How much room for tank fittings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put a 10 gall. tank in my van and the specs say it measures "19 inches high not including fittings":

https://www.amazon.com/Class-Custom...96ca3&pd_rd_wg=G9gGf&pd_rd_i=B007MSDYFQ&psc=1

It will mount under a counter with 20" clearance below.  I'll need to add fittings at the top for filling and one for a 3/8" outlet plus a vent.

I guess 3/4" ID tubing would work for the fill.

Will 1" clearance be enough?

(I wasn't sure where to post this)

You need to check the diagrams in the ad.....

You need to have a fitting near the bottom of the tank for the water outlet to your pump........and a fitting near the top for FILL.......and you also need a vent so it can burp

You have a choice of a 1/2" or a 1 1/2" female fitting already molded into the tank

I would use the Side/bottom Half-inch for the pump

...........the Side/top Half-inch for the vent

...........and cut open the Side/top large One and one-half-inch for the fill

Are you going to be able to access fittings by removing panels of the enclosure? If not the tank will have to be removed every time a fitting has to be tightened or a line removed. The fittings you buy come with specs but generally you will need more than 1 inch especially if a time comes you need to slide it out. Will you angle it to drain it completely? There may be a time you need to to prevent freezing. It seems there ain’t none of this stuff easy! Lol!!!

abnorm said:
You need to have a fitting near the bottom of the tank for the water outlet to your pump........and a fitting near the top for FILL.......and you also need a vent so it can burp

You have a choice of a 1/2" or a 1 1/2" female fitting already molded into the tank

I would use the Side/bottom Half-inch for the pump

...........the Side/top Half-inch for the vent

...........and cut open the Side/top large One and one-half-inch for the fill

Hmm. I guess I screwed up because I thought I could mount it with the holes for the fittings at the top and connect all at 90 degrees. But now I see for the pump that won't work unless I could run tubing down to the bottom of the tank.

Oh well, I just ordered the tank and do have a Position B where I can mount it.

Thanks..

bullfrog said:
Are you going to be able to access fittings by removing panels of the enclosure? If not the tank will have to be removed every time a fitting has to be tightened or a line removed. The fittings you buy come with specs but generally you will need more than 1 inch especially if a time comes you need to slide it out. Will you angle it to drain it completely? There may be a time you need to to prevent freezing. It seems there ain’t none of this stuff easy! Lol!!!

It will be easily accessible but now looks like probably in a different location.

My travels in recent years end around Nov.1 in AZ before it gets real cold and I'll empty it then and not have to mess with it again until the next spring.

Or maybe put in antifreeze of some sort and then drain and flush in the spring?

I am installing one of their tanks right now. the tanks come with 4 fittings two 1.5 inch and two 1/2 inch.

The two 1.5 inch are closed you open the one you want to use. they are used for filling.

One of the 1/2' fittings is for a breather and one is to draw water from. Both 1/2" come open.

This allows for the tank to be mounted on any of 4 sides depending on the orientation you want.

I will add some pictures tomorrow. any questions ask away.

Highdesertranger

The various fittings I had figured out OK but what I wanted to do was install the tank vertically with the fittings at the top.

It's in a van so I'm working with limited floor space.

For the vent and pump connections I'd use 3/8" tubing on 90deg. 1/2" fittings like below:

2110802.jpg

Then I realized that I would need to add a pipe or tubing to the pump fitting that would extend down to the bottom of the tank.

I would also need a 90deg. elbow for the larger fill fitting and that's where the clearance issue would be.

So anyway I ordered the tank but might end up mounting it differently. Or I may raise the counter up some to make room.

Attachments

• 2110802.jpg
    2110802.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts