How Much Smell

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
Anyone out there using a portable chemical toilet? If so how much smell do they emit, after say two uses?

the phrase "chemical Toilet" really isn't the same as it use to be because nobody(dump stations) wants the old chemicals in their system. the newer type chemicals are all septic and treatment plant friendly. no formaldehydes, no bleaches, etc. I have a Thetford port-a-pottie it really doesn't smell but a rarely use it because of the hassle. highdesertranger

None really. When it's in use there is sometimes an odor. Odor is worse if using toilet for liquids and solids(when open). We use an orange concentrate that works great for 6-7 days, then dump another shot of concentrate in.

If you're using a concentrate odor control break down product, for 2 uses, no odor except for when using.

Edit: Ours is also porti potty, not a chemical toilet if that's different.

I have one, I use about half the recommended blue stuff, never pee in it, and I have kept it with poo for almost a month without any odour in warm temperatures.

I started with a camping toilet (porta potty). Works great until you have to dump it. It smells horrible, even with the recommended chemicals added. Dumping in a public restroom would be like setting off a WMD. I now seperate the solids from liquids and the difference is night and day.

I now have a 5-gallon bucket with a Luggable Loo seat/lid and a urine diverter. The poop goes into a plastic bag and then into an airtight container until thrown away. The pee goes into 1-gallon jugs. The plastic bags I use are the Walmart style shopping bags. You can get 1000 for $18 shipped.

u1-2.jpg

Attachments

• u1-2.jpg
    u1-2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 7
After decades of using a Thetford Porta Potti I now have a composting toilet and wish that I'd switched much earlier. ..Willy.

Been using 3.5 gallon bucket with Peat Moss (for 6 years) only poop no pee, no smell. Hey Willy how you been?

wagoneer said:
Been using 3.5 gallon bucket with Peat Moss (for 6 years) only poop no pee, no smell. Hey Willy how you been?

Been really busy. Both parents now in an Alzheimer's ward, house sold, and now footloose again. How's life been treating you? ..Willy

RogerD said:
I started with a camping toilet (porta potty). Works great until you have to dump it. It smells horrible, even with the recommended chemicals added. Dumping in a public restroom would be like setting off a WMD. I now seperate the solids from liquids and the difference is night and day.

I now have a 5-gallon bucket with a Luggable Loo seat/lid and a urine diverter. The poop goes into a plastic bag and then into an airtight container until thrown away. The pee goes into 1-gallon jugs. The plastic bags I use are the Walmart style shopping bags. You can get 1000 for $18 shipped.

Where did you get the urine diverter?

I use a 7 gallon bucket with a luggable loo seat. I put Walmart bags in the bucket with a couple of handfuls of hamster shavings, also from Walmart. Single use design and I don’t pee in bucket, that goes in a reusable jug. When I’m done with the bucket I tie the bag closed and replace it with a new one.

Very convenient and cheap setup. The only problem is it won’t satisfy the “ten gallon holding tank” requirement of the BLM or National Forests or whoever checks for that type of thing.

RogerD,
I too would like to know where you got that urine diverter. Women of a certain age (and having borne children) are often unable to not pee while pooping. Inquiring minds want to know.

" The only problem is it won’t satisfy the “ten gallon holding tank” requirement of the BLM or National Forests. "  BLM and NF don't have a holding tank requirement for regular dispersed camping. They do have a holding tank requirement for some long term sites.

:DSheketEchad said:
I'm not the original poster about the diverter, 

That's hilarious! I never thought of that. I checked one for size, and it would have to be cut to fit the 12" rim of the 5 gallon buckets, but there's one that looks sturdy enough to do it. At $4.15, I'm going to see if it would work. 
Thanks for the idea. 
Oz