

Marketing conventions have used the term to provide the illusion that a modified sine wave is some 'new' and 'superior' version of a sine wave. 

But, having said that, chargers will sometimes run a lot warmer on a stepped square wave input. 

Combine that with the hot interior of a work van on a jobsite on a sunny summer afternoon, and the charger, especially rapid chargers, may shut down due to thermal runaway. It MIGHT be damaged, or simply need to cool off for awhile. 

I have used both, and find that the sine wave inverters allow the charger to run cooler, and charge the batteries much quicker.