How old is your van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2010 Ford Transit Connect.  
I don't actually live in it though, just camping trips, so I'm not sure if it counts.  :p

I think about trying to live in it, eventually, but that's a ways off ( a long ways off). 

I love the classics too, I just sold my 73 VW Bus before that I had a 76 VW pop top bus, now I just bought a 1997 Ford conversion van and LOVE it! Much more stealth and easier for my dog and I to be in. Peace!

HarmonicaBruce said:
2014 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 2500 high roof ext 4 cyl, 8k miles
Sick... what's your mpgs in that bad boy?

BigT said:
2010 Ford Transit Connect.  
I don't actually live in it though, just camping trips, so I'm not sure if it counts.  :p

I think about trying to live in it, eventually, but that's a ways off ( a long ways off). 

Every time I see one of those on the road I think... you can't possibly lie down fully in that with the front seats in their normal position. So, you can probably tell me definitively... can you?

2003, 19.5' , Chinook, Triton V10, 77,000 miles

Pic: camping at my favorite private sandy beach, on public lands, on the x River, Oregon. Beach chair in the water, watching the kayaks, rafts, and SUPs go by ~ 
IMAG0924.jpg

nice flailer, I have never been to x river in Oregon, but I have been to y and z. highdesertranger

wagoneer said:
This 2001 E350 7.3 has taken me a looooooong ways. It has a computer and can be chipped

what does that mean, "can be chipped"?
pls explain

I bought a 1998 VW T4 and she now has 290 thousand kilometers on her (180k miles). I put 20k on her within the last 6 months and other than few repairs she runs good taking her down to Italy again this year...she is a bit weaker on climbs though.

Hi highdesertranger

Sorry it took so long to answer , I flew out to Denver and helped my daughter drive back to Mass.

Yes , the State of Mass is that screwed up .
To " By-pass the Legislature " they wrote the law into Motor Vehicle Inspection Contract run by a Private Company . "
I first heard of it at a RV show from friends with Duallys with slide in campers started getting tickets and fines , and No RV plates allowed , because You could take the camper off .

The Law
" If you have a dually, you have no choice. MA has a one sentence clause in their rules, 540CMR2.05-3(b) which states "Any vehicle which has five or more wheels on the ground" must be registered as commercial. This after they excludes campers, motor homes, and a whole list of other things, making it targeted specifically at dual rear wheel pickups. "

Because you have a dually, it has to have commercial plates
Because you have commercial plates you have to have a medical card, safety stuff like fire extinguisher, triangles , a D.O.T. inspection @ $ 129 .

From one of the Many on line discussions of this idiot law on a horse forum
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-446132.html

Aug. 27, 2014
" Two month ago we decided to trade in our dump truck and farm pickup and buy a new dually that will multitask as manure truck, plow truck and general farms chores. One ton.

When the dealership went to register it, they found that since it has more than 4 tires it has to be registered as a commercial vehicle (news to all my horse friends who have duallys)
Doesn't make a difference if we are only using it a personal vehicle, according to the MA DOT, has to go commercial.

Then, they decide we need a DOT number. We do not trailer horses commercially or run a trucking company.

Then, hubby was driving it the other day to the dealership to get the oil changed. Gets stopped and state cop informs him he needs a DOT medical card since it is a commercial vehicle.

Then, they decide since it is in my name (as owner of the farm), I need a medical certificate also (Hubby has a CDL license, I have a regular old Class D) - even if I just need to drive it down the street to the grain store or to pick up sawdust.

Next, hubby is picking up some lumber for work on fencing. Gets stopped and weighed. Turns out the weight listed on the registration is incorrect. I have to go to the registry and wait in line for two hours to correct this. Additionally, it appears I am issued a ticket (and I wasn't even in the vehicle - the ONLY ticket I have ever received in 40 years of driving) for not having a UCF number???

The State of Massachusetts is out of control. Just because I bought a dually, I now am in the possession of a medical card, DOT number and apparently I also need a UCF number! WTF???
In the old days, personal vehicles got exempted. "

Also anyone towing a trailer over 10,001 # , needs a Class A Tractor Trailer Lic. , Rv's are Exempt .

Bandit

1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 with 360 and Auto trans
just getting her ready for the trip to my off grid property 
from Seattle to AZ 
brakes have been causing some issues but hope to be in AZ around mid April
will post pix and vids
Roy

wow bandit I thought kalifornia was messed up. steve a chip is a computer chip you can put in your engine computer to up the performance and blow your head gaskets. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
steve a chip is a computer chip you can put in your engine computer to up the performance and blow your head gaskets. highdesertranger

Lmao!!! A full and complete explanation of what a chip is.... Still laughing!

myke said:
Every time I see one of those on the road I think... you can't possibly lie down fully in that with the front seats in their normal position. So, you can probably tell me definitively... can you?

Not with the passenger seat in the normal position, no, but just tilting the seat forward a little provides enough room for me to point my toes. :p
I installed a 10" leaf that folds up under the foot of the bed where it hits the front seat.  If I want extra space I just slide the seat forward, tilt it, and flip the leaf up.  Doing so increases the bed length from 6' to 6' 10", which is plenty of room.  Generally I don't bother as I find it perfectly comfortable in the shorter position.  

This is the bed in the extended position. 

Like the original poster my van is a 1975. It is for sale now as I went to a larger footprint, as in, bus type foot print.

sisterearth said:
wow it looks pretty roomy in there! Cool set up! Peace!

Thanks, but the picture is deceiving.  It's actually not roomy at all.  The floor area i the back of a Transit Connect is only 6' by 4", but it does have a little extra room to the sides past where the fender wells stick in.  It also has a high-top so there's extra headroom.  
Once I pack my camp toilet, water supply, cooler and bins of food/cloths/gear, there's really no extra room at all.  
Then again, I didn't build this thing to run laps in, I made it to have a comfy, metal-walled, secure place to sleep/hang out, and that's just what I've got!  :)