How often do you clean your Solar panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
I swear I've seen this posted and answered someplace but ain't finding it.

Mine are 10' up and not the easiest thing to get to for cleaning, but necessary to do.
Trimetric will read low if they are being blocked with leaves or other stuff when batts are low in the AM so do have some means of knowing when I should find a ladder.

So speaking to dirt/dust accumulation, anybody use Rainx after they clean ? I remember several years ago when a friend used Rainx every time he washed his car and couldn't understand why he was replacing windshield wipers twice a year. Rainx was eating the rubber.

Anyway, seems like when solar panels are mounted flat something that would help water run-off the panel would be nice.
A Engineer type on another site suggested you clean them twice a year and use deionised water and NOTHING else! A gallon sells on Amazon for $39.48 ... ouch

Thoughts?

I clean my solar panels as needed.  Basically, I keep an eye on the solar output into my controller. If it seems lower than normal in typical sunlight, then I go out and clean them.

Personally, I use a push broom with a scrap undershirt fitted over it.  I spray soak the undershirt with Windex.  That seems to get them clean and keep them clean for quite some time.

Products like RAIN-X work by making the water "more slippery" so dirt slides off more easily.  But it can and will deteriorate rubber and plastics.  Personally, I've never needed to use those types of products on either my solar panels or windshields.  Clean them thoroughly when needed and they'll tend to stay that way longer.

Pollen and dusty conditions every day to twice a week.

Otherwise every 2-4 weeks, inspect weekly.

Sometimes once a day!

But then I have them at ground level so I can do that easily.... :)

akrvbob said:
At least once a year.

You’re kidding, right? In the desert my panels get covered with dust everyday, especially with dune buggies kicking it up everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with Van Man Dave, I never clean mine. The only time they get cleaned is when it rains or snows. My house has been off grid and powered by PV panels for 30 years and I've never cleaned them except for sweeping off the snow during winter. Sure dust has an effect but during the summer they produce so much more than I can use that cleaning them would be useless labor. In the camper I never camp near an ATV trail.

I'm not religious about it because I have enough power even when they're dirty. But I spray it well when I go to a car wash. I also have a sponge-like thing that attaches to a painter pole. I stand in the rear door of the van, pour some water on the panel and shove it around with the sponge-like thing until the water evaporates. I'm in the arid West, so it's mostly just dust.

lol never. unless I need a lot of power for large discharge situations. Even if my systems produce less from a dirty panel, my batteries are full regardless. And I am lazy. I wait till those things are covered in leaves and dirt :D

willprowse said:
lol never. unless I need a lot of power for large discharge situations. Even if my systems produce less from a dirty panel, my batteries are full regardless. And I am lazy. I wait till those things are covered in leaves and dirt :D

In the desert of Ehrenberg my panels get coated with dust/dirt in no time at all. Especially with all the dune buggies ripping around. It’s gotta be hard for the sun to get through with all that coating them. But, like I tell so many, you are the expert Will Prowse. Oh, btw, what is a healthy number for my batteries to be at? I have 2 6volt golf carts and freak out if they ever drop below 12. When the inverter is on it reads .5 lower than what it actually is, or that’s what it seams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts