How to adhere Velcro tape to glass??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
I added a couple 1“ x 1“ pieces of Velcro to hold the blackout cover in place for the back window in my Sienna minivan. The Velcro adhered to the glass really well until the next day when the blazing sun cooked it and basically turned the 3M sticky back into goo.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any suggestions for how to adhere the two little 1” x 1” Velcro strips to the glass?

Thank you.?

RTV...but you would have to tape it or hold it for a while until it sets well enough to hold.

If RTV isn't something you use much of, you can buy small 1/2 oz. tubes at auto parts stores.

Or maybe Shoe Goo. Not sure if that would resist heat as well.

This stuff?
Permatex Hi-Temp Rtv Silicone Gasket Maker 3.35 Oz. -65 To 500 °f

Great idea and I might already have a tube.

Thank you!

My tube was dried up so I’ll have to order some. Looking online and I can’t seem to find out if that stuff adheres to glass AND the smooth back side of Velcro tape. Anyone know?

Let me try to find the Velcro I have and I'll try some RTV on it for ya. Might take a while to find.

Hey, I found some Velcro and I even have a little project I'm trying it on with the RTV.

It's for holding a temporary interior cover for the side window of my van.

I just put it on but RTV takes 24hrs. to fully cure so I can't test for strength until tomorrow.

The window is exposed to the hot AZ sun so if it holds here, it should work for you.

Just call or e-mail one of the major adhesive manufacturers and ask:  3M, Permatix, et.al.

You are gonna need to look for a two-part epoxy rated for glass...there are several on the market. Just google 'glass epoxy'.

Other adhesives might work...they might not.

is vhb tape overkill (or won't work on glass) for this?

magentawave said:
My tube was dried up so I’ll have to order some. Looking online and I can’t seem to find out if that stuff adheres to glass AND the smooth back side of Velcro tape. Anyone know?

Yes, it will absolutely adhere to glass.  I mounted front and rear cameras with it and it never lets go regardless of the heat.  And you'll need a razor scraper if you ever want to remove it.  The velcro you use should be plain with no adhesive backing.  The kind you would sew in place normally.

Use it sparingly.  Just a thin film.

Epoxy will also work, but not normal epoxy.  The glass can reach 180-200F in the sun and so you need to use high temperature epoxy if you go that route.  Normal epoxy will eventually fail.  If you ever need to remove the epoxy, it can be very difficult.

Great to know, thanks! I ordered a tube on Amazon that will be delivered today.

Thanks for your input, everyone!? (Always such a great forum populated with so many helpful people!)

3M also has a two part system specifically for mounting rear view mirrors which works well also

PeterPiper said:
3M also has a two part system specifically for mounting rear view mirrors which works well also

Which would be the 2-part epoxy for glass I mentioned in post #8.

Once properly bonded, neither heat of day, nor dark of night, will cause it to turn loose!

:p

Here's an update...

Thanks to the guys that suggested I adhere the velcro to my Sienna window glass with Permatex Hi-Temp Rtv Silicone Gasket Maker. I initially ordered it from Amazon but cancelled the order because I was going to Harbor Freight the next day and they carry some stuff like it for half the cost. Anyway, I applied it a couple months ago and it worked great. Thanks!