How much solar do I need?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the tool before I bought the panels.  I too can take them apart with my bare hands.  Thumb and forefinger on the two little tabs , squeeze and pull apart.  I will hang onto the tool for that one time my fingers don't work just right :huh:

This branch connector will let you combine another panel with your current MC4s:
http://amzn.to/1XQsKvv

But you'll still have the same problem with too small a controller. You may want to consider a larger MPPT controller mounted in the van the two panels go to. You might even consider a whole second kit. Yes you will waste the money on a second controller but you will have redundancy and they are so cheap it's really not much money. You could even mount that one once you get your permanent van.

Options are good!
Bob

If I bought 24v. Soalr panels, I'm guessing I could use fewer panels, but would need a different controller.
I'm going to have a 12v fridge/refer, 2- Fantastic Fans, a TV and a laptop. If there's room in the Van, I will also include a Microwave. I want to overbuild to begin with.
I will certainly go MPPT. I also want low maintenance batteries.
Does the charge controller take care of the 24 to 12 stuff?

My goal is at least 600 watts on a Chevy/GMC 2500 Extended van, and 3 or 4 batteries. I'm trying to get the max solar on the roof and still include 2 F. Fans.
Any recommendations would be appreciated, I'm only a couple of weeks away from buying a van?

I don't think you need that much. I have 200W of solar & two batteries and run my 12V fridge, lights, fans and water pump as well as charging all my electronics. I do need sunshine. When the sun is high, in summer, even partly cloudy days are no problem. In winter, clear skies are more necessary, which is why I go to AZ.

Judging by the 2 answers I got, maybe 600 Watts is too much. I will be repairing PC's & Laptops out of my van for extra money. Since this is a new build, I wanted to have plenty. I will also be boondocking and don't want to run out of juice on non-sunny day(s).

I'm still curious if I put 24V panels up, does the charge controller take care of charging 12V batteries, or do I have to wire the system for 24V? I've been doing a lot of reading and am i bit lost right now.
Maybe I should just stay at 3- 100 watt 12V. panels and 2-3 batteries. I like Renogy, so I'll buy what they have through Bobs link.

you can never have to much solar. most mppt controllers take the 24v and knock it down to 12v. highdesertranger

It's not a question of 'too much solar'. It's a question of how much you really require and how much you can afford. Six batteries would be pretty expensive to replace. JMHO.

Storage of power is the key.

We have one top commenter here who only has one battery,  He is in sunny So Cal.  It serves his limited needs extremely well. 

I have 4 AGM industrial batteries that I got a real deal on.  448 amp hours of 12volt.  I only have 2 100 W panels, but means of charging the batteries from my motor.  Befor I got my panels, I could go more than a week without a recharge.  (A days driving) 

First figure out how much power you will be using on an average day.

Attachments

• jp photos 033.jpg
    jp photos 033.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • jp photos 036.jpg
    jp photos 036.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
wagoneer said:
You don't need solar,,,, you want it.

Just like TP.  For some when working it is a necessity.  Life is so much more comfortable!

Gadget728 said:
My goal is at least 600 watts on a Chevy/GMC 2500 Extended van, and 3 or 4 batteries. I'm trying to get the max solar on the roof and still include 2 F. Fans.
Any recommendations would be appreciated, I'm only a couple of  weeks away from buying a van?

I have a friend who put two 315 watt Kyoceras on the roof of his van for 630 watts and he also had one fantastic fan on the roof. There may have been room for a second, I don't remember. So it can be done. 

If you think you need the power and you can afford it, then get it!!! When there is a week of rain in Quartzsite in December, you'll be the only one in camp with full batteries and still working! I had 580 watts and we had 3 weeks of rain in Flagstaff one year--I was the only one in camp with power!

Buy for the worst weather and conditions!!

Yes, the MPPT controller takes whatever voltage the panel is producing and steps down the volts and increases the amps, that way all the power your panels make actually goes into the battery. 
Bob

Thanks Bob, I was hoping you would chime in. I actually composed a letter to you a couple of weeks ago when I made my decision to go full RV, but never sent it. I know you get lots of letters and wanted to wait until things were more definite and didn't want to bother you.
We are awaiting the bank to release money from a 401k to my sister to make the sale of my house official, we've already signed the papers. Craigslist has a couple of Chevy Express extended vans and will buy one soon and outfit it for living in ASAP. I'll be headed your way, to get my feet wet, so to speak, because I've watched a lot of your videos and read bunches of your posts and feel I could learn from you. (If that's OK with you) I've always been able to make money on my own, so I'm not worried about that.
I will be able to afford a couple of the 260 Watt, 24 V. panels, and all the needed hardware, plus I think I'll go with a 6 V. battery bank. I'm buying it all through your page so you get something for all your hard work. I have an electrician buddy who will trade computer work for elec. work. 520 watts with 4 batteries should be plenty for now.
YOU are my main reason for doing this. After watching the video "without bound", I felt like I was part of a larger family I had never met!!

I love getting letters like yours, thank you so much for all that great feedback! That makes all the long hours hunched over a keyboard more than worth it!!

It sounds like you have a great plan!!! I honestly believe the best part of your life is coming up. You ARE part of a large family you've never met!
Bob

Bob what might be a good estimate in todays dollars as to how much your set up cost and if you don't mind me being too nosy where did you put your batteries?

I've really been pondering this question because I'll be going to Ehrenberg with nothing and in part(aside from my saving to put a down payment on my home base chunk of dirt) I'm staying there to save up to pay for a decent power plant I can use in my traveling vehicle.

Here's what I absolutely know I will need to use while on the road:

PC with a 850 watt power supply plus 24" monitor.  I use this for my education and some programs I use just do not play well on my laptop.
15" laptop(aka craptop) which I will mostly use when I don't have to be on my PC
Big Mouth juicer 800 watt
I'll probably end up with a similar hotspot as you since I'm online a TON.  I'd appreciate being pointed to any posts you have about your set up.

I don't know what's better; should I use my TV or use my PC and laptop to watch TV?

I can use a cooler for awhile until I have the money for a 12 volt fridge and I will need a freezer as well.

I'm also considering this generator:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6I1WUC?psc=1

At this time I have a satellite dish to make into a solar cooker and I'll need to build a solar oven.  I can use something like this to cook with as well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DPJP0O?psc=1

I prefer AGM batteries over others.  I would not be surprised to find I have forgotten to check my batteries and cook one.  Also having been witness to an exploding battery I'd sleep much better using AGMs.  It was a nasty mess to clean up.  Baking soda is your friend.

Also, just because I love them I would love to string up some of my LED Christmas lights.

I'm open to all suggestions.

I answer what I know.
any battery can explode. not common but it does happen.
that fire ring you posted a link to is not legal when burn restrictions are on. right now most of the west is under burn restrictions. burn restriction include all wood and charcoal/coal fires. in extreme conditions they include small gas powered equipment like the generator you linked to.
highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
any battery can explode.  not common but it does happen.
that fire ring you posted a link to is not legal when burn restrictions are on.  right now most of the west is under burn restrictions.  burn restriction include all wood and charcoal/coal fires.  in extreme conditions they include small gas powered equipment like the generator you linked to.

Not every battery vents.  BTDT, cleaned up the mess.  I like candles.

Fire restrictions are a common occurrence I have experienced many times having lived in the west most of my life and most will be rescinded after monsoon season if not around November.  The only reason I included it was to pre-answer the questions of what I am going to cook with, although I unintentionally left out the woodstove.  I was hoping that by showing the options it would remove the need to consider them at this time in discussing my solar power needs.

Solar is a bad choice for heating, unless you are a cat in a sunny window.   :D

Those are heavy demands for solar. I'd suggest 600 watts of solar and 4 golf cart batteries.

$600 for 2 Kyocera 315 panels
$500 for controller
$1000 for 4 agm golf carts.
$100 (or more) for misc feet, fuses and wires.

Be sure you can fit the panels on your roof. Stop into Flagstaff and buy everything but the batteries, buy those in Quartzsite (Full River)
Bob