How to attach.......

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
I have a 12x30 piece of plywood that I need to attach to the small side door. I will be using it as another temporary counter top on the inside.... Not a permanent fixture as it will be jutting into the little bit of space I have managed to keep. I will saw off two different lengths of something  for a leg so I can use this outside when the door is open.

is there a a bracket thingy that will slip together that is low profile so I can keep it securely to the door?

I was thinking I could screw in 2 slats that would keep it in place?

Any suggestions would be great.  I have a piece of stainless I was thinking of covering it with so I can maybe cook there....

Thanks for your comments.

You could also mount piano hinge to attach the top of the plywood to the door and hinged strut that would allow the table to fold flat when not needed. It is a fairly common design for folding counter extensions in RVs.

Build it like a drop leaf table. Bullfrog gave the basics but most people understand a drop leaf table. Two piano hinges, one for the countertop and one vertical for the swing out sideways (from underneath) support. If you don't have the space for the under support, HDR's method works well too. You just have to put up with a cable at the sides which could be a plus.

Thanks for the input!... The brackets hdr listed was what I was hoping for... But I am not paying 40 bux.. I'll have to shop around a bit locally.

I did think about the piano hinge set up but when the shelf is folded up it blocks the whole window and wouldn't stand flush as the door curves.. It is 30 inches long so I can utilize it inside away from curtains and my newly upholstered walls...lol

How am I supposed to make cherries jubilee without setting the walls aflame..lol

I do like the idea of a cable instead of a leg but seems that would put an obstacle in the way of my using it... I'm trying to fashion it for cooking not sure how that would work with a wire in the way... Unless the cable can be close to where the shelf and door connect..

I figured with uneven terrain I could just like up a bit of dirt to make the legs level?...

This is kinda the last item to sort out so I can start test cooking...lol

Everyday I am seeing all the things I could have done better/differently/ more efficiently..lol.

I'm ready for van number.2!

If I can't find those hinges hdr linked to around here... Maybe something like a hole and pin connection?

Years ago when we needed to play a prank on a new helper we would send him to the hardware store for a “sky hook”. They are made out of “unobtainium”! Lol!!! If the table sticks out from the door 30” then yes you need a positive lock connection. A couple of angle brackets bolted to the plywood with a hole drilled for a thumb screw and two nutserts or tapped holes in the door would work. The leg could be an adjustable paint roller pole or two pieces of plastic pipe that one slides inside of the other with a hole drilled for a bolt to hold them at the right height or length if you angle it back to rest on the bottom of the door. A lot depends on how much weight you will put on the table and where. Unless I had positive locked connections (bolts with nuts) I wouldn’t recommend running a propane stove with a two gallon pot full of boiling water on the end of the table. A 12”x30” folding table might be a cheaper better answer.

Legs to the ground don’t work well as the table is mounted to the van and the van is on springs so it changes height every time you get in or out, which is why a cable or angled support attached to the van is so much better.

I didn't even think a 12x30 collapsible table existed..lol.

I agree that I wont be able to have much weight on it... I like the suggestion of 2 pipes sliding.

I looked at telescoping paint poles at hd here... 29 bux!!

A height adjustable 12x30 foldable table would be great! Probably less expensive than the 4x4 plywood piece I bought.

On second thought it doesn't need to be 12x30... And I'm probably making this much more of a task than it should be.... Like most of my build...:/

I've got an old ironing board.. maybe I could whittle down the top a bit..???.lol

It is nice to custom build things to meet ones needs but good materials and hardware can be expensive.

here's some pics of my table,  sorry I don't have any pics of the actual brackets but these will give you an idea of the cables,

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG
you can see that I added a paper towel holder to the upper cable mounts.  the actual table is 24 inches wide by 8 feet long,  it's in two 4 foot pieces and is quite strong.  that Berkey water filter holds 5 gallons and the table handles it no problem.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 12
Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer suggestions and posting links and pictures.

I did see a couple smaller foldable tables.. that may work... Hopefully I'll find a solution this week so I can really start testing  my inside cooking.....

I had saved this pic from a video I saw once. See it you can use this:
side drawer.jpg
There are no hinges or drawer slides.
The shelf/table slides in, under the countertop when not in use. Like a cutting board drawer in a kitchen cabinet.

Attachments

• side drawer.jpg
    side drawer.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 9
bullfrog said:
Years ago when we needed to play a prank on a new helper we would send him to the hardware store for a “sky hook”. They are made out of “unobtainium”! Lol!!! If the table sticks out from the door 30” then yes you need a positive lock connection. A couple of angle brackets bolted to the plywood with a hole drilled for  a thumb screw and two nutserts or tapped holes in the door would work. The leg could be an adjustable paint roller pole or two pieces of plastic pipe that one slides inside of the other with a hole drilled for a bolt to hold them at the right height or length if you angle it back to rest on the bottom of the door. A lot depends on how much weight you will put on the table and where. Unless I had positive locked connections (bolts with nuts) I wouldn’t recommend running a propane stove with a two gallon pot full of boiling water on the end of the table. A 12”x30” folding table might be a cheaper better answer.
Sounds like when I was taking lighting classes, the professor would tell a gullible kid, "Too much light on that curtain over there, go to the prop department ask for a spray can of "Light Off."

By the way, most tables designs strike me as extremely weak. Good forbid you put something heavy on it or stub your toe on it or it will come crashing down. Nightmare if in food preparation, what with hot stuff and sharp edges everywhere. Since you're using this for cooking, I would make it super robust, even with the extra weight or space considerations that might entail. You might be better off with a standard collapsible office table like you would find at Home Depot or the likes. I'm pretty sure I could put a whole lot of weight on the one I got for like 25 bucks. Lightweight and I just tuck it beside my bed when not in use.

Latest posts