How old is your van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stevesway said:
Well, I was wanting to keep this as simple and inexpensive as possible. I hadn't thought about the condensation problem.
My idea was to take out the two second row seats if it has them, and then just start adding things from there.
And you are right about some of the wood decor they use is strictly for show. Although, I have seen the ones that have the little cabinets on the upper sides along the roof line. I really wouldn't want to tear out that type of thing. My main concern is being able to somewhat stand up without crouching or stooping a lot. I guess some of the overhead decorating with the lighting would interfere with that.

Stevesway, maybe a separate thread dedicated to helping you figure out what van would be best for you to start with is in order.

A mod would be happy to move the last couple of posts over to there for you.

Stevesway said:
That sounds good to me. I was unsure how to get this started. How do I get this moved?

Pick your section, this one is good. The new thread button is on the upper right of the screen. Once it's opened, PM one of the mods and ask to have this stuff moved.

1983 Chevy p30 Grumman Olson Chevy 350 turbo 400

1991, but the 318 is out of a 1969.

It has a short body, but it gets decent mileage (about 16) and has enough power to get out of the way of people texting and driving.

1993 Chevy Sports Van 20 with 5 year old engine!

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Currently driving:

1986 Dodge Ram 3500,
This is the newest of my 3 camper vans, I also have a 1969 Ford w/ pop top, and a hightop 1974 Chevy.

You got me by a year ;)
70 Ford E300 cargo, 302ci, 3 speed. Between this one and the same year passanger van I lived in them for about 15 years and now it's waiting to get a diesel & 4x4 upgrade. Love those short nose fords, have had three so far.
92 Ford E350, 7.3 IDI, converted shuttle
And my daily driver, . . . my avatar (not a van) ;)

well not a van but my boondocking vehicle is a 1978 chevy 1 ton crew cab dually, with a service bed and a sleeper. highdesertranger

1982 FORD E350 Chassis, 460 ci, C6 transmission, Gear Vendor Under/Overdrive.

Corky

94 extended E350 4x4 with a dumb diesel (last year). Shopping for a fiberglass top to install.

Karl,
Pulls a towed easily.  I got the transvan in trade for some computer work, it had 55k miles on it..  I figure I have about $800 in it for the base I started from.  House is one inch thick honey comb fiberglass, all one piece.  I added the GV from a dead RV I bought for the tires, tanks and oven, didn't even know the GV was in it, till I got it home.

Corky

highdesertranger said:
bdog1, dumb diesels are the best diesels. highdesertranger
Not as efficient as the smart ones but they are bullet proof and rarely die. +1 on the dumb ones!

Can't take those hi $$$ inj. computers and sensors. The very newest batch of diesels actually lost MPG, but they have cat. converters and are environmentally cleaner.

2001 E-350 XLT Ford extended passenger van .... V-10 engine, 90k miles

2006 Charleston 40TS Class A .... Caterpillar C-7, 25k miles, 1997 Jeep Cherokee Towed.

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 15 passenger Maxi. Window Van with a low milage factory 360 cu. in. .
With just one seat left in and a full size air mattress in the back .
I really want to add a " Training Wheels " kit for stability when towing and traveling cross country , but here in Taxachusettes , any vehicle with 5 or more tires on the ground , requires Commercial Plates , a State D.O.T. inspection @ $ 129.00 , and a D.O.T. Medical card .
Bob

This 2001 E350 7.3 has taken me a looooooong ways. It has a computer and can be chipped

wagoneer 7.3 is a great motor but don't put a chip in. I would not chip any diesel, when you do they are running on the edge. you loose what diesels are great for, longevity. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

I understand, actually bought a 300 dollar chip for a F350 not a E350 but i felt funny about the install so i sold it to a friend for 300 dollars. It felt kinda like someone was standing behind me and when I turn around........perhaps your guardian angel??